Western Union money transfer

Have you filled out the on line registration form with Rapipago/Western Union?

I indicated my nationality as the United States when filling out the form.

If it was necessary to declare my nationality when making the first transfer from my US bank account to my Argentine bank account,I'm sure I would have indicated my nationality as The United States when entering my Argentine bank info..

I do have an Argentine DNI/CUIT entered in the WU system.

I wonder if the system recognizes that I have a DNI number that indicates I am a foreigner,

In any case, I'm sure entering her nationality as Argentine worked for Nikad because she is an Argentine citizen.

It's been several weeks since I made my second bank to bank transfer and I won't make another until February.

Since I made the second transfer, Artisans wrote that he could not make a bank to bank transfer, but when I initiated a new transfer today (without completing it), it looked like it was possible.

Of course that last step could be a doozy.
The forms etc have the actual data WU system would just not take the Arg account unless I set nationality to Arg ( must be due to cuil etc ) This was all under my husband's name and US and Arg accounts. He is a US citizen with Arg perm residency.

I set nationality to Argentine when entering the Arg bank account, otherwise I would get an error. That did the trick.
Thanks for your answer. Which part did you set nationality for the recipient's account in? I don't see a nationality field in the recipient form in Western Union Web page :(

Thanks for your answer. Which part did you set nationality for the recipient's account in? I don't see a nationality field in the recipient form in Western Union Web page :(
When you add the recipient's bank acct.

I just downloaded the WU app and if I send 25.000 pesos within Argentina to be picked up in dollars, the net amount (which includes a $500 peso promo) would be $327,20 USD which equals a rate of $77,93 ARS to ONE USD!

PS: The WU Argentine app won't let me send USD from my US bank account to my Argentine bank account and the WU USA app is "not compatible" with any of my devices.

Would a VPN solve that problem?
If you use an android phone make two play accounts (google) one usa one Argentina, logout and switch users depending on what app you want to download. You can switch region in one account only once per 18months or something, that's why you need two distinct user accounts. I have both apps on my phone.

Have you filled out the on line registration form with Rapipago/Western Union?
I indicated my nationality as the United States when filling out the form.
If it was necessary to declare my nationality when making the first transfer from my US bank account to my Argentine bank account,I'm sure I would have indicated my nationality as The United States when entering my Argentine bank info..
I do have an Argentine DNI/CUIT entered in the WU system.
I wonder if the system recognizes that I have a DNI number that indicates I am a foreigner,
In any case, I'm sure entering her nationality as Argentine worked for Nikad because she is an Argentine citizen.
It's been several weeks since I made my second bank to bank transfer and I won't make another until February.
Since I made the second transfer, Artisans wrote that he could not make a bank to bank transfer, but when I initiated a new transfer today (without completing it), it looked like it was possible.
Of course that last step could be a doozy.
Just to note so any comments from Artisan don't complicate others efforts. All experience is based only on the use of WU / US website and Customer Service for transfers. Artisan has avoided any phone apps (Arg or US) and no VPN, no Rapipago/Western Union.

Just to note so any comments from Artisan don't complicate others efforts. All experience is based only on the use of WU / US website and Customer Service for transfers. Artisan has avoided any phone apps (Arg or US) and no VPN, no Rapipago/Western Union.

I did not use the phone app or a VPN, either, but I did complete the registration with Rapipago/Western Union after clicking on the link in the email I received as the recipient of the first transfer. If you did not complete the registration (basically a DD,JJ.), perhaps that created a problem in completing your bank to bank transfer.

How did you communicate with Western Union customer service, by phone. email, or by online chat? Did the CSR say anything abut the registration form for Argentina?

PS: As of this morning, the WU rate is $80,87 ARS to one USD.

How about taxes? Can they ask you to pay taxes if you repeatedly do this?

I am no tax expert, but I think this applies to any "significant" deposits into your bank account (no matter if it is via cryptocurrency, Transferwise, western union, cash deposit, transfer from another Argentinian bank ...). From what I understand the AFIP monitors your bank accounts. Consequently, I would think that they start to investigate if there is no declared income but a significant amount of money coming in. I have a monotributo and do declare income. I am making sure that the sales reported via my monotributo are equal (or a little greater) than the amount of money deposited into my bank accounts. There are probably other ways to declare it like "Ayuda Familiar" - saying your family abroad is supporting you financially.

I did not use the phone app or a VPN, either, but I did complete the registration with Rapipago/Western Union after clicking on the link in the email I received as the recipient of the first transfer. If you did not complete the registration (basically a DD,JJ.), perhaps that created a problem in completing your bank to bank transfer.
How did you communicate with Western Union customer service, by phone. email, or by online chat? Did the CSR say anything abut the registration form for Argentina?
PS: As of this morning, the WU rate is $80,87 ARS to one USD.
Hmmm, will look back through their e-mails for any links. Did not notice any, but then again my successful transfers have only been for pay with debit card / cash pick up. In practical terms the thing that has stopped bank to bank transfers has been an "Oops!" error message pointing to vague Receiver bank account information. And as noted earlier, when they 'investigated' the error message their solution was 'it's not possible for Argentina'.
I have communicated with WU US Customer Service in all modes: phone, e-mail and Chat.
They have never mentioned/suggested a registration form.
The one useful bit of information CSR provided when I couldn't place a cash pickup order was that I should remove all data (bank account, address, telephone #) of the receiver except the name of the Receiver. After removing all, it went through successfully and immediately. At the WU pick up location they just verify the Receiver name with passport or DNI and hand over the cash.
Update Note: After checking through all the e-mails received from WU, there were no links or mention of a Registration.

Last edited:
Back