Western Union money transfer

Was that at a major branch of Western Union? Did they say all the Western Union branches have no cash for pickup today?
Armenia,Palermo...several people waiting for pickup, left and went to another...

I don't know how much you sent but when I send a large amount there is only certain western unions that have that much money. The ones where many people are paying their bills are the best as they have a constant money flow . I just sent 2 small transfers I will let you know how it went when they try to pick it up

I don't know how much you sent but when I send a large amount there is only certain western unions that have that much money. The ones where many people are paying their bills are the best as they have a constant money flow . I just sent 2 small transfers I will let you know how it went when they try to pick it up
Yes,certain times of the month are slower due to the billing cycles !

Western Union is playing games today, no cash for pickups, the rate is going down, and your transaction rate is not guaranteed until pickup..!
Yesterday the WU rate for sending dollars in cash from the US and picking up pesos in cash in Argentina was $79.21

Today it's $78.70

I asked at a kiosko in Punta Alta this morning and they told me there would be no problem getting $100.000 per day, but I have yet to actually try to do so...

Yesterday the WU rate for sending dollars in cash from the US and picking up pesos in cash in Argentina was $79.21
Today it's $78.70
I asked at a kiosko in Punta Alta this morning and they told me there would be no problem getting $100.000 per day, but I have yet to actually try to do so...
Steveinbsas, the question that seemed to be hanging in the wind yesterday was how to obtain the exchange rate, $79+. Clearly someone must go with cash to the WU in the place of origin of the transfer. I contacted WU via their chat window and asked regards a transfer to Argentina #1 if someone could carry my cash and govt id and initiate the transfer to myself. No, the govt ID must be the name of the person showing up with the cash. #2 A person, not yourself can make the transfer to someone at Argentina, by going in person and paying in cash, presenting their own govt ID. #3 The transfer will be made at the high rate, e.g., $79+ pesos #4 The rate is fixed at the time the transfer is initiated, will not change en route or at delivery. The receiver will receive the rate fixed at the time the transfer is set up. So says WU representative via WU Chat.
If the transfer was U$1000 and you're receiving $79,000 pesos minus the nominal transfer fee versus $68 peso or an HSBC bank transfer around $58 pesos / usd ... you end up either U$182 or U$362 above those lower exchange rates with a $79+ peso exchange. Vale la pena me parece, assuming you can find a WU outlet here to hand over the pesos.

Last edited:
Steveinbsas, the question that seemed to be hanging in the wind yesterday was how to obtain the exchange rate, $79+. Clearly someone must go with cash to the WU in the place of origin of the transfer. I contacted WU via their chat window and asked regards a transfer to Argentina #1 if someone could carry my cash and govt id and initiate the transfer to myself. No, the govt ID must be the name of the person showing up with the cash. #2 A person, not yourself can make the transfer to someone at Argentina, by going in person and paying in cash, presenting their own govt ID.

This is correct, but it looks like it is also possible for the receiver (me) to go to the WU US website and (as a guest) set up the transfer with the sender's name and phone number. Then the sender (supposedly) has 12 hours to go to a WU agency and send the funds at the "locked in" rate.

As my sister-in-law has a debit card for my trust account, all she has to to is go to an ATM (often located in the same business that offers Western Union services: 7-11's, U.S. Bank, and Walgreen's (ans many others), get the cash and pay for the transfer, which I will have already set up on line with her name and phone number as well as my name and Argentine ID (CUIT/CUIL). My email will be included in the info I will enter when setting up the transfer, so she shouldn't have to go on line to do anything

Last edited:
This is correct, but it looks like it is also possible for the receiver (me) to go to the WU US website and (as a guest) set up the transfer with the sender's name and phone number. Then the sender (supposedly) has 12 hours to go to a WU agency and send the funds at the "locked in" rate.

As my sister-in-law has a debit card for my trust account, all she has to to is go to an ATM (often located in the same business that offers Western Union services: 7-11's, U.S. Bank, and Walgreen's (ans many others), get the cash and pay for the transfer, which I will have already set up on line with her name and phone number as well as my name and Argentine ID (CUIT/CUIL). My email will be included in the info I will enter when setting up the transfer, so she shouldn't have to go on line to do anything
Excellent wrinkle to this story of using WU! Thank you for adding it. I'm researching a friend to make the payment for me, and use PayPal to send him the money.

Back