Western Union money transfer

I must say and somewhat off-topic but 13 years ago I could not have imagined 80 pesos to 1 USD, not in my wildest dreams. And so fast at that this like all going down overnight in many ways. Amazing and not in a good way.

These exchange rates in WU for Argentina are unique, may be an error in the system?. A rate of 20 % higher than the blue rate.?

Checked WU Chile and if you do the CASH/CASH options you get a rate of $720 CPL pesos to 1 Dollar, the Official Rate , all other options offer a rate of $666. CPL pesos which is 8 % lower than the official rate?

Western Union had been paying the official rate and if you did it online you got 7 to 8 pesos less . On Oct. 1st I sent a transfer and paid in store at 55.78 .The online option paid 48ish . The official rate was 55.50 . Sometime between then and Oct 21st the next time I sent money It went to 77 and 67 rates way over the official rate . This had never happened in the years I have used it . The rates you saw for Chile is how it used to show the Argentine peso . So who knows when it will disappear . I have not looked today but yesterday it went from 74.43 to 76.22. If I was down there I would be getting transfers daily

Western Union is also offering great rates right now for anyone sending money from the UK. I got someone to send some money this week and it was more or less at the blue rate. They sent the money via a bank transfer, which was the cheapest option, and I picked it up in cash.

I must say and somewhat off-topic but 13 years ago I could not have imagined 80 pesos to 1 USD, not in my wildest dreams. And so fast at that this like all going down overnight in many ways. Amazing and not in a good way.

it’s not like you really feel it, it would have been great(for expats) if the dollar had risen without the massive inflation. Honestly I feel like even at 80 I would still get less for my dollars then when it was at 4.

I see a few posts saying you need someone to deposit the dollars cash back home. Does anyone know if WU allows sending money to yourself? I.e. you pay online with a credit card, pick up cash at a WU location in BA, you being both the sender and receiver. The reason I'm asking is because you need to provide receiver information such as what the transfer is for, your relationship to them, etc. and there is no option similar to "I'm sending money to myself." So I'm not sure if the transaction would bounce when picking it up.

it’s not like you really feel it, it would have been great(for expats) if the dollar had risen without the massive inflation. Honestly I feel like even at 80 I would still get less for my dollars then when it was at 4.

I came to Argentina in 2004 and the peso was 2.80 per dollar then and certainly the cost of living in dollars was much cheaper than now . Its an illusion that how many of the currency one recieves defines if it is cheap or not . One dollar buys 742 chilean pesos or 108 japenese yen . These tow countries are much dearer than Argentina .

In 2004 a coffee and three medialunas was 1 dollar , empanadas were three for a dollar, lunch specials were 3 dollars . Today all these items are at least twice as dear or more .

In 2003 the McDonalds ice cream cone was 33 US Cents today sells for 60 US cents.

Back