Western Union money transfer

Update2: I initiated a second transfer yesterday and I received a message today that the money has been passed onto the bank already for crediting — with the usual register to make sure they are no delays in the future link which suggests this is an automated message since I had register already — so the money shooooould credit tomorrow I guess. So obviously a transfer can arrive at any time between 1-6 biz days, any logic escapes me at this point haha.

Update3: Okay everyone. Final update. Despite receiving the notification within 24hs of initiating the transfer -- I actually received 2 notifications 2-3 days apart -- I only received the money today at exactly 6pm. So based on my 2 data points and others' experience I can now confirm that any WU transfer initiated to an ARG Bank account takes exactly 5 business days and the money posts at 6pm (or a few minutes before) on the fifth business day.

Last edited:
After trying for a few weeks, I just successfully transferred funds via WU from my US bank account. I've recently been wiring funds from Citi/NY to Santander/BA, withdrawing dollars, taking them to my change guy next door to the bank, and then returning to the bank to deposit pesos. When I first heard about the WU opportunities in early January, I googled for more information and stumbled into this thread (after not opening the forum in at least a year!) Thanks to everyone - especially stevinbsas - for all the worthwhile tips and details.

In addition to the issues everyone else has noted, I've been stumped for some weeks now by a problem others might encounter. So I'll document it for future reference here.

When I first tried to sign up, WU responded that my email address was already in use. I recovered the password but still encountered errors trying to log in. I finally called, and an agent reset the account so I could log in.

Thereafter, whenever I tried to order a transfer - via bank transfer or debit card - sooner or later I got a message C1992: "We're sorry, but we can't process this transaction. You can always send cash at a Western Union agent location." At times other errors appeared, but these were transient or I could work around them. But sooner or later the "sorry, we can't process this transaction" message ended the session.

2 different chat agents told me "Western Union is subject to a number of economic sanctions and restrictions imposed by the United States and other countries, and it appears based on the information that you have provided that the transaction might violate one or more of these sanctions programs." But they couldn't provide any more specific information, nor could they refer me to anyone who could.

Finally today, I carefully read the entire 45 pages of this thread, expecting to find the solution. When I didn't, I decided to begin at the beginning and created a new userid with a different email address, and this fixed the problem. Apparently the old account, unused in probably 20 years, was contaminated in some way that can't be fixed online or by the agents. Now everything works as described by the helpful foristas.

Btw, they charged $100 for a transfer U$ 2.000 from a US account to a cash pick up here. Still a net rate of 78,4 ars/usd without the hassle of importing dollars.

Hi there
I about to leave for a vacation in Argentina and need to transfer some money via WU, anybody knows which branch is the best for picking up +100k pesos?
Michael

Sent 500 more dollars last week and got it last night in my Arg account without issue.

Hi there I about to leave for a vacation in Argentina and need to transfer some money via WU, anybody knows which branch is the best for picking up +100k pesos? Michael
Pres. José Evaristo Uriburu 1230, At the entrance of a Disco supermarket, between Arenales and Junin. Very reliable, short lines, enter a separate office (not out in the open)

Hi there
I about to leave for a vacation in Argentina and need to transfer some money via WU, anybody knows which branch is the best for picking up +100k pesos?
Michael
I use the Pago Facil / Western Union on Peru near Casa Rosado. They always have enough money. I get my monthly transfer there.

Can someone confirm the current situation trying to buy dollars. My understanding is the official 'rate' published everywhere (63 or whatever) actually is useless to those who want to buy dollars since you need to add 30% tax on top? So if I want to buy dollars through my bank the rate is actually 81 or so pesos instead of the 63 and the limit is $200 USD per month? The dolar blue is offering a better rate? Can someone confirm WTF is going on now and the best ideas on what to do with a lot of pesos that I don't want to hold onto.

Buy dollars. If you're bringing the pesos to the exchange you're on the wrong end of the deal.

Back