Western Union money transfer

Hey everyone, just informing that my WU transfer went through successfully.

I sent money from my account abroad to someone else's account here in Argentina through Western Union using their Android app.
I chose "Faster Payments" and went ahead and sent the money to WU's account. By the way, in "reference" field they ask you to write "exactly" the characters they provide, but most of the time they don't fit. So just FYI if in "reference" field you put instead "EB0000000+only the person's last name(even incomplete if it doesn't fit)+AR" it will works. I was confused and thought it would be an issue if it wasn't exactly as they asked but it still works.

Around 1,2,3 hrs later WU will confirm your money arrived to them. And at some point, they will let you know that the money arrived to the other person's bank account. In my case having sent it on 12/04 they told me it would reach Argentina on 24/04 or 6 working days, but instead it arrived on 13/04 (the following day).

Best of luck for everyone with your transfers.

dolarhoy.com is what all the locals in my office use. It shows all 6 "dollars".

I would be careful about sending pesos from WU to a friend's Argentine bank account. From what I have been told you are allowed 55,000 per month into your bank account. After this AFIP will come after your friend. They might be hit with a tax bill at the end of the year. But this was something I was told, so it is not confirmed. Maybe someone has more concrete information about this. I would imagine that one transfer shouldn't cause too much trouble, but sending every month might create a problem.

I would be careful about sending pesos from WU to a friend's Argentine bank account. From what I have been told you are allowed 55,000 per month into your bank account. After this AFIP will come after your friend. They might be hit with a tax bill at the end of the year. But this was something I was told, so it is not confirmed. Maybe someone has more concrete information about this. I would imagine that one transfer shouldn't cause too much trouble, but sending every month might create a problem.
I have sent MYSELF 2-3x that amount per month and so far no problem. But your miles may vary. In Argentina anything can happen. I have been told that it might be a problem after about 3,000 USD within 90 days -- but even then it depends on the bank reporting that and an actual person flagging the transactions.

All of us who receive funds via WU transfers as a cash pick at a WU outlet or thru Correo ARG sign a "declaracion jurada" which states:
Usted declara haber leido y comprendido plenamente los terminos y condiciones que rigen las operaciones de giro y/o remesa de dinero , declarando bajo juramento y dejando expresa constancia que esta operacion es en concepto de ayuda familiar. En consecuencia, no correspondence la retencion del impuesto a las ganancias.
Translation: You declare that you have read and fully understand the terms and conditions that govern the money order and/or money transfer operations, declaring under oath and expressly stating that this operation is for family assistance. Consequently, the withholding of income tax does not correspond.

Do those who send themselves transfers from their foreign bank accounts to their ARG bank accounts sign a similar declaration?

Last edited:
I received from WU and didnt sign anything. I had a friend send me 150,000 and received. I would like to send more but I wouldn't mind some more information about what is likely to happen with AFIP.

I received from WU and didnt sign anything. I had a friend send me 150,000 and received. I would like to send more but I wouldn't mind some more information about what is likely to happen with AFIP.
I take it that you received the funds into your ARG bank account?

Back