Western Union money transfer

Wouldn't using a CC (at least one issued in the U.S.) have it count as a cash advance, which, depending on the card issuer, is subject to fees and often immediate assessment of interest?

Yes, didn't consider that. No points as well. Throws it out the window for me.

My cc says it doesn't charge a fee for cash advances. As for interest wouldn't you just pay it off immediately with the money you wanted to transfer? Haven't tried it yet but doesn't seem like a deal breaker yet.

My cc says it doesn't charge a fee for cash advances. As for interest wouldn't you just pay it off immediately with the money you wanted to transfer? Haven't tried it yet but doesn't seem like a deal breaker yet.
If you try it, let us know how you make out.

If you think that getting 6% less pesos for your dollars today than yesterday is a good deal, I imagine math was not your strongest subject.

Yesterday, transferring US$1000 would have given you 192,000 pesos. Today you would receive 181,700.

You've been registered on this site since 2010 and you're talking about the official exchange rate? Do you live here?
Yes, you have to pay a higher fee. $55 now I'm seeing. After paying the fee today you'd get $193,300 Pesos. So? Do you have access to dollars to take down to a cueva? The official rate, which I'm getting off of XE, is 99.23. Western Union is much higher and almost doubles the amount of Pesos over withdrawing from an ATM. How is that a bad deal? They raised their rates. Everything here in the States is going up. Will be there in January and be glad to have the Western Union rate as there's no other country where one can almost double his income with a simple transfer from his stateside bank account.

As of this morning:

Western Union vs. XOOM vs. Wise (formerly Transferwise) for bank to bank transfers

Western Union

1.00 USD = 193.3000 ARS

Transfer amount $500.00 USD

Transfer fee: 29.95 USD

Transfer total: $529.95 USD

Total to receiver: $96.650,00 ARS

XOOM

1 USD = 169,3512 ARS

Transfer fees: $12.99 USD

Transfer total: $512.99

Total to receiver: $84.675 ARS

Wise

1.00 USD = $99.23 ARS

Transfer fees: $10.92 USD

Transfer total: $500 USD

Amount to convert: $489.08

Total to receiver: $43.531,41 ARS

Last edited:
Yes, you have to pay a higher fee. $55 now I'm seeing. After paying the fee today you'd get $193,300 Pesos. So? Do you have access to dollars to take down to a cueva? The official rate, which I'm getting off of XE, is 99.23. Western Union is much higher and almost doubles the amount of Pesos over withdrawing from an ATM. How is that a bad deal? They raised their rates. Everything here in the States is going up. Will be there in January and be glad to have the Western Union rate as there's no other country where one can almost double his income with a simple transfer from his stateside bank account.
Ok. Clearly you don't understand anything that I said. Let's leave it at that.

Ok. Clearly you don't understand anything that I said. Let's leave it at that.
I understand that you're upset that Western Union raised its fee. But let's say you're in Colombia. You're getting the official exchange rate there minus fees. So $1000 USD gets you $1000 USD worth of Colombian Pesos minus the fee. In Argentina you're getting over $1940 USD worth of pesos minus the fee. How is that possibly a bad deal even if they charge a higher fee?

I understand that you're upset that Western Union raised its fee. But let's say you're in Colombia. You're getting the official exchange rate there minus fees. So $1000 USD gets you $1000 USD worth of Colombian Pesos minus the fee. In Argentina you're getting over $1940 USD worth of pesos minus the fee. How is that possibly a bad deal even if they charge a higher fee?

Apparently in Colombia there is no blue rate? or gap between official and parallel rate..?

Back