Western Union money transfer

What is the process in receiving WU pesos in person? Can the "receiver" be someone not from Argentina? It looks like it asks for a DNI for the reeiver and an argentina nationality, etc, which is not something most foreigners will have.

Yes, the receiver can be someone not from Argentina, so a DNI is not required-

All you need is the Western Union tracking number and a government issued ID (passport is the best).

That's all that is required to pick up the funds in person at a Western Union agency.

The names on the ID and the transfer must match exactly. so, if your middle/maiden name(s) is/are on your ID, the transfer details must include them.

A few months ago, one expat was told they would need a CDI to pick up future transfers, but no one else has had the same experience and that expat has since received more transfers without being asked a second time for a CDI.

If the spread gets big enough in the opposite direction could we start changing the pesos bought with blue dollars and western union them back to our US bank accounts?

DIGITAL0FEE won't work sending ARS to Dollar but WU will sometimes give out one time use codes if you have a service problem that work anywhere.

All you need is the Western Union tracking number and a government issued ID (passport is the best).
That's all that is required to pick up the funds in person at a Western Union agency.
I went with my brother to WU when he visited Argentina in pre-covid era. He showed his foreign passport and they asked him about his occupation. They just needed a verbal description in generic terms to put into some form. All in spanish, naturally, so, I had to translate.

I went with my brother to WU when he visited Argentina in pre-covid era. He showed his foreign passport and they asked him about his occupation. They just needed a verbal description in generic terms to put into some form. All in spanish, naturally, so, I had to translate.
I only picked up funds in person at a WU agency twice in Bahia Blanca (Nov and Dec, 2019). After reading this post I remembered I was asked the same question. I answered with the words "estoy pensionado" and that was aĺl they needed.

What is the process in receiving WU pesos in person? Can the "receiver" be someone not from Argentina? It looks like it asks for a DNI for the reeiver and an argentina nationality, etc, which is not something most foreigners will have.
I use WU every month. From my US checking account. Send money to myself. I use my US passport for ID. I have never been asked for my DNI.

I'll be in Argentina very soon and will want to take out a bit of cash through WU. Do I just add a new receiver as myself on WU and then go to a WU branch to pick it up with my passport ID?

How much can you usually take out from a WU without any issues (lack of cash etc)?

No one has problems sending money to themselves for cash pick-up.....except me. Always. WU hates me. I once sent money to God...even God couldn't help me.

@hotfuzz I asked a similar question a few weeks ago (i wanted to take out 300-400k), and was recommended to split into two transactions 150-200k. I am arriving soon so will let you know how it goes..

@hotfuzz I asked a similar question a few weeks ago (i wanted to take out 300-400k), and was recommended to split into two transactions 150-200k. I am arriving soon so will let you know how it goes..

When are you going? I'll be there on the 4th of January so I might be the one to tell you first. :)

Back