Western Union money transfer

Hey everyone! do we think that DIGITAL0FEE will expire in 2022? Thinking if I should send money today or just wait until next week..

No one knows. And right now you get more off the street than WU. The Cuevas on Florida are giving 204. Trying to take out 400k by WU could cause issues since there is only 1 that I know of (on cordoda) that will have that amount to give. And even there they might give it all to you in 200s. You'll walk out with about a bazillion bills. It's better to just send it as you need it. Something like 50k at a time.. or trade usd on the street. Keep in mind that it is hard to spend a lot of money I'm Argentina compared to American and European prices. I eat out 3 times a day and pay all daily expenses in cash and I still barely manage to spend 40k over a weekend including all food in nice restaurants and drinks all nights and taxis and everything else.

When are you going? I'll be there on the 4th of January so I might be the one to tell you first. :)

I have just arrived. I went round to a few WUs - most were closed, the two that were open said "we're not processing this type of request today, try again on Monday". Doubt any will be open tomorrow but will try again.

I assume the Cuevas will be operating tomorrow? As someone who has never done this before - I assume just walking down the main roads near tourist destinations and I'll hear people shouting "Dollars exchange" and then making sure I get >200:1...? Any other advice?

I have just arrived. I went round to a few WUs - most were closed, the two that were open said "we're not processing this type of request today, try again on Monday". Doubt any will be open tomorrow but will try again.

I assume the Cuevas will be operating tomorrow? As someone who has never done this before - I assume just walking down the main roads near tourist destinations and I'll hear people shouting "Dollars exchange" and then making sure I get >200:1...? Any other advice?
you will have a hard time doing anything tomorrow. if you are staying at an airbnb ask yr host if they want to buy some dollars and that would patch u up till monday...

Nothing will be happening on New Years Day
Best place Mon-Sat is Florida street downtown (aka "Microcentro"). They call out "cambio" which means "change".
And I live for a week on 20K or less, not including my rent.

SnowedIn99
Be careful. Don’t take a lot of cash with you to calle Florida. There are poor people on almost every block from corrientes to santa fe repeating the words cambio cambio all day long. Try to choose someone that looks honest and ask Que es la taza? What is the rate? Maybe ask a couple of different people to compare the vibes. Don’t use your cell phone on the streets here if you can help it. Also bring a hidden money pouch if you have one. Bring a backpack in case they give you all 100s. Always be aware of your surroundings. If. something doesn’t feel safe, just walk away and find a different person a couple of blocks away. Go with a friend if possible.

It's always good to be cautious, but Florida street is relatively safe during the day. There are lots of cops.
In a general overall sense, Macanudo's advice is good, but Buenos Aires is not Juarez.

"The following 50 cities have the highest murder rates in the world of all cities not at war, with a population of at least 300,000 people, and all relevant data available online".

Tijuana is #1, followed by Juarez. St Louis, MO is #9, and Baltimore, MD is #11, Detroit is down at #34
Buenos Aires isn't even on the list, nor is any other city in Argentina.

Last edited:
It's always good to be cautious, but Florida street is relatively safe during the day. There are lots of cops.
In a general overall sense, Macanudo's advice is good, but Buenos Aires is not Juarez.

"The following 50 cities have the highest murder rates in the world of all cities not at war, with a population of at least 300,000 people, and all relevant data available online".

Tijuana is #1, followed by Juarez. St Louis, MO is #9, and Baltimore, MD is #11, Detroit is down at #34
Buenos Aires isn't even on the list, nor is any other city in Argentina.

I'd been so many places and I hear this stuff all the time. People act like you can't even walk down the street in some places without getting robbed every 2 blocks. There are very few places around the world as dangerous as people make things out to be. Yes it's good to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you're at in the world but there is no need to walk around being afraid of your own shadow.

Back