Western Union money transfer

I've used Xoom for many years but recently started using Western Union to transfer money from the U.S. to family members in BsAs. Paying with a debit card is a bit more expensive than directly from the bank, but WU wants the user name and password to my Schwab account for that. Insane?! I even called WU directly to make certain I hadn't being redirected to a scam website. Yes, they said, we want your user name and password. This sounds like a terrible requirement and a terrible idea to comply with, even with their heartfelt assurances of safety.

Has anyone actually done this?

Also, every year or so Xoom (actually AFIP) would require much personal/financial information emailed to them through Xoom before permitting further transfers. The last time it seems they wanted even more than the usual, including a copy of my pension documents (not merely the payment statements). All is aboveboard, but I really do not like emailing sensitive personal & banking information, and through a 3rd party at that.

Western Union hasn't asked for such things --- will they eventually?

We currently transfer funds from the U.S. to the bank accounts of family members in Argentina, but will send to ourselves also if we move back to Argentina as we're seriously considering. Are transfers to yourself handled any differently or less problems?

Thanks!

Many people here use western union all the time so I'm assuming many people have entered their banking access info to link the accounts. I've done it, no issues so far.

I've used Xoom for many years but recently started using Western Union to transfer money from the U.S. to family members in BsAs. Paying with a debit card is a bit more expensive than directly from the bank, but WU wants the user name and password to my Schwab account for that. Insane?! I even called WU directly to make certain I hadn't being redirected to a scam website. Yes, they said, we want your user name and password. This sounds like a terrible requirement and a terrible idea to comply with, even with their heartfelt assurances of safety.

I don't remember doing this. If and when they ask for my username and password I would provide them just before making my next transfer (half of what I usually transfer) and then change them. After the first transfer is complete, I would make a second transfer in the same amount and see what happens.

Also, every year or so Xoom (actually AFIP) would require much personal/financial information emailed to them through Xoom before permitting further transfers. The last time it seems they wanted even more than the usual, including a copy of my pension documents (not merely the payment statements). All is aboveboard, but I really do not like emailing sensitive personal & banking information, and through a 3rd party at that.

It's impossible to know until it actually happens.

Managed to get pesos today... in WU Carrefour Salguero. Surprised to find one open on Sunday. Didn't seem to be any issues with availability of notes.

Good news, bro, good news! Congratulations on persevering until you got it done.

I just sent myself some cash, and the DIGITAL0FEE discount worked. I also received a happy note that "you have qualified for faster delivery". They appear to have waived the usual delay when pulling funds directly from a bank account.

The rate they gave me was 200 pesos exactly.

We currently transfer funds from the U.S. to the bank accounts of family members in Argentina, but will send to ourselves also if we move back to Argentina as we're seriously considering. Are transfers to yourself handled any differently or less problems?

Thanks!
Yes I have done it. I also have a Schwab account. Your password is actually never shared with WU, the server just authenticates the credentials. The same way it s done if you have a Mint.com account to track spending or a simile service. It’s all done with inscription etc.

No way in hell I would ever give the credentials to my bank account. I simply would use a different method. I think you're all crazy

Yes I have done it. I also have a Schwab account. Your password is actually never shared with WU, the server just authenticates the credentials. The same way it s done if you have a Mint.com account to track spending or a simile service. It’s all done with inscription etc.

Was that for debit card transactions only? I think that is just the ID verification. I read of a few having to verify their banking credentials and the source of funds with Western Union. That must be an anti money laundering/tax evasion thing.

Was that for debit card transactions only? I think that is just the ID verification. I read of a few having to verify their banking credentials and the source of funds with Western Union. That must be an anti money laundering/tax evasion thing.
No it's a ACH directly from my bank account at Schwab. For those paranoid just change your password afterwords to a new one. You don't have to reverify for future WU transfers. Also visit the "security center" setting at schwab.com and play around with the various settings and verifications for added layers of security like trusted devises etc.

Back