Western Union money transfer

Recoleta near Santa Fe and Pueyrredon
Any tips are appreciated! Thanks :)

If you take the Linea D to Palermo Station, 11 mins away I've personally picked up 30K from the location at Av. Santa Fe 4748. 10 minutes away from you is the one most popular with users here at Montevideo and Cordoba, I believe it's Montevideo 825 but they've basically got officer hours, 9 to 6, while the Palermo one is open until 8 IIRC. Good luck!

Lunar's message is helpful above.

When searching on the online locator (https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/find-locations.html) - go to more filters and include "Start online, finish in store >> Pickup cash"
When I did this, it still didn't mean you could necessarily pick up cash from an international transfer FYI. I was still turned away from one or two a while ago. Best to go with ones others have had luck with.

So I might be missing something obvious here. I tried our first WU today. Went to 2 WU locations (one in a convenience store and one in the Loteria Cuidad). Both waved me away when i showed them the transfer number. They just looked at the 9 digit code and told me 'no'.
My spanish wasnt up to the challenge. I can go back and try again when there isn't a line of course. (the transfer says it's complete and available)
But are there only specific WU locations you can pick up your transfer at? What did i do wrong here.

Probably didn't have enough money.

So I might be missing something obvious here. I tried our first WU today. Went to 2 WU locations (one in a convenience store and one in the Loteria Cuidad). Both waved me away when i showed them the transfer number. They just looked at the 9 digit code and told me 'no'.
My spanish wasnt up to the challenge. I can go back and try again when there isn't a line of course. (the transfer says it's complete and available)
But are there only specific WU locations you can pick up your transfer at? What did i do wrong here.
There's a large Pago Facil in the Carrefour Hipermarket in Alcorta mall in Palermo Chico. They virtually always have plenty of cash.

There's a large Pago Facil in the Carrefour Hipermarket in Alcorta mall in Palermo Chico. They virtually always have plenty of cash.
Not complicated....for smaller locations talk to them the day before....and they will probably have whatever you need when your transfer arrives the following day. That's how they make their money.

Not complicated....for smaller locations talk to them the day before....and they will probably have whatever you need when your transfer arrives the following day. That's how they make their money.
This is a good suggestion...if you are close enough to go there and are willing to wait in line to be sure you will be able to go the next day to wait in line again but at least be able to get the money.

You coud also go ahead and make the transfer and then, if they don't have the funds available that day, make the arrangements to get the money on the following day...if not a few hours later on the same day.

My first two transfers (sent by my sister in law in November of 2019 and January of 2020) were fairly large (about $1000USD when the rate was $72 ARS to one USD) and I needed to pick up the funds in Bahia Blanca. There are several WU agencies there, but only local one handles the larger transfers.

I arrived about 9am.They didn't have enough funds availble but they said thay would by noon. I returned at 11:30 and was asked to take a seat (without waiting in line). While I was waiting, a young man entered carrying two large satchels which I assume contained currency.

A few minutes later I was granted access to the secure area where I was given $72,000, all in $100 pesos notes.

I then walkd three blocks to the bank, paid my credit card balance and deposited the rest of the money.

I repeated this the following month.

After that, now over two years ago, I began making on line WU transfers to my bank account and eliminated the need top spend half a day driving to Bahia Blanca to pick up and deposit the funds.

I only made one transfer to Punta Alta to get pesos at a kiosk. That was a little over a year ago. I needed about $35K to pay my mechanic for replacing the piston rings in my Peugeot 405. The kiosk did not have enough pesos on hand at 10 am, but they did by noon.

PS: I get pesos using my debit card at the YPF station when I buy nafta (which I pay for with my credit card). I no longer have to got to the bank for any reason, or even use an ATM.

Last edited:
What I like about the Alcorta/Palermo Chico location is that there is no waiting. And they'll have the cash. But I live next door.

Anyone triggered a bank-to-bank transfer in the past couple of days? I've been getting 24-hour transfer confirmations for at least a year but this last one has been pending for almost 3 days now. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Anyone triggered a bank-to-bank transfer in the past couple of days? I've been getting 24-hour transfer confirmations for at least a year but this last one has been pending for almost 3 days now. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
If I understand what you're saying, you were receiving the money next day for a long time, and suddenly you have to wait days to receive it. This has happened to me more than once.

You received an email receipt? What day does it say that the money will be in the receiver's account? You'll probably receive it the day after that.

If this isn't your problem, please explain in a little more detail.

Back