Western Union money transfer

If I understand correctly, and for lack of a better word, the funds are "held" (on the books in cyberspace) by Western Union until they are picked up in person or deposited in the receiver's bank account. After a period of time, if the funds are not picked up or the bank cannot process the transaction, the funds will be "returned" to the sender's bank or (at least I hope) be made available to the sender who paid for the transaction in cash.

it's too late to edit the previous post,so I will add that Western Union will usually indicate the transaction is "complete" as soon as the bank receives the money, but the funds usually take some time to be credited to the recipient's account. Transfers I initiate early in the morning are usually received by my bank in Argentina in a matter of minutes, but the deposit is usually made just before 6 pm the same day,

It would be accurate to say that Western Union is not holding the funds in that case. Nonetheless, the bank can refuse to deposit the funds if they have doubts about their source and then notify (I hope) Western Union who would then be obligated to give the sender a refund, either in cash or credit to the sender's bank account or credit card, something I've never had to deal with.

PS: I have picked up funds in person seveal times since I started using Western Union and I've always thought (at least to myself) that they were "holding" the funds until I picked them up in person.

Last edited:
WU is offering $210.65 while the CCL closed at $220.00.

I've noticed it updates around 03:00PM our time, and then again sometime in the evening. If you can wait might be worth anywhere between 7 and 10 extra pesos per dollar, unless they want to start tracking the Blue Compra rate.

How does whyline work with WesternUnion? Can you give the details? Do you for example enter the amount or confirmation number, passport number etc? Do you pay a fee. Thanks

Whyline is for the receiver to avoid the long lines on Pago Facil stores – who have a partnership with WU. Instead of waiting in the line you can make an appointment using Whyline App and skip the line when it is your turn. See https://whyline.com/home?lang=en.

WU and Banco Santander Rio...what's the deal? I sent money ($500) on the 12th. They called to verify it was me sending the money; nothing happened for two days. Had to call WU to see what was up, then they asked for the latest bank statement of the bank from where they were withdrawing the funds, Two more days and nothing. Called again and they said the funds would be available in two days...nothing. Called again because the status in WU said complete but no funds were received. Submitted a complaint and today I receive an email that the transfer was canceled and that I will be getting a refund. My husband has transferred money using WU to other banks with no problems. Is it Santander the problem? Any insight will be appreciated! Thank you!

WU and Banco Santander Rio...what's the deal? I sent money ($500) on the 12th. They called to verify it was me sending the money; nothing happened for two days. Had to call WU to see what was up, then they asked for the latest bank statement of the bank from where they were withdrawing the funds, Two more days and nothing. Called again and they said the funds would be available in two days...nothing. Called again because the status in WU said complete but no funds were received. Submitted a complaint and today I receive an email that the transfer was canceled and that I will be getting a refund. My husband has transferred money using WU to other banks with no problems. Is it Santander the problem? Any insight will be appreciated! Thank you!
Surely WU has full knowledge on this. From my experience with WU, when there's a problem, you really need to drill down through their layers of phone assistance. Once you get to someone a supervisor, demanding that they escalate your case. Get a case number and be persistent until you get it sorted.

Surely WU has full knowledge on this. From my experience with WU, when there's a problem, you really need to drill down through their layers of phone assistance. Once you get to someone a supervisor, demanding that they escalate your case. Get a case number and be persistent until you get it sorted.
I called. WU said that Banco Santander rejected the funds...has anyone heard of that before?!

Back