Western Union money transfer

1.00 USD = 274.2500 Argentine Pesos
1:59pm

Very disappointing. CCL as quoted by ambito.com at the moment is 284.08

CCL at $297.48 now, new cepo on cuotas at Duty Free shops just announced too.

I'm guessing we might finally hit $300 tomorrow considering further shakeups at the economy ministry are imminent.

Che Alberto, this is really strange behavior for an economy whose problem is it's growing too much...

CCL at $297.48 now, new cepo on cuotas at Duty Free shops just announced too.

I'm guessing we might finally hit $300 tomorrow considering further shakeups at the economy ministry are imminent.

Che Alberto, this is really strange behavior for an economy whose problem is it's growing too much...
}
The country is on fire, and the new Ministro eliminates quotas on Duty Free purchases.
Rearranging the Deck Chairs on the Titanic...!

CCL $301.23; expect another uptick from WU Monday since they've been taking their sweet time.

this is no bueno. while it's a windfall for us expats it would translate into more poverty, crime and generally take away from everyone's quality of life (even ours).
Oh totally, I'm not celebrating, the benefit of this is extremely short term. Society is tobogganing towards instability both economic and social. The minimum wage at this rate is $151/month, people can't even cover rent with this let alone food, and the community kitchens keep saying they have way too much demand. Plus those of us who have dollars are not even benefitting given the crazy increases. Inflation this month is like 20% already. It's empirical, but here's the cost of a 4K webcam I was thinking of buying for work vs the WU exchange rate in dollars:

Middle of June: $98.21
Monday: $119
Today: $127.61

What is the WU rate today ?
Oh totally, I'm not celebrating, the benefit of this is extremely short term. Society is tobogganing towards instability both economic and social. The minimum wage at this rate is $151/month, people can't even cover rent with this let alone food, and the community kitchens keep saying they have way too much demand. Plus those of us who have dollars are not even benefiting given the crazy increases. Inflation this month is like 20% already. It's empirical, but here's the cost of a 4K webcam I was thinking of buying for work vs the WU exchange rate in dollars:

Middle of June: $98.21
Monday: $119
Today: $127.61

It's only a mirage. You laugh all the way to WU office to collect your pesos, hallelujah you got $274.50 for you dollars. So you go shopping for what you needed and find out the price overnight increased more than the dollar rate..! It's like a dog biting its tail..!
In lunfardo "Engaña Pichanga" ?

this is no bueno. while it's a windfall for us expats it would translate into more poverty, crime and generally take away from everyone's quality of life (even ours).
It's definitely bad. And I always feel bad for the suffering of the argentinos, which in my neighborhood I see every day. I also worry about the increase in crime.

But it's not our fault. And I don't see anyone here gloating.

Moreover, this time there is no windfall for people with dollars -- more the opposite -- at least for now. Look at the links I posted a day or two ago, and the example of Quilombo.

The dollar (blue, etc.) has been trailing inflation by a lot for a very long time now. Many, many months. It was finally beginning to catch up, but with the way that this crisis unfolded with Guzmán resigning, the situation for many people with dollars may actually be worse.

Right now it's a bad situation for everybody.

Back