Western Union money transfer

At least in CABA, the blue is 292 if you want to buy it, but only 282 if you want to sell (you may be able to negotiate one or two pesos, but that's not much these days). The problem with WU is that without a promo code, that 280 becomes 266 for a transfer of US$500, much worse than the blue. Today, MG is the best for transferring to a bank, at 282, with a 2 dollar fee. Otherwise, it's time to dust off those billetes. These are hard times for dollar sellers (compared to a couple weeks ago).

I would suggest selling your dollars in that case.

If you have dollars in cash, I would most strongly discommend parting with them. Hang onto those Franklins for dear life, would be my advice. There's no way to know WTF may be coming down the pipe, and if a major crisis occurs, they could be the difference between comfortable survival
and going hungry or worse.

If you have dollars in cash, I would most strongly discommend parting with them. Hang onto those Franklins for dear life, would be my advice. There's no way to know WTF may be coming down the pipe, and if a major crisis occurs, they could be the difference between comfortable survival
This is my advice also but some folks seem to think it's a better option using a service that isn't within 1 peso of the highest possible blue rate.

Everybody's situation is different. This thread is very good at showing everyone what their options are. With that information, people can decide what's best for them.

🤦‍♀️
I asked a question if anyone had any knowledge (or a hunch) as to what the story was with the growing gap between the blue dollar and the WU/MG rate. I got every possible response, except a direct "I have no idea" or "This is why...". I was given advice I never asked for, was suspected of being blind or weak in the head. Only one person made a good suggestion, which I will keep in mind — buy $$ when the exchange rate is favorable and sell them when you need to. Outside of that, a waterfall of information that didn't answer my question and/or was offensive.

I realize that's the nature of the beast (the internet beast that is), but it would really be awesome if people actually read the questions before unleashing their emotions and giving unsolicited advice. Absolutely nothing to do with WU, so Admins, please delete if you deem it inappropriate.

🤦‍♀️
I asked a question if anyone had any knowledge (or a hunch) as to what the story was with the growing gap between the blue dollar and the WU/MG rate. I got every possible response, except a direct "I have no idea" or "This is why...".
There is no gap.

ambito.com dollar blue 282

ambito.png
wu.com us exchange rate 280

wu.png

Are you getting obsessed about 2 peso difference? This is like 0.7%.

WU is becoming less and less equalized with the blue dollar... :( MoneyGram's exchange is a joke as well. Anyone's got some info on what's going on with those two?

🤦‍♀️
I asked a question if anyone had any knowledge (or a hunch) as to what the story was with the growing gap between the blue dollar and the WU/MG rate. I got every possible response, except a direct "I have no idea" or "This is why...". I was given advice I never asked for, was suspected of being blind or weak in the head. Only one person made a good suggestion, which I will keep in mind — buy $$ when the exchange rate is favorable and sell them when you need to. Outside of that, a waterfall of information that didn't answer my question and/or was offensive.

I realize that's the nature of the beast (the internet beast that is), but it would really be awesome if people actually read the questions before unleashing their emotions and giving unsolicited advice. Absolutely nothing to do with WU, so Admins, please delete if you deem it inappropriate.
Cordoba did answer your question. The WU for several years has generally tracked the CCL, not the blue. What more do you want to know?

Agreed!

There is no gap.

ambito.com dollar blue 282

View attachment 8341
wu.com us exchange rate 280

View attachment 8342

Are you getting obsessed about 2 peso difference? This is like 0.7%.
292-280=12 last I checked. 12x300=3600. 2600:280=12.8. On every $300 (with NO fee) you lose $12.8. With the fee, that loss becomes $39.8. Can you do basic arithmetics? I said in plain English, in the very beginning of the conversation that in Mendoza, the blue rate is 292.

Also, did I sound obsessed AT ANY POINT in this conversation or are you projecting your own issues here? With that, I am leaving this forum. It is offensive and unhelpful. Goodbye.

292-280=12 last I checked. 12x300=3600. 2600:280=12.8. On every $300 (with NO fee) you lose $12.8.
You are not reading this right. This is a buy-sell spread. If you want to buy dollars at cueva, they will sell them to you for 292. If you want to sell them your dollars, they will buy them for 282.

You can take your dollars here and sell them locally at 282.
You can transfer them by WU and get pesos at 280 (plus transfer fees)
There is almost no difference in exchange rates.

... that in Mendoza, the blue rate is 292. ... Goodbye.
Enjoy Mendoza.

And again, people who can reliably predict movements in currency prices probably should trade forex for living, rather than trying to optimize timing and amounts of the WU transfers.

Changing the subject a bit...wondering if anyone can give insight as to when a new WU free code might appear? Is it typical for there to be a many day gap without one? I'm a newbie so any insight would be appreciated as we're doing some home construction which has us feeling like we're bleeding money at the moment...I happen to be in US at the moment so I can go to Walgreens and just pay the $8 fee if necessary but of course living in Argentina, I feel like every dollar counts;). thanks!

Back