Western Union money transfer

Register a new WU account under a different country that has no western union fees for the type of transaction you want. You'll only lose a little converting out of dollars but using a no foreign transaction credit card it is minimal on the middle currency conversion like 0.48%.

I would get like 281.69 with no fees vs 284.25 with fees.

Moneygram $285.50 and free bank to bank so haven't finalized a foreign WU transaction but ran through all the steps up until the final confirmation. So it should work.
Hi, Cordoba.

I have a few questions about this.

Aren't there cash advance fees if you use a credit card? Not from WU, but from the credit card company.
Can you do this with a debit card?
What country did you use? I was trying to find a country with no WU transfer fees but I couldn't find one.

Thanks

Hi, Cordoba.

I have a few questions about this.

Aren't there cash advance fees if you use a credit card? Not from WU, but from the credit card company.
Can you do this with a debit card?
What country did you use? I was trying to find a country with no WU transfer fees but I couldn't find one.

Thanks
My credit card has no fees for cash advance or foreign transactions. It needs to be paid off immediately to avoid interest. You could do debit using the same strategy but I don't believe any debit cards are free from foreign transaction fees so you'll be into it for 2-3% higher than the currency conversion alone. At that point it is cheaper to pay the fee in the USA and earn the Western union rewards points. France has no transaction fees last time I checked.

I think WU will not allow you to register a foreign credit or debit card as a payment method. So, for WesternUnion USA you are supposed to use US cards, for WesternUnion France you are supposed to use French cards. You just initiate your transfer in respective national currency, no currency conversion is done by the card itself.

I think WU will not allow you to register a foreign credit or debit card as a payment method. So, for WesternUnion USA you are supposed to use US cards, for WesternUnion France you are supposed to use French cards. You just initiate your transfer in respective national currency, no currency conversion is done by the card itself.
Are you sure? Cordoba did a foreign card setup right up to the point of making the transaction.

Are you sure? Cordoba did a foreign card setup right up to the point of making the transaction.
That might be the flaw. I'll try sending 1 euro through and see what happens. Maybe rejects upon the actual submission.

Just checked fees. Right now, Monday morning , no transfer fee.
If that's on WU I'll try to send a transfer now to see what happens!
5 minutes later:
Just tried a transfer but couldn't get rid of the fee so I cancelled it. You must have the gods of WU on your side.

Last edited:
Has anyone been having this issue or have any insight?

I perform a transaction via WU, after X amount of time it says it's been completed, but then it takes an egregious amount of time for it to be deposited into my bank account.

The email I receive from WU saying, "money should be deposited by x day" is usually on the nose but as of late the deposits are taking 1 week+ to appear in my account after WU's part is said and done. I assume it's something on the bank's end?

Back