Western Union money transfer

Wu is hit or miss lately. I prefer MG.
I am trying to figure out which way is for me the best to exchange for long term, but moneygram rate looks awful to me?
I get including fees about 3.5% more on WU than on moneygram.

I am trying to figure out which way is for me the best to exchange for long term, but moneygram rate looks awful to me?
I'm doing bank to bank. 1.99 VS 5%for wu. To me it's worth it to not have to go pickup cash

The big problem is that in Argentina, there is no long term. And we've seen the "best way" change many times in the past few years. But anyway...

Generally, now, cash pickup is more expensive than bank to bank (as you'd expect it to be in a normal country). WU is best for cash pickup, but the rate is so bad at the moment that it almost makes it tempting to go do the old Colonia run to get dollars to exchange in the cuevas (today, WU 302.90 for cash pickup versus [at least] 316 for dollar blue).

For bank to bank, MG has been better for a while now. Today, WU 308.45 vs. MG 316.71 (use coupon code) vs Blue 316.

This is the first time in a while that the dollar blue is competitive with the transfer rates. It will be interesting to see if that continues. Maybe we'll need a thread about going to Uruguay for dollars.

This is the first time in a while that the dollar blue is competitive with the transfer rates. It will be interesting to see if that continues. Maybe we'll need a thread about going to Uruguay for dollars.

Yes !! I want to see the rates for the Colonia cash dollars??? Including transportation , bank fees, etc., etc. Never mind food, taxi and wasted day.

Yes !! I want to see the rates for the Colonia cash dollars??? Including transportation , bank fees, etc., etc. Never mind food, taxi and wasted day.
I created a spreadsheet to calculate the cost of the "Dollar Colonia" with my bank's fees a couple years ago, but I need to update it. The last time I checked the numbers, it cost 9 pesos/dollar to go to Colonia for the day if you brought back US$5000. (I included all costs, including taxis, the boat to Colonia, and all bank fees.)

But there's a nice section to visit in old Colonia with lots of nice restaurants, if you want to make a weekend of it. If there's interest, we can create a thread to discuss the various details, options, and alternatives.

I might be somewhat confused about the various rates ( who wouldn't :rolleyes: ).
Thing is, I have a friend coming over for christmas and he was going to bring cash with him.
It's better to bring cash or do everything through WU?

I might be somewhat confused about the various rates ( who wouldn't :rolleyes: ).
Thing is, I have a friend coming over for christmas and he was going to bring cash with him.
It's better to bring cash or do everything through WU?
For short stays bring cash.

I created a spreadsheet to calculate the cost of the "Dollar Colonia" with my bank's fees a couple years ago, but I need to update it. The last time I checked the numbers, it cost 9 pesos/dollar to go to Colonia for the day if you brought back US$5000. (I included all costs, including taxis, the boat to Colonia, and all bank fees.)

But there's a nice section to visit in old Colonia with lots of nice restaurants, if you want to make a weekend of it. If there's interest, we can create a thread to discuss the various details, options, and alternatives.

Please confirm your figures $2700 pesos RT to Colonia OMG. ??? Colonia Express , Buquebus?
To bring $5000 you need a number of US$300 extractions? Unless you go to BRU and extract $1000 each time , If you have a Schwab account you get back the transfer fees.?

Otherwise if you send yourself via WU $5000 for cash withdrawal in Colonia you can request US dollar bills.

Back