Western Union money transfer

You're still getting a much better rate than some. WU charges me $22 to transfer $200, so 11%
I just checked WU and the fee to transfer $200 with cash pickup would also be $$22.00 (5%) and $16.00 for deposit to my Santander Rio account.

I can't imagine making a transfer of an amount as small as $200 USD, even though that would pay all of my expenses (including all food and bottles water costs, utilities, fuel, auto repairs, taxes, internet, bank and credit card fees, etc. for a month. (I don't pay rent).

The fee to send $600 would be $38.00 for cash pick up and $30.00 (5%) for deposit to my Santander Rio account,

I transfer at least that amount each month and use all of the funds over the equivalent of $200 USD to buy as much as I can ans fast as I can, buying what I see as the best buys of the day for clothes, shoes, tools, building materials, and other items that serve the "prepper's purpose" in el campo.

It is amazing how often some of the items have purchased have increase in price in pesos by as much as 50% (occasionally more) within a few days of the purchase.

While the WU exchange rate hasn't budged.

As much as I enjoyed not paying the WU transfer fee for many months, I find no reason to complain about it now. 🤠

Last edited:
If you don't need the money right away, I would suggest you login to your Western Union account, fill out the form for the transfer, and just do NOT click on the Transfer confirmation. Exit the site or app. Chances are, you'll get a promotion code for a free transfer or a half off the transfer fee through email within a few days.

If you're not physically in Argentina now, of course you can do the transfer at a much lower fee by filling out the form online and bringing the cash to a local agent instead of paying with debit or bank transfer.

If you are going to pay the full price WU transfer fee right now, you might as well just pay with a foreign credit card that has no foreign transaction fee. The transfer fee basically negates the higher exchange rate between the rate you get from WU and foreign credit card MEP rate.

Still 11%, sorry.
Yes of course it is..that is why I wrote..
I just checked WU and the fee to transfer $200 with cash pickup would also be $$22.00 (5%) and $16.00 for deposit to my Santander Rio account.

Followed by this:
The fee to send $600 would be $38.00 for cash pick up and $30.00 (5%) for deposit to my Santander Rio account,..
..in which case, the fee would be 5%....

...and explains why I never pay anywhere close to 11% 🤠

Still 11%, sorry.

Yes it is. I knew it was 11% for a $200 USD transfer and I should have written 11%, but I did not.

That was my error, and I missed it a second time in my last reply (to Lunar's post).

The point remains, the $600 transfer only has a 5% fee...

...and that's the most I am now paying.

As long as fee are charged, I will never make a WU transfer of less than $600 USD.

At the moment wu is giving 516 pesos per euro. For dollar it will be something like 480 i guess.

A WU transfer doubt. Perhaps someone has some insight.
One can send a transfer to oneself to Uruguay to collect there Greenbacks cash.
If one suddenly makes a transfer to Uruguay for several thousand dollars to yourself , after having in the past only made small dollar transfers to BA. Will this operation raise some red flags with WU,and possibly face a WU account closure. Or will all go through fine.

It may be hard to find a WU office that has several thousand dollars to give you. I was thinking of doing that in 2015. I called around to a bunch of different offices and none of them could assure me that they would have that much available on a certain date. I ended up using Xoom and an ATM machine. I don't see why WU would care if you were able to successfully do a large transaction.

Hi everyone.
I normally WU to my BBVA using my Wells Fargo debit card, easy peasy.

I couldn't do that the other day because WF is sending me a new card for unrelated reasons.

Saturday I transferred $ using a different WF checking account, that I had stored a couple years ago as a form of payment with WU. It is not tied to that debit card. To be clear, the account is the form of payment, not a debit card.

Usually the funds are immediately withdrawn from WF, but the $ is still in my WF account today.
WU says "in progress".
I called WF just to be sure there wasn't any pending fraud holds or anything else, nope, they don´'t see anything out of the ordinary and yes, I still have the $ in my WF account.

Should I wait this out, or cancel the transaction?
Thanks in advance.

Back