What are the best job options to make enough money to stay in BA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all to all the poor ba....sta...rds who whine about "the snobs", This thread was about how one needs to live in Argentina." It did not say "on how much can I survive?"
Mentioning how much it costs one to live a month is not about being devoid of humility its just another prospective. I was unaware how many expats were scavaging commies. Well now we know why half of you sad miserable lot came here in the first place .....................because you cant afford to live anywhere else!
Well thats a sad reason to be here. Sorry you are not going to enjoy the fabulous polo the great sailing at the San Isidro sailing club or be able to send your children to St. Georges. But you know what? its is not Lee or myself who are snobs its the resentful poverty stricken comments of some persons here that show the resentment of their economic station.............................Tough!................get a better job/life!
A couple of weeks ago someone wrote to me to ask where one could get cheap polo..................the answer is.......NOWHERE! So many misguided visitors seem to think that because this is Argentina everything is rock bottom bargain bucket cheap well that is not the case. Polo ground fees just for chuckas are $US100 a day and thats before ponies grooms and transport . Golf clubs are also expensive. But so many think thyey they can get everything for nothing in Argentina. Its a bit like asking " can we participate in Cowes week on a fabulous boat...........................but oh! I cant afford it, can I have a discount?"
yes I am pissed off and if I sound arrogant now its because I am sick of all the snide comments by the pathetic pennypinching scrimping , rabble. Its PATHETIC!
So if Granada just wanted to say how clever or wealthy i was I would speak of how much land and properties I own, how many horses I own , how much i earn, what I do and dont do etc etc etc, But I NEVER have so do belt up!
OH by the way , not many months ago Granada was being vulgar by constantly asking everyone, what does this cost and who earns what etc and comments about "frequenting the right people" and the "High class argentines" and obviously every body here was hanging out with the riff raff in the ghettos...................interesting huh?
I said I would need at least 7,000 pesos to live comfortably here on my own. In fact that's not much more than US$2000 per month..........................US$500 per week..................Anybody who thinks thats a lot of money in the real world (and remember WE ARE EXPATS)....................................should get a gun and put themselves out of their misery.
regards to my fellow whoop-it-uppers and my dear unresentful less fortunate friends
Carpe Diem
p.s by the way Granada and Elpa.........frigging.....nada.. I actually need 5 times that amout to support my family and lifestyle here!..................GET OVER IT!

Also you sound like an intolerable snob ....
Fellow expats - fellow human beings - why do this to one another? There is a very definite line between helping one another with real information and differences of perspective and name calling and attacking one another. What good can come of that? Someone attacks you and of course you are going to counterstrike so let's not even go there in the first place. As for budgeting - each breakdown listed here has had its value for me in terms of information - no matter if I am pinching pesos or dollars or blowing the wad. Now if I have a friend of meager means or one of more ample resources I can quote some costs for them. First I will delete the BS. Let us play nice kids.

Dear Patt,

with all due respect, back off with the reiki approach because thats whats going on in the states,much to the world's detriment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"lets just sit under a tree breathe in through one's nose and it will pass"

As I pointed out before in the past, SNOB means S/NOB=sans nobilite and i can assure you that is not the case with regards to myself. If one is insinuating we or I am looking down my nose at the less fortunate that is not the case. On the contrary, the case here is the less fortunate making rude comments about others in a better position and you as a successfull american have no right to preach the subtleties of snobbery because that is a North American gene.
One more thing, apathy or lying down and taking it is not a question of Love and OM............ its a question of subservience. People in glass houses should not throw stones and as I taught all my sons, when a bully constantly comes up and kicks you in the butt and runs away punch him back on the nose!

You have not been here long enough Patt to have enough history knowledge of this site. Its always the same humourless, resentful individuals that throw stones. Im not prepared to take it sitting down with you and Confucious under a tree!
regards
Oh and BTW, the girl that initiated this thread Montana,wrote me a very nice mail after my first "tough" posting" on this thread thanking me. That's OM!

Don't blame you one bit for punching back auntie ! Just a shame to have the situation in the first place. Je -And I don't do reiki. It has never done much for me that I can tell.
There is a saying "you can't become what you resent." That includes wealthy. Lots of resentment being voiced here. I have gotten a few names called here myself. Wynnwoods and I were talking yesterday. He's getting whacked on another post I see. Well if you are going to be out there you have to expect that. We can take it. You back yet?

Dearest Patt, sorry about the reiki quip I know you dont do reiki.................................ROFL!

its great to see you have a great sense of humour and Im glad that you realise im not just being the bitch that I probably am!
have been a bit delayed hope to get back by the end of the month

besos

Auntieapple's comments about the price of Polo / Golf brought up a good point -- let's face it -- for QUALITY anything in Argentina you will pay the SAME or MORE than abroad. There's only a couple of things that are truly cheaper in the States compared to argentina ie computers / LCD tvs / anything electronics oriented.
However, I will tell you: for good quality sheets here (which are hard to find) -- same price or more expensive as in North America (that's why I brought mine down from Canada). A good feather pillow -- same (or MORE) expensive than NA. Duvet, same thing. Towels, same thing. Small appliances for the home, for brands that aren't going to erupt into flames the moment you turn your back, same as at home. For a fridge that self-defrosts and has a few extras (glass shelves, crispers, etc) you're looking at about the same price, or more (a lot more sometimes) than NA.
Shoes and anything leather you can get for a better price than NA -- and leather sofas you can get handmade for a decent price -- but a lot of places will make them really cheaply and charge a tonne -- ojo!
For any clothes that will survive beyond a few months, you pretty much have to pay for the higher end brands.
The 15peso made-by-the-hands-of-a-small-bolivian-child t-shirts exist of course, but if you're paying prices like those please be aware that you are funding the sweatshops that exist throughout the city -- you hear of them occasionally in the news when a fire starts and a bunch of illegal Bolivian teenagers run for their lives into the streets of an otherwise tony neighbourhood.
The thing for me that still is cheaper than at home is food, and rent for me because we're on a 2 year with garantia lease. Otherwise it's the same or more expensive. Internet certainly is more expensive here for what you get -- for the amount I'm paying for my one mega here I could get 8 at home etc.
When it comes right down to it, sure you can do Argentina on the cheap, but don't expect quality to come along with it! Cheap and quality never ever go in the same sentence, whether it's in Argentina or elsewhere, whether your talking business or pleasure.

what´s the price of ignorance and stupidity? many can´t afford to do anything, others can but are too poor at the same time.

quote galatita

"what´s the price of ignorance and stupidity? many can´t afford to do anything, others can but are too poor at the same time. "
So, what was that all about??????????????????????????
P.S good points Syngirl, as usual! Yes anything reasonable priced here falls to pieces and I think I once mentioned on here that I got through THREE vacuum cleaners in one year in my home. Total trash!. I suck better than that............LMAO!
Even my car is virtually made of plastic and I have had to get the door handles fixed more than twice. I considered bringing my car over from London but I was told that I would have to pay 50% inport duty for the bloody thing..................PLUS 30% the value of the crate that brings it!!!!!!!!! EXTORTION . Well sod that!

Im glad to hear some of you are receiving packs from overseas. I have not received one letter or parcel that I was expecting for the lasdt 18months every songle one has NEVER arrived even though the postage from the UK asure me that everything over that period got on the plane...................RAMPANT THEFT, so do please be beware. Even magazines are stolen and the favorite is children christmas parcels from the garndmother.................how sad is that?

"auntieapple" said:
Im glad to hear some of you are receiving packs from overseas. I have not received one letter or parcel that I was expecting for the lasdt 18months every songle one has NEVER arrived even though the postage from the UK asure me that everything over that period got on the plane...................RAMPANT THEFT, so do please be beware. Even magazines are stolen and the favorite is children christmas parcels from the garndmother.................how sad is that?
Hey Auntie,

We usually receive packages ( big ones ) from the US and never got anything lost, when we detect a dalay longer than normal, we call the customer support number from Correo Argentino and they were able to track everything with no probs. Sometimes it is the notification that you got a package that gets lost, so you don´t claim it and they return it or God knows what they do. :p

Have you ever tried the Correo customer support number? I know that support is not great ( being generous here ) in this country, but sometimes you gotta give it a try, I was pleasantly surprised with this one.

I agree with you guys about the quality of textiles and electronics: my secret is to not trust any brand of anything ( lol ) I check the fabrics, the knitting, etc and then buy. Some unknown brands carry higher quality items than some of the well known ones.

When I buy electronics or appliances here, I know they won´t last too long, that is why sometimes I do not upgrade certain items if they passed the 2 year test! ( I stick to my old fridge and washer for example )

One of the reasons why most people are ok with the textiles is because they don´t use dryers, somehow it has never been a popular thing here, so their clothes last longer and stay in an acceptable condition.

Just my 2 cents nik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back