What are the best job options to make enough money to stay in BA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another thread Gone to the Dogs...............now, where have I heard that before?

OH! Please Fishface can we do that one
bump.....bump brrrrbump bump...
ah great we hit bottom.
Next thread for a scrap 'The difference between Expats and Backpackers Part 1'
I promise just to sit and watch,......................well ill TRY and promise!
besos

AuntieApple I am so glad you like your promotion from granny smith to apple tart. It s made me extremely happy knowing that I have been able to bring some sunshine into your life. Montana- I do think you re taking a major risk but I nevertheless wish you all the best of luck- you ll need it.Lee- Your justification for telling the world you pay 5100 pesos a month for rent is absolute nonsense. You called Hollywood b***sh*t, well I think you should take the first plane back from where you came because it sounds like you fit very well in the Hollywood mansion superficial looking down on the have nots kind of look on life. I come from an aristocratic family and one of the first things we laugh about is those without a "title" who would so much like to be elevated to higher echelons. Too bad, because it ain t going to happen. You will also find that those with an aristocratic background feel no need to broadcast to everyone how many horses, men, houses they own and it are the wannabes like you who are so insecure and hence feel the need to tell everyone what kind of luxury lifestyle they lead. I can only laugh about your comment and I feel really really sorry for you.BisouLucy

I doubt most people who are living here sans car have actually "seen all sides" of BA. To see how most of the city is living you need to travel to the outer barrios. Or go outside of Capital and see the "real" Argentina -- on the highway out to Hurlingham you'll see some lovely views -- miles and miles and miles of Villas. Electricity and perhaps water in some of the houses, but no ABL services... so the rubbish gets dumped right beside, and then the rot and waste leaks out into the streams and marshes surrounding where little kids are playing. Beautiful, really.
Lee, if you want to help, don't give money - give time, give food, or give money to reputable organizations (HelpArgentina is an American-run charity, UNICEF is active here, and there's a whole roster of others).
Most of those kids begging in Palermo / Las Canitas are forced to work by gangs -- older boys that force them to go beg.
When the girl said "now I can go home and sleep" more than likely she did not mean she was bringing that home to mum and dad. She's got to go pay it off to some older kid and get her 5 pesos or whatever they'll give her.
When you see a cute little kid that's hard to turn down. But if it were the 15 year old a**hole that's ordering her about you probably wouldn't think twice about keeping your money. It's a crap situation and as sad and mean as it sounds not to give money, by giving money you're just encouraging the situation. I know it's irrealistic to ask everyone to stop giving money, but it's just contributing to the problem. Give your money to schools, to children's organizations, to women's shelters.
I'm not saying I've got the answer but I really don't think it's giving money to these kids -- give them some food, buy them a gaseosa, do something other than throw your pesos around (oh and, by the way -- giving 100 pesos away on the street, probably not the smartest thing -- it's a great way to find yourself getting mugged a few blocks down the street).
The other thing you can do is micro-lending. Right now there aren't a lot of projects in South America available as Bill Clinton has been doing a lot of rounds promoting this site, but they are meant to be adding more. If you want to truly make a difference and don't want to go the traditional-charity route, this is a great way to do so:
http://kiva.org/

Great post syngirl - Thank you.Give a fish or teach how to fish. Patt
Founder and President
http://www.PAWHA.ORG

Thanks Patt -- just had a brief brief look at your site, will have a greater read of it this weekend. Seems like the types of projects I'm keen to support!

Syngirl, your post was very interesting (though I'm not sure it sticks to the topic of the thread). Anyway... I don't think a car is really necessary to see the real BA. Just take a train from Constitucion Station in the direction of Quilmes or La Plata (for example). No sooner than you leave the station you'll see the villas. The other day I took a train back from Palermo. We ended not at Retiro Station but at another station a block or so away (San Martin station?). As you get close to the station you pass very close to Villa 31. The train to Tigre does not give you a bird's eye view as the train that I took. About begging kids, I have a friend who will take needy looking kids to McDonald's rather than just give money. He goes with them and makes sure that they order and eat the food so that the money does not go to someone else. There are volunteer projects here, some in the villas, if anyone is interested. As far as seeing the real BA is concerned, I agree that it will be very disturbing to anyone who has not left the expat protection zone.

Sorry Chris... yes it's wandering... it was really just that I went back and read the statements above after Lucy called out Lee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back