What are the best job options to make enough money to stay in BA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rental 700 peso
Food 400 peso
Clothes 200 peso
Insurrance 200 peso
Ticket 1000 dollar for 12 months 240 peso a month
Total: Around 1700 peso for the basics
Good luck

Ok wait... hold on people... I think we should look at a few things.
700 pesos for a flat? Granada should clarify that you will pay this ONLY if you are
a)living in a crappy barrio or what to me is an unbearably noisy barrio like Once OR
b) sharing a flat with a few other people OR
c) finding your long-lost Porteno Uncle and getting him to sign a Garantia for you and committing to a 2 year lease on an unfurnished apartment
I just spent the past 2 months looking for a new apartment with my boyfriend. I can tell you 700 pesos does not exist in Belgrano, Palermo, Almagro, Caballito UNLESS you have a garantia and are willing to live in an old / tiny apartment. If you are willing to live in a very small studio yes, you can find it. 700 pesos will DEFINITELY not get you a furnished place (that you'd actually want to live in).
HOWEVER
Let's take a look at this person (that we don't even know but are already passing judgement on, sorry Sarah!)
What do we know:
- 27 yrs old
- 5 years of Property Management Experience
- she's from the States (based on fact she wants USD)
Ok well... let me take a guess -- unless she's from NYC she's probably at the age where she would like to get a nice apartment, not be living student-stylie anymore. 700 pesos won't get her that. She'll need about 600 bucks a month for that (to live in the typically-loved-by-tourists barrios). Especially if she's staying temporarily and looking for furnished. With the good old USD at 3.15 she's looking at almost 1900 pesos a month for that. This is assuming she wants to live on her own. If she's willing to share she could find a better deal. However, a lot of people come down here with the desire to upgrade their life, not downgrade, and for a lot that means getting a place on their own.
Secondly, with 5 years of Property Management experience, while she's probably likely to be aware that her salary is going to drop when she comes here, I doubt she's willing to go back to what she'd be making working at a McDonald's counter in Anytown, USA.
7000 pesos is a lot -- I know accountants with 35 years under their belt and they aren't making that. However, fact is, when you're coming from the States it's going to be a bit of a shock that you can't even making $2000 bucks a month here.
Most expats I know who are working illegally for Argentine companies are making around 2000pesos a month -- ie, time to let go of the idea of having your own place (unless Uncle Porteno turns up on the scene).
Furthermore, a lot of my illegally working friends are a bit scared of finding themselves trapped in Argentina -- although this idea may not yet have occurred to Sarah. One of the girls I know here is considering leaving simply because she's realised that on her salary she can only afford to fly home every couple of years, and when she gets there she's not able to do half the things she likes as it's just way too bloody expensive. She's also realised that if she ever wants to leave and go back home, she's going to have set herself back a good 5-10 years in terms of savings, and owning property is going to be very difficult. It's one thing for a 27 year old to have to move in with mum and dad for a bit... it's another when you're in your 30s...
Look, I'm fortunate to have brought my job with me, and I make a decent salary. However, flights home these days (Vancouver) are averaging 1500- 2000 bucks! I went to LA in July for a wedding and it cost me 1300bucks. Miami right now is around 700-900 bucks (and the real kick-in-the-nuts is that if you're flying States - BA the prices are about 2/3 of what they cost flying in the opposite direction! NYC - BA = $595 -- the opposite direction, $900bucks + tax). So on your 2000 pesos, or 600bucks a month... you aren't going to be flying off to the States very often.
In essence, you have to remember that if you come to Argentina on the semi-longterm and live on an Argentine salary, when you go back home you may find yourself in a pretty tough situation -- moving in with mum and dad for a few months while you get back some savings is a definite possibility!

Hi Sarah,I'm about your age, and may help with your question nr.1 (friends), show you around or something.
Regarding your job options, it's really tough but you can always stay for a few months, give it a try and go back home if it's not working...I live near BA downtown, you can contact me if you want. Best luck!

Syngirl is very realistic. It´s importanto to consider if the experience you´ll make here will make your resume looking better. It´s a bit silly to waste the best years of your life going down the hill in your work potential.

Americans are used to make money, which is great, but it´s not like that in Latin America, americans get everything with credir, which is great too, but to have a credit card (even when you have your visa or amex) you need a high salary to make payments.

Sarah has a good base if she´s coming to look around. Are you taking care of bringing your dog and customs? I brought my cat from North Carolina.
:)

now here goes guys and Granda I am not using you as a scapegoat but lets just use your calculations
Rental 700 peso
I dont know anywhere that you can rent a decently furnished one bedroom apartment for less than 400 pesos per week because remember our friend Sarah is probably not in a position to get a long let at the moment
so 400 pesos X 4 1,600 pesos
Food 400 peso
100 pesos a week! are you another aenorexic Granada, Bullshit, that means you can eat TWICE maybe three times max in a restaurant in one month and starve for the rest! Anyone who comes to enjoy BA will be going to restaurants at least 4 times a month especially if they want to network and meet people. I say you need at least 300 pesos a week to eat.
another 1,200 pesos for food/restaurants/bars per month

Clothes 200 peso
well we can tell a man wrote that. 200 pesos is two pairs of jeans and if you want to work in an international company I suggest you smarten up.
Clothes 500 pesos per month
lets not forget hairdresser 100pesos per month, beautician (or dont you wax) 50 pesos and cosmetics and perfumes 200 per month
so 350 pesos per month
Insurrance 200 peso
you forget entertainment Granada, maybe football is cheap and you dont have an entertainment budget but I think
400 pesos a month s fair
Depends where you go but if you live in europe its at least double that and more
also to rely on saving monthly for an annual ticket is pretty sad and worse what if you have an emergency and need to get home quick what then?
now what about service charges in your apartment telephone transport
300 per month
OK we'll skip the maid as obviously thats not something you do Granada, you are obviously good at washing plates as you dont eat out! well maybe on roadside truck grills
it would be nice now that you are in Argentina to see it!
occasional weekend to colonia
ski trip to barriloche
check out salta?

Now does one here just intend to live "hand to mouth"?
surely we all like to invest in something, Ishould think at 27 one should be thinking of putting some money away for that nice apartment or does one these days just "live".
my total so far being rather meagre is
1,600 rent
1,200 food/restaurants/bars
500 clothes
350 girli stuff
200 health
400 entertainment
300 service charges/gas/electric
my total for living is
4,550 pesos
that leaves
2,450 for flights and savings bringing a total to
7,000 pesos that is just over two thouand dollars per months FFS
if one comes to Argentina to live surely it is not to live like a hippie
and just for the record I never came here on a free ride, I earn my money, with husband or without.
Thankfully someone intelligent like syngir always manages to "get my drift"
sorry that many dont!

Good God WW,! LOL you must be doing one hell of lot of responsible shagging!
Going back to the original topic, I see your rent is 1,600

Cost of living is based on lifestyle choices. (And yes Samuel that is a lot of responsible shagging - good for you!)The one thing that I feel is unavoidable here for the non-argentine is rent. We get apartments that are fully equipped and without 2 year contracts and that for me is the biggest part of my monthly budget. When I first arrived a couple of years ago I went the homestay route a couple of times and the shared apartment. It was an experiemnt to see whether I wanted to be here. I found it simply not worth the savings. Whacked out roommates, restrictions on guests, feeling like you were in someone else's territory, etc. In the bustle and chaos of the city a space of your own can help you keep your sanity. Factor the cost of keeping sane into your budget. I try to do a trip out of the city every 3 months - not just to revew the visa but to see the horizon.Argentina is a beautiful country.

"auntieapple" said:
now here goes guys and Granda I am not using you as a scapegoat but lets just use your calculations
Rental 700 peso
I dont know anywhere that you can rent a decently furnished one bedroom apartment for less than 400 pesos per week because remember our friend Sarah is probably not in a position to get a long let at the moment
It's called long term rent with waranty. And there are still people that rent anything decent for 700-800 peso a month all inn and it will be less if you share
100 pesos a week! are you another aenorexic Granada, Bull*bleep*, that means you can eat TWICE maybe three times max in a restaurant in one month and starve for the rest! Anyone who comes to enjoy BA will be going to restaurants at least 4 times a month especially if they want to network and meet people. I say you need at least 300 pesos a week to eat.
I never said food in a supermarket in Argentina so I won't know but it seems to me for 400/500 peso you can eat decently. This would be less if you share
another 1,200 pesos for food/restaurants/bars per month
Not a lot room if you are on a small budget. I spend about 3000 peso a month on everything without rent
Clothes 200 peso
well we can tell a man wrote that. 200 pesos is two pairs of jeans and if you want to work in an international company I suggest you smarten up.
Everybody wants nobody can
Insurrance 200 peso
you forget entertainment Granada, maybe football is cheap and you dont have an entertainment budget but I think
I have no budget, I spend what I want
400 pesos a month s fair

Depends where you go but if you live in europe its at least double that and more
Invest some time in it
also to rely on saving monthly for an annual ticket is pretty sad and worse what if you have an emergency and need to get home quick what then?
Call mom
now what about service charges in your apartment telephone transport
300 per month
OK we'll skip the maid as obviously thats not something you do Granada, you are obviously good at washing plates as you dont eat out! well maybe on roadside truck grills
I never eat at home
it would be nice now that you are in Argentina to see it!
occasional weekend to colonia
ski trip to barriloche
check out salta?
Yes on 2 or 3 and then also Montevideo, Punta del Este, Mendoza, Cordoba, La Plata, Rosario, Igazu, Pinaropolos, Concordia, Chilecito, Cafayate, Tucuman, San Juan, La Roja, Santiago, Punta Arenas, IQQ, Arequipa, Lima, Tacna, Machu Pichu, La Paz, Santa Cruz, Sao Paulo, Brasilia, Iquitos
Have you already saved for La Plata or is your 3 monthly trip to Colonia to expensive?
Now does one here just intend to live "hand to mouth"?
surely we all like to invest in something, Ishould think at 27 one should be thinking of putting some money away for that nice apartment or does one these days just "live".
my total so far being rather meagre is
1,600 rent
1,200 food/restaurants/bars
500 clothes
350 girli stuff
200 health
400 entertainment
300 service charges/gas/electric
my total for living is
4,550 pesos
that leaves
2,450 for flights and savings bringing a total to
7,000 pesos that is just over two thouand dollars per months FFS
if one comes to Argentina to live surely it is not to live like a hippie
and just for the record I never came here on a free ride, I earn my money, with husband or without.
I need about 70 to 100 euro a day, depending on what I do
Maybe you did not yet find out but I just pointed out that you can't live on 1500 peso.
Go back to reading classes

It is not like montana is getting off the plane with no money. She has some savings & is coming here to investigate opportunities - sounds perfectly reasonable to me. And regardless of how it works out, taking 6 months or some amount of time to live overseas is NEVER a bad thing on your resume, especially if she picks up another language. (and I ran a recruiting firm in the states so I know of what I speak)

Montana - feel free to drop me a note & we can definitely meet up for a coffee. I am in a similar situation (sort of) in that I just moved here about 3 weeks ago to start up a biz with a friend of mine. I am living on savings & if things don't work out - I will eventually go back to the States. But in the worst case, it will be an amazing learning experience & in the best case, I will have a succesful business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back