What crimes have you been a victim of in BA?

What crimes have you been a victim of in BA?

• I have never been a victim

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I have been robbed

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • I have been assaulted

Votes: 35 25.4%
  • I have had my personal things stolen

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I have been burglarized

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • I have been shot

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters

admin

Administrator
Staff member
There is a possibility, that crime situation in Buenos Aires is better than it seems to from people's posts here. If a person has been a victim, he almost always shares his experience. People also write about what happened to their friends and friends of friends. At the same time lucky members, who have never been a victim of any crime, have nothing to talk about. So, could you please participate, so we can have a clearer picture? Mention only crimes that were committed against you personally. I guess, you can write in comments how much time you've lived in Buenos Aires.

Thanks!

1. Targetted robbery. Was at a computer parts distributor, in a private appartment, reading a brochure when somene tapped my head. Turned around to find myself staring at the business end of a loaded revolver. Valuable and easy to carry and sell parts were stollen. Robbers looked and behaved as cops.
2. Pickpocketted at the subte and train station more than once Both succesfuly and unsuccessfully.
3. Once, at the subte I was frisked simultaneously by a crowd. Surreal.
4. Had my messenger bag stolen from my chair at a crowded restaurant at noon.
5. Avoided bad shit developping too many times to count.

Pickpocketed, cell phone stolen by a cyclist, attempted robbery by throwing mustard on clothes, attempt by real estate agent to sell me a property without clear title, employer pocketed my pension contributions (i only discovered years later), architect seriously overbilled me, personal possessions stolen by workmen, countless incidents of overcharging because i am a "rich foreigner"....... There are others.

I have never been a victim of crime in Argentina - staying here 4-6 months/year since eight years! Recall a very few attempted pickpockets, though.

The only time I have been assaulted in SA was on a daytrip to the - supposedly safe - Montevideo downtown in bright daylight (did one of the most stupid things in my life and fought the guy off...).

I selected I have had my personal things stolen although it wasn't a successful attempt as despite grabbing my bag and phone, I managed to hold on to them. I didn't select (but think I could have) I have been robbed since both my best friend and my boyfriend had their trucks stolen from the street (Libertador) in front of my apartment while visiting me.

I have been living in Buenos Aires for 10 years for at least 5 months each year and have not experienced any assaults or petty theft.
I travel around the city on buses which I prefer over the Subte since I feel that I can protect my space better on the buses.
I have been out late at night but mostly in the Recoleta,Barrio Norte, Palermo Areas.

In 17 years of spending a month or two a year here and the last 3 years of living here permanently I have not experienced any crime. The only crime I have seen is motochurros grabbing the rolexes of obvious tourists (why do they dress in safari suits to come to south america) on florida street. I live in Villa Crespo and find it quite barrio and safe at night. That being said I wouldn't leave my car on the street overnight as there is plenty of evidence that there are a lot of robberies from cars.

I've spent 3-6 months here a year since 2006. My first night here, in January 2006, I came out of a jazz club run out of a PH with some friends, a couple of cops were waiting outside; they lined us all up against a wall, and emptied & inspected our wallets one by one. One of them was wearing a gold chain, and was the perfect picture of small-time police corruption. To my amazement, after searching our wallets, they all gave us our money back. Apparently they were looking for drugs.

I remember thinking, hey, that's not the wallet inspector!

I know lots of people who have been robbed. A friend of mine had a necklace ripped off her neck right in front of my house in the middle of the day. I have not personally been the victim of any crime.

I have been living in the city almost 8 years and never get robbed not any of my friend and family neither, but i know some people that are not friends or family that has suffer some pickpocketing in the subte.

Back