What crimes have you been a victim of in BA?

What crimes have you been a victim of in BA?

• I have never been a victim

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I have been robbed

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • I have been assaulted

Votes: 35 25.4%
  • I have had my personal things stolen

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I have been burglarized

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • I have been shot

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
Perhaps ya'll missed where I said I did NOT select robbery.

In point of fact, both friend and BF are ARgentine and neither participate on this site. And since I was involved in both happenings, including having to go to the station to give a statement and also present a statement to the insurance agent, I was involved. But since it wasn't *my* car stolen, I didn't select that option.

It's worthless anyway. Those that haven't experienced crime or are newly arrived will go around thinking the city is safe and people are being dramatic. Those who have experienced crime or had it impact people close to them will continue to see the city and its dangers from that perspective.

My attitude will stay the same - I will continue to take the precautions based on my experience and my knowledge. That's really all I can do.

lamarque said:
Now that i have try to explain statistic as is something i really like and i had study in my degree, i pass to clarify you thing you have write:
''In the case of citygirl whose boyfriend and her best friend have both had their trucks stolen. Now I am assuming those two are not registered on this forum and the only "spokesperson" on this forum for those two is citygirl.''
That is the problem if she add other people that has suffer incident been around her then she have to add people that has not suffer any incident in her presence and that only mess things up.
''You started a thread and contrary to my beliefs, it turned out to be a decent one after all.''
thank for your trust lol
''I said it there and I will say it again, you will try to look at any story on crime or any poll taken with your perspective and will always try to play down the seriousness of crime because you personally seem to believe that its all bloated out of proportion and that Buenos Aires is not dangerous and the crime situation is not getting worse.''
You are confuse here, i didn't say Buenos Aires is not dangerous, i say is relatively not dangerous ''relative to others citys around the world of it size'' there is a big difference between not been dangerous and relatively not been dangerous, the other thing is that i say in my believe Buenos Aires is getting worse, but as i say in the other topic that why i opened i want to know how much is true and how much is perception, but please read again the other topic and you will see that at least 5 times i put that in my personal believe i think Buenos Aires is getting unsafe, if you don't find it i can copy paste all the places were i told that if you really want that, is not cool that people say things one never have told.

Okay Lamarque, honestly dude my head's spinning trying to understand your posts. Either take more time in writing what you write or leave room for people to misunderstand what you mean.

Anyway, I said "you personally seem to believe that its all bloated out of proportion and that Buenos Aires is not dangerous and the crime situation is not getting worse". When one uses the words "seem to", that means, "you appear as saying..." or something equivalent. No I don't know for sure or I would have said "you believe". Big difference but I can understand if you didn't catch that.

"That is the problem if she add other people that has suffer incident been around her then she have to add people that has not suffer any incident in her presence and that only mess things up."

I think what you said was that if citygirl related the incident of her boyfriend and her best friend being robbed, then she has to relate the incident of others that she knows who have not been robbed. That sounds like "if you have been a victim of a crime one day, then the reality that you weren't a victim of a crime the next day should negate your experience the day before and should prove that crime does not exist."

Again, you and I are arguing over something that shouldn't even be argued about in the first place. This isn't your thread and the criteria is not yours. That's what I am talking about here. Try not to set boundaries and be a referee where you weren't appointed as one.

And please take some time to write your posts before you post them so its easier to understand for the rest of us. I am not trying to insult you. I would do the same thing if I dared write anything in Spanish.

citygirl said:
Perhaps ya'll missed where I said I did NOT select robbery.

In point of fact, both friend and BF are ARgentine and neither participate on this site. And since I was involved in both happenings, including having to go to the station to give a statement and also present a statement to the insurance agent, I was involved. But since it wasn't *my* car stolen, I didn't select that option.

It's worthless anyway. Those that haven't experienced crime or are newly arrived will go around thinking the city is safe and people are being dramatic. Those who have experienced crime or had it impact people close to them will continue to see the city and its dangers from that perspective.

My attitude will stay the same - I will continue to take the precautions based on my experience and my knowledge. That's really all I can do.

I know. Sorry I used you as an example.

nicoenarg said:
Lamarque,

In your bid to try to teach me what Statistics is, I think you might have misread my post. Anyway.

Yes I have studied Statistics, have you? Any statistical study is done with predefined criteria. And I was actually going against your predefined criteria which, to be honest, is as ridiculous as what you seem to be writing in the post above.

Let me say it again in as plain English as I possibly can. Not every expat in Buenos Aires is a part of this forum. I didn't say everyone on this forum had to vote for this to be accurate. All I said was, keeping the case of citygirl in mind, that there are a lot of expats that are not registered on this forum. Keeping the fact in mind that this forum is one of the best sources of information in English on Buenos Aires and Argentina, when you try to discount the robberies that citygirl's boyfriend and her best friend experienced, then you're trying to discount actual events that happened. Seeing that those two are not on this forum and also seeing that you told their "spokesperson" to basically shut up, you have already skewed the data in your favor.

Now, 1 turns into 30 or 32. Yeah sure, sounds pretty awful doesn't it? But your assumption, which I find pretty darn ignorant, is that every expat on this forum is, in one way or another, connected to every other expat. That our individual experiences are connected to every other expat and that they affect every other expat. How did you come to the conclusion that just because citygirl's friends had the experience means that every other expat on this forum knows about that and will vote on it accordingly?

Lamarque, once again, I'm sorry but your argument is fallacious. And the fallacy lies in exactly this: We are not a tightly knit community of expats who are all connected to each other as though in a circle. A lot of us are here with our Argentine significant others and are connected to Argentina through their families.

So let's dispense with the BS that you just tried to pull in giving me a class. Like I said before, at the end of the day this poll was started by the admin, so let's let them handle it. Don't try to be a referee where you weren't appointed as one. We all have our opinions, let's not try to skew things started by others in our favor.

''you have already skewed the data in your favor.'' You spoke as a football fan, this is not a stupid sport competition wtf why would be in my favor any of the result here? the only way that this result in my favor is if this poll actually result in a accurate measure.

''Now, 1 turns into 30 or 32. Yeah sure, a sound pretty awful doesn’t it? But your assumption, which I find pretty darn ignorant''
This was just a paste from the previous poll rules to make both statistic compatible and comparable, in the other hand even if the others expats and they are locals i mean the ones in this example, is still the same case, because you are putting what has happen to another person that is not you so you are disrupting the numbers, why? simple because you don't make a vote for every person that has not suffer any incident

''Not every expat in Buenos Aires is a part of this forum.'' so what? you don't need every expat you just need an acceptable sample.

I was going to answer one by one all you have posted but then i realize that will be just a waste of time, you are to concentrate in writing and not reading and i truly don't believe that you have any knowledge of statistic sorry if you find this rude but the thinks you write don't have any place in a correct statistic, well anyway better to stop discussing with you, you just take the discussion as a sport math were one has to win and one has to loose, when in reality discussion should try to improve things.
Yes i do accept that my english is no so good, but i try mi best, sorry about that

lamarque said:
''you have already skewed the data in your favor.'' You spoke as a football fan, this is not a stupid sport competition wtf why would be in my favor any of the result here? the only way that this result in my favor is if this poll actually result in a accurate measure.

''Now, 1 turns into 30 or 32. Yeah sure, a sound pretty awful doesn’t it? But your assumption, which I find pretty darn ignorant''
This was just a paste from the previous poll rules to make both statistic compatible and comparable, in the other hand even if you don't know the other expats and they are locals the ones in this example is still the same case, because you are putting what has happen to another person that is not you so you are disrupting the numbers, why? simple because you don't make a vote for every person that has not suffer any incident

''Not every expat in Buenos Aires is a part of this forum.'' so what? you don't need every expat you just need an acceptable sample.

I was going to answer one by one all you have posted but then i realize that will be just a waste of time, you are to concentrate in writing and not reading and i truly don't believe that you have any knowledge of statistic sorry if you find this rude but the thinks you write don't have any place in a correct statistic, well anyway better to stop discussing with you, you just take the discussion as a sport math were one has to win and one has to loose, when in reality discussion should try to improve things.

Sure lamarque, whatever floats your boat. Not only can you not write, you can't read things in context either.

lamarque said:

This was just a paste from the previous poll rules to make both statistic compatible and comparable, in the other hand even if the others expats and they are locals i mean the ones in this example, is still the same case, because you are putting what has happen to another person that is not you so you are disrupting the numbers, why? simple because you don't make a vote for every person that has not suffer any incident

Yes i do accept that my english is no so good, but i try mi best, sorry about that

That's fine. All I was asking you to do was to take some time before you post. There are a lot of people whose first language is not English. In all honesty, I find it really hard to understand what you're saying.

nicoenarg said:
That's fine. All I was asking you to do was to take some time before you post. There are a lot of people whose first language is not English. In all honesty, I find it really hard to understand what you're saying.
I have more problems writing than speaking in english, and is not helping that the last time i have been to much into the German and not taking care of improve my english that much

Why don't we just stick to the poll?
I think there are other rooms for debating semantics/statistics..................................

Time served so far..........................seven years and counting.
Armed robbery in my shop twice.
Car broken into and stolen from twice.
Bicycle stolen last week...........................that REALLY hurt!

Statistics to me are meaningless. I take nothing away from this poll, but when it happens to you personally, statisticians can take a hike.

nicoenarg said:
Yes I have studied Statistics, have you? Any statistical study is done with predefined criteria. And I was actually going against your predefined criteria which, to be honest, is as ridiculous as what you seem to be writing in the post above.
If you don't understand the strong bias introduced by reporting incidents happening to others, I suggest you study statistics again and this time pay attention to what your professor tells you.

I am the author of the older poll (two years of statistics at CBA) and it was carefully planned to show

1. the subsection of society, which frequent baExpats
2. avoid duplicates.

Addition: The Definitions used in the old poll are FBI standard definitions.

Back