What crimes have you been a victim of in BA?

What crimes have you been a victim of in BA?

• I have never been a victim

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I have been robbed

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • I have been assaulted

Votes: 35 25.4%
  • I have had my personal things stolen

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I have been burglarized

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • I have been shot

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
I would like to congratulate, non-sarcastically, the admins for such an entertaining forum. It seems there is an unwritten rule that every thread over 2 pages long must contain personal insults, and there appear to be long-standing grudges between members who have apparently never met. At the same time, there's a huge amount of tremendously useful information, both buried in the archives, and being posted on a weekly basis.

It's also pretty cool that there are already 70+ respondents!

demokritos said:
I would like to congratulate, non-sarcastically, the admins for such an entertaining forum. It seems there is an unwritten rule that every thread over 2 pages long must contain personal insults, and there appear to be long-standing grudges between members who have apparently never met. At the same time, there's a huge amount of tremendously useful information, both buried in the archives, and being posted on a weekly basis.

It's also pretty cool that there are already 70+ respondents!

Well said! I once had the misfortune to attend a way too long consulting session for work on effectiveness and productivity where many concepts were discussed - one stays with me that seems so evident in this site on aday to day basis "Discount/Revenge"...or the extreme sensitivity of a person/poster over a prolonged period to get even for a perceived slight/injury ie poster a calls person b homer simpson in Jan 2010 and in De 2015 poster b will be still be attacking poster a for any and no reason to exact said revenge. This site is a psychiatrists dream..and a pleasure to be part of!

It would be nice to have more respondents than the 83 - 1 person still makes 1.2 percent.

Had my wallet stolen right out of my purse on the subte and I didn't have a clue until the next day. Several other pretty good attempts have been made since but after that first experience I am wise to them. Other than that, so far so good. I called it "person items stolen" in the survey.

There is an island in the South Pacific that upon visiting, Magellan named The Island of Thieves. At times, (particularly when I'm feeling discouraged from being ripped off) I feel this city could be called The City of Thieves. After 4 years of living here, generally speaking, it seems that whenever the citizens of Buenos Aires see an opportunity to steal they take it.
Have lived in/visited many other cities on this planet, my experience is that none can match Buenos Aires for the countless times I have experienced theft.
It's deeply disappointing. However, since most of our Argentine friends repeat over and over, "You can trust no one here, not even family".
It is some consolation.

Risu said:
However, since most of our Argentine friends repeat over and over, "You can trust no one here, not even family".

You need new friends.

Someone try to come to my store and force me to give them all but they could not do so . What I find very often is people giving you fake money. 2 saturdays ago a guy came in to my store saying he did not speak any Spanish and he did not have pesos. He looks very confuse to me so I feel sorry for him and help him with the money. I changed $100 dollars for him because the banks were close and he say he needed change. (I paid blue value to him because feel sorry for him). The dollars were fake!! I even recommended him not to wear the golden ring he was wearing , told him where the banks were so he can get change, and not to show his money the way he did it to me. It felt awful when I realized that the dollars were fake. But I've learn my lesson.

Risu said:
There is an island in the South Pacific that upon visiting, Magellan named The Island of Thieves. At times, (particularly when I'm feeling discouraged from being ripped off) I feel this city could be called The City of Thieves. After 4 years of living here, generally speaking, it seems that whenever the citizens of Buenos Aires see an opportunity to steal they take it.
Have lived in/visited many other cities on this planet, my experience is that none can match Buenos Aires for the countless times I have experienced theft.
It's deeply disappointing. However, since most of our Argentine friends repeat over and over, "You can trust no one here, not even family".
It is some consolation.

Get new friends man urgently.

Thank you for your well intended advise. My intention is to always remain open to new friends while maintaining my old friends, particularly Argentine. In studying the dynamics of crime one factor remains the strongest cause, particularly in times of economic decline. Opportunity. Many studies on crime state: Opportunity Makes the Thief.
I believe this is the basis for the cautionary warning given by my friends.

I understand the difficulties in covering all criteria for a poll. But, what about attempted crimes? In my eyes that is still a crime. In a "normal country" you can be convicted for attempted crimes. It also contributes to the state / perception of inseguridad.

To be honest, I can understand the admins polls in only wanting to make this poll for personal experiences.

At the end of the day, the experiences of my girlfriend, friends, gfs friends and families and my colleagues here are sufficient for me to understand the poor security situation in this city. And I still strongly disagree with the argument that some like to peddle that expats are the root of all evil perceptions of insecurity in this city. That is bull. Argentines are much more security conscious / paranoid, whatever you want to call it than expats. I actually couldnt believe it when I first arrived. But, having now lived here for close to a year, and being immersed in this perception of insecurity and the real stories behind it you can understand why.

Dont get me wrong, it doesnt stop me from living my life, but I certainly do always look around and over my shoulder, question what belongings I take out of the house, which transport I catch and which areas I frequent. More so than in the first world.

Back