What crimes have you been a victim of in BA?

What crimes have you been a victim of in BA?

• I have never been a victim

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I have been robbed

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • I have been assaulted

Votes: 35 25.4%
  • I have had my personal things stolen

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I have been burglarized

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • I have been shot

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
citygirl said:
it appears 50% of those that voted have been a victim of a crime (multiples for at least some given the numbers).
Nope. 50% voted not victim.

nicoenarg said:
I'm glad you can read FBI standard definitions but its sad you can't read posts written in simple English.

I have no problem with your definitions. But that's what I have been repeating over and over, it isn't a thread started by either you or lamarque. The admin started this thread and didn't feel the need to put people's experiences in a box.

For some reason you and lamarque want to do that and that's fine. Start your own thread. Don't try to make this thread into what you'd like to see.

And the same goes for me, hence I am not even putting my vote in either way.

My problem was with lamarque trying to define this thread in his own way to begin with, now you come up and say the definitions are yours and are defending it. Fine, I don't care. I am done arguing with lamarque and so I'm done arguing with you.

PS (Lamarque and John): If you like these definitions and standards so much then start your own thread. Its simple to do. Or do you need schooling in that from your professors? And along the same lines, by the way, its a fallacious assumption that there will definitely be repetitions, in my opinion. But of course, you're entitled to those assumptions. Point remains that the thread is not started by you or lamarque, so don't define it your way.

Man what is your problem, you are not adding value here at least other people is helping trying to do an accurate statistic survey or making suggestions, what are you adding? you don't even vote because you don't want to stick to the poll rules so what is your value here? chill up dude people is trying to help, don't behave as a child
You say that you know about statistic and then write things that don't make any sense really no sense at all, when i try to explain you why, you don't want to read and just tell me that my English suck, ok i accept that my English suck now grow up and accept that you know nothing about statistic and then we can pass page and stop discussing.

lamarque said:
Man what is your problem, you are not adding value here at least other people is helping trying to do an accurate statistic survey or making suggestions, what are you adding? you don't even vote because you don't want to stick to the poll rules so what is your value here? chill up dude people is trying to help, don't behave as a child
You say that you know about statistic and then write things that don't make any sense really no sense at all, when i try to explain you why, you don't want to read and just tell me that my English suck, ok i accept that my English suck now grow up and accept that you know nothing about statistic and then we can pass page and stop discussing.

lamarque

push this button more often

VauT0.jpg

:D

BASailor said:

You're a glass is half full kind of guy, no? :D

I haven't been a victim of a crime and voted accordingly.

However, I do think the question of "do you have a loved one that has been a victim of a crime?" is valid. Perhaps not for this poll, but if there was a serious survey about crime and safety in the city, that would be a reasonable question especially if it pertains to your household.

50% is pretty close to the last poll as well.

See? It's old, from 2007, but it shows the questions asked.
Overall, about 3 out of 10 Americans say they or another member of their household has been victimized by crime in the past year, with about one in five saying they personally were the victim.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/102658/us-crime-victimization-trends-flat.aspx

That gives you more information since it includes the household and there's also a limited time frame.

Right now I'm just glad I haven't been shot. I've been all the rest in my 6 years here, some multiples too...

Eclair said:
You're a glass is half full kind of guy, no? :D

I haven't been a victim of a crime and voted accordingly.

However, I do think the question of "do you have a loved one that has been a victim of a crime?" is valid. Perhaps not for this poll, but if there was a serious survey about crime and safety in the city, that would be a reasonable question especially if it pertains to your household.

50% is pretty close to the last poll as well.

See? It's old, from 2007, but it shows the questions asked.
Overall, about 3 out of 10 Americans say they or another member of their household has been victimized by crime in the past year, with about one in five saying they personally were the victim.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/102658/us-crime-victimization-trends-flat.aspx

That gives you more information since it includes the household and there's also a limited time frame.

Yes but what does Gallup know about polls and statistics...its not like that's pretty much all they do! :rolleyes:

I'm sure lamarque would like to give them a class on statistics and John would like to throw "FBI definitions" in their face.

lamarque said:
I have more problems writing than speaking in english, and is not helping that the last time i have been to much into the German and not taking care of improve my english that much

Understood but that doesn't excuse your lack of using simple "."s

BASailor said:

Um..if 50% of the voters responded "not a victim", that would mean 50% have in fact been a victim. (It's higher now).

Eclair said:
I get your point, but it has its own problems.

To get an unbiased result, you must also ask "How many of your loved ones have not been victims of a crime?" or you have 2 victims counted and 4 non-victims not counted.

Eclair said:
This too has inherent problems. The longer the time limit, the more inaccurate the result, as we remember unusual events better than the usual ones. There is a considerable risk that aunt Mary, who had her purse picked 14 months ago, will be counted. Only people who keep a diary can give a precise answer.

Back