What do American expats miss the most about living in America?

Something else I miss: good Vietnamese restaurants. And decent spring rolls - crisp, instead of greasy and soggy.
Yes, and LUMPIA!
and Chicken Adobo!
(yes, I know that's Filipino not Vietnamese. Sue me :p)

But on the up side, I just had a wonderful piece of bife de chorizo that cost me about 3.50 USD.
I mixed some olive oil and vinegar with a bit of salt and couple pinches of condimento para pizza, tossed the steak in it for a few minutes, and then dropped it into a hot frying pan. When that was seared, I served it up with mashed potatoes with butter, salt, and pepper, and had myself a wonderful meal for less than the cost of a Big Mac in San Diego. You can't beat that with a stick. Sure, I had a salad an hour before that probably cost me another 75 cents or so, but that was mostly because tomatoes are so pricey right now..

Sure, I miss all that stuff I listed, but I choose to stay here.

Last edited:
Acceptable levels of noise especially when it comes to music.

Every country of course has a sizable minority of people who believe they can blast music as loud as they want to at all times of day but Argentina would have to take gold if this was an Olympic event.

The rules seem to be that headphones are prohibited and if you want to listen to music you must ensure neighbours five streets away can hear it also.

Paper thin walls don't help the situation in CABA however which brings me to my second item of nostalgia...sound insulation in apartments...

I don’t miss much from USA. However, the sidewalks here are terrible. They’re made of tiles and they’re not holding up well, even in nice neighborhoods. You have to watch your step a lot more. They have economic issues so that may be the reason and not necessarily lack of good judgement. They also have these weird keys that at first I thought are only in the classical buildings, but I noticed them even in modern buildings. Not sure why they’re that way but they’re hard to get inside the key hole. I wonder how secure they are. Also, I’m not very familiar with apartment living, but I confirm lots of apartments I’ve seen here you can hear very clearly what’s going on in the other room, a complain I read before multiple times on this forum. I also noticed that their products often don’t mention the amount of sugar.

Customer service here has been far better than USA in my experience. If you’re a minority in USA, especially in southern regions, you often get a different customer service on all levels, business, government, etc. It’s terrible actually and I almost cried after I arrived here and noticed the difference. There’s a Youtube Channel, Ace Live, where the guy is black and from Miami, and he’s been documenting Argentina, and he seems to be treated well and be very happy. Here I’ve noticed often a culture of excellence where people are very self critical and try to do things perfectly, and they also seem to be good with other races and ethnicities. On the other hand, in southern USA there’s often a culture of we’re better than everyone, when often those people saying that are some of the worse around, and when that interacts with the Buenos Aires self critical culture I can see how one is going to get mischaracterized. The police here seem far better than USA southern region, where police often walk around like they own the place. Lots of it is just a matter of culture. The USA sourthern region is very uncivilized, and deceptively so because it is part of a powerful and wealthy country, and it’s been harming not only the minorities there, but foreigners worldwide, and there’s probably more bad to come from them, unfortunately. Next election is coming up and the Trump types aren’t going away, and they have one of the most powerful coutries in the world that they influence. I should add however that in southern USA many people are good, so I don’t want to paint a wrong picture, just saying that very large segments of its population are not good. The people here are far more civilized and intelligent in my experience, and also seem very classy, often saying hello and goodbye in the elevator or waiting room, and often offering to help. I’ve seen some very run down neighborhoods here where you might think you’re in a bad neighborhood, but the people even in very poor neighborhoods seem pretty good. Regarding Trader Joe’s, I used to shop there regularly and wondered where I would get some of my favorite vegan sweets here. Although the USA brands aren’t often found here, now I think Trader Joe’s vegan options are generally little and not as good compared to here. The foods here and sense about taste seem superior.

Rugged individualism and work ethic, mostly. The other stuff I scrape by using my own to replicate what I miss.

+1 for customer service, libraries, post office, roads, and cheese (haven't attempted making cheese yet, but it's on the list).

I don’t miss much from USA. However, the sidewalks here are terrible. They’re made of tiles and they’re not holding up well, even in nice neighborhoods. You have to watch your step a lot more. They have economic issues so that may be the reason and not necessarily lack of good judgement. They also have these weird keys that at first I thought are only in the classical buildings, but I noticed them even in modern buildings. Not sure why they’re that way but they’re hard to get inside the key hole. I wonder how secure they are. Also, I’m not very familiar with apartment living, but I confirm lots of apartments I’ve seen here you can hear very clearly what’s going on in the other room, a complain I read before multiple times on this forum. I also noticed that their products often don’t mention the amount of sugar.

Customer service here has been far better than USA in my experience. If you’re a minority in USA, especially in southern regions, you often get a different customer service on all levels, business, government, etc. It’s terrible actually and I almost cried after I arrived here and noticed the difference. There’s a Youtube Channel, Ace Live, where the guy is black and from Miami, and he’s been documenting Argentina, and he seems to be treated well and be very happy. Here I’ve noticed often a culture of excellence where people are very self critical and try to do things perfectly, and they also seem to be good with other races and ethnicities. On the other hand, in southern USA there’s often a culture of we’re better than everyone, when often those people saying that are some of the worse around, and when that interacts with the Buenos Aires self critical culture I can see how one is going to get mischaracterized. The police here seem far better than USA southern region, where police often walk around like they own the place. Lots of it is just a matter of culture. The USA sourthern region is very uncivilized, and deceptively so because it is part of a powerful and wealthy country, and it’s been harming not only the minorities there, but foreigners worldwide, and there’s probably more bad to come from them, unfortunately. Next election is coming up and the Trump types aren’t going away, and they have one of the most powerful coutries in the world that they influence. I should add however that in southern USA many people are good, so I don’t want to paint a wrong picture, just saying that very large segments of its population are not good. The people here are far more civilized and intelligent in my experience, and also seem very classy, often saying hello and goodbye in the elevator or waiting room, and often offering to help. I’ve seen some very run down neighborhoods here where you might think you’re in a bad neighborhood, but the people even in very poor neighborhoods seem pretty good. Regarding Trader Joe’s, I used to shop there regularly and wondered where I would get some of my favorite vegan sweets here. Although the USA brands aren’t often found here, now I think Trader Joe’s vegan options are generally little and not as good compared to here. The foods here and sense about taste seem superior.
That's not why so many ppl dies to get to US to better their lives even as a minority. I'm very grateful with a country that took me in, always treated me right and allowed me to live a great life with my family, something I couldn't do in my country Argentina. You of course are entitled to your opinions and half trues, not to take my time to read them.

The "USA southern region is very uncivilized."

OK.

Papa Ginos Pepperoni Pizza
(…It’s a New England thing)
Total comfort food
…it brings back good childhood memories….

Back