What do American expats miss the most about living in America?

LEDs are new to me for growing, but I've built a few panels for product photography lighting. Last time I did a grow was eleven years ago with reliable old HIDs and then outdoors in the summer. But now I'd be restricted to a spare bedroom instead of a converted garage or warehouse so I'd have to scale down and those HIDs put out tons of heat. I'm just going by what an old grower friend who runs a grow shop has been telling me and things I pick up on other forums. The technology has changed a lot in recent years. Those "blurple" LED lights are old and the coloring makes it harder to gauge plant health. The latest thing is full spectrum quantum boards. The ones I've found here have 4 (out of 288) diodes that are UV, but always wear that eye protection.

What I'm planning on making is something close to this Argentine made light (which gets good reviews from the local grow forums), but with 6 panels using an HLG Scorpion design instead of just the 2 panels so that I can be able to run the lights softer and with a better distribution of light. Should be a fun project.

Not American but there is a lack of good Asian restaurants here. Some are decent sure but there is a big lack of immigrants familiar with the cuisine to get things going, rather Argentines trying to imitate it. Lots of Chinese immigrants sure but their restaurants are mostly fast food style Asian food marketed as a cheap way to feed a family.
There are some great Korean restaurants. It's just that you won't find them in Palermo or Belgrano.

There are some great Korean restaurants. It's just that you won't find them in Palermo or Belgrano.
Actually good asian restaurants have been spreading- used to be you had to go Flores to eat at Cancion Coreana, but now there are a variety of asian and asian fusion places all over.
There is a mini cluster in Retiro- A Saigon (Vietnamese-ish) Mr. Ho (Korean, from a Flores Restaurant family) and Fa Song Song (kick ass korean, where all the korean tourists eat), all right by Esmeralda and Marcelo Alvear.
Then, there are two amazing places in Villa Crespo- Nanum, which is gourmet modern korean from a korean chef, and ApaNena, which is from the chef of Sunae.
Of course, Sunae is also good.
Tori Tori, I love. Really good dumplings at Mian in Barrio Chino.
And there are actually quite a few more, scattered about.

Whereabouts? My in-laws are Peruvian, and for those times any of us are in BsAs (which is where I assume you're talking about) knowing where to get the best Peruvian food would be valuable. We're outside of Cordoba, where Peruvian food is non-existent. In the city there's a place that's passable. Goods at the Peruvian/Bolivian market are around 4x what you'd pay in Peru (not unexpected), but instead of longing for things from home, I just find new things here.

Yes, we're in BA, there's a cluster of Peruvian restaurants in Belgrano, we've eaten quite often at Cocoroco, and found it to be good. Imperio del Sol is about a block away, we haven't eaten there for a while, and it seems to have accumulated some negative opinions, but it was fine when we went. Lots of Peruvians at both places so I assume they're fairly authentic. Very generous portions. Osaka is also in Belgrano, expensive by local standards, but top class Peruvian-Japanese fusion cuisine.

In Chinatown there used to be Lucumma, a bit higher-end. It was open recently, but Google is reporting it as permanently closed, which would be unfortunate, maybe someone will report. It's on the same street (Olazabal) as one of the better Chinese supermarkets (Chung Hwa) where you can also get Peruvian condiments and often rocoto chiles as well. Lots of fresh fish too. We were disappointed by Contigo Peru, small portions, slow and mixed up service.

In Palermo there's Asumare (in-joke for Peruvians), nice patio but slow service, In Recoleta there's La Causa Nikkei, higher end and a bit snobbish, no roast chicken there :) but some very nice causas.

Astrid and Gaston have Tanta, in the centre, which is Peruvian cuisine adapted for Argentina (i.e. nothing hot or spicy, almost all meat dishes), but a very nice dining room and good service. They also have La Mar in Palermo, which is supposed to be very good, but we haven't been there yet.

Any recommendations from your inlaws are very welcome.

Thanks for those recommendations, FP. They don't really know BsAs at all. Might spend a day there after arriving from Peru depending on the itinerary. I'll see if I can find out from them what info they have on Peruvian restaurants in Cordoba. It's kind of interesting seeing them as expats since the whole family are now expats. Now they have something of an idea of how it was at times for me in Peru. My father in law misses things from Peru more than my mother in law. Every now and then he'll say Argentines don't know how to eat. He's traditional. If there's no soup served, it's not almuerzo.

Lately I've been missing licorice. Not the cheap, flavorless stuff, but the really good licorice. For all I know it's here and I just haven't looked for it yet.

Back