What do pedestrian crossings mean in CABA?

This is true, however a lot of pedestrians disregard their own lives as well. I sometimes joke with my DH and call them the "suicides". It really is chaotic and dangerous. When I was in school we were taught how to cross the streets, we actually went out with teachers to practice ( supervised of course ), and I know that drivers need to pass tests to get their licenses, so I don't really know where this comes from tbh, but it gets worse year after year.
Argentinians do not appear to have a sense of self-preservation, whether on foot, bike, motorbike (one tried to drive under my wheels today on the motorway), or even in a car. It’s like “I’m on the wide open pampa and I can do whatever I want” 🙄

I often ask myself how Argentines who visit the US and rent a car drive, as the strictly enforced traffic laws there are cash cows for local governments.

As examples, in Ft Lauderdale you can turn right at traffic lights if no cars are coming and vehicles MUST STOP for pedestrians in crosswalks. And if you speed in a school zone, you're toast there.

Here.......mañana ...

I often ask myself how Argentines who visit the US and rent a car drive, as the strictly enforced traffic laws there are cash cows for local governments.

As examples, in Ft Lauderdale you can turn right at traffic lights if no cars are coming and vehicles MUST STOP for pedestrians in crosswalks. And if you speed in a school zone, you're toast there.

Here.......mañana ...
It's actually very simple, in Argentine rules are not even a suggestion, the only rule is self preservation, and small part that most people don't want to kill anyone. Means everyone are just driving/walking as they perceive safe enough. One can imagine this isn't safest way to run traffic. They know in other countries rules are stricter and punishment inevitable, so they adhere to their rules.

Lack of punishment and police presence is what is making traffic shit here. Never saw such useless police anywhere. They just drive around or stand by. Don't even know how much are fines, since no one ever complained around me to pay one. The only time I heard of traffic fine was the case of car rental demanding huge amount for traffic violention, that supposedly occur, and it was very unbelievable.

Lack of punishment is evident throughout the society, not only traffic. Working in black, not giving invoices ajd many more examples... I mean, why to adhere to the rules no one cares about?

Yes Police don’t do a great deal to enforce the rules.
I don’t know why they don’t, fines could be a good source of income!

On the other hand, Locals love Jaywalking and there is no fines or police reaction.
And correctly so. If you don't enforce rules for vehicles, why would you do so for pedestrians? Everyone is pedestrian while not everyone is the driver. Also, walking demands more effort, so it is normal you will try to do it in most efficient way, while not endangering anyone else. The same is not valid for vehicles of all types.

You have obviously never tried crossing a street in Chicago...
I find that I can generally stare down an Argentine driver into stopping. Except colectivos. I dont mess with colectivos, they always have the right of way.

You have obviously never tried crossing a street in Chicago...
I find that I can generally stare down an Argentine driver into stopping. Except colectivos. I dont mess with colectivos, they always have the right of way.
I was waiting for you to say you're wrong, that doesn't happen in Argentina or it's never happened to me, or for you to take about your superior experience. You never disappoint.

Some towns in Argentina are adding cameras at intersections. To give fines for running red lights, ignoring cross walk, speeding. I do not think it is fully automated, perhaps only partially automated. I cannot believe it is uses AI or ML to detect the use of a seat belt, so there must be workers reviewing camera feeds to then apply the fines. Example of the published fines in Neuquén city as they are finishing the install of 213 cameras at intersections.

fotomultas-valores-neuquen-marzo-2024.jpeg

Some towns in Argentina are adding cameras at intersections. To give fines for running red lights, ignoring cross walk, speeding. I do not think it is fully automated, perhaps only partially automated. I cannot believe it is uses AI or ML to detect the use of a seat belt, so there must be workers reviewing camera feeds to then apply the fines. Example of the published fines in Neuquén city as they are finishing the install of 213 cameras at intersections.

fotomultas-valores-neuquen-marzo-2024.jpeg

It’s a thing in CABA too: https://www.infobae.com/sociedad/20...l-celular-y-el-cinturon-de-seguridad-en-caba/

I doubt very much that it’s AI, and when I was living in Europe I’m fairly certain the photo check was manual.

In CABA at least they do fine you, last November my son made a partial incursion in u car into a zebra crossing (it wasn’t me, I was in hospital at the time , thank you so much son for this memento of your visit) and the fine arrived by email.

That was the last of the efficiency though, as CABA had forgotten my registration with their stupid webpage (AGIP I think) and since I’ve since changed DNI numbers there was no easy way to correct this. After a bunch of painful WhatsApp sessions I was able to be a Pagofacil code to pay the damn fine.

Back