What do you all cook down here?

First, learn how to make an easy Thai-style peanut sauce, a good tomato sauce, and an easy salad dressing (just olive oil, balsamic, good mustard if you can find it, and herbs.) Those are staples that you can throw over anything to make it feel more like a meal :)

Since I'm way low-maintenance, I like to cut up lots of random veggies into a colorful salad, and serve it alongside a baked potato, quinoa, brown rice, or some butternut squash. Also, lots of soups - lentil and carrot, veggie, black bean, minestrone. Just throw everything into a pot and come back 1-2 hours later. I make homemade hummus and eat it with everything. Omelettes are easy, and sometimes I just want a good old grilled-cheese-and-tomato sandwich.

P.S. MizzMarr... dang. Any chance you want to have us over for dinner anytime soon? :D

starlucia said:
P.S. MizzMarr... dang. Any chance you want to have us over for dinner anytime soon? :D

Hi, Mizzmar, LAtoBA, StarLucía etc,

I was thinking the same thing when I read Mizzmar's advice and recipes!

Would anybody be interested in getting togother to cook or share cooking tips?

My new year's resolution (among others :) was to get some recipes and start cooking. So far, I've successfully made four simple dishes!

Joe

I prefer to cook a big batch of lentils or beans as well as brown rice at the beginning of the week. I munch on them throughout the week and make salads for lunch. If we have an asado I like to throw on a ton of veggies and (red peppers, zapallitos, butternut squash, onions, potatoes) and keep them in the fridge for anything and everything. i love having them around bc you can throw them in some pasta with a little olive oil and cheese or have then on some toast like bruschetta or eat them as is with some fish or other protein.

I giving cooking lessons focusing on balanced eating if you're interested.
After all, we are what we eat!

NOLAchef said:
I prefer to cook a big batch of lentils or beans as well as brown rice at the beginning of the week. I munch on them throughout the week and make salads for lunch. If we have an asado I like to throw on a ton of veggies and (red peppers, zapallitos, butternut squash, onions, potatoes) and keep them in the fridge for anything and everything. i love having them around bc you can throw them in some pasta with a little olive oil and cheese or have then on some toast like bruschetta or eat them as is with some fish or other protein.

I giving cooking lessons focusing on balanced eating if you're interested.
After all, we are what we eat!

how much are these lessons?

I can't cook a thing - but I am an expert at eating :) All I can say is I had my first Asado a few days ago and it was awesome... Apart from that my lady cooks the most amazing empanadas on earth - I had them again today - although tonight I think its going to be Milanese, more malbec, some of the local otard depuis cognac to drink and probably some sort of sweet with dulce de lece in it... Works for me :) Ah - its a hard life :)

Argentina's most well known websites for cooking recipes are utilisima and el gourmet. Both also have tv channels.

I think I cook nearly more here than I ever did at home. Usual reason: miss some of the more exotic food I just go out and buy, but also: great access to fresh & cheap produce. Complain as many do, if you don't do all your shopping at mass supermarkets or chinos, the fruit & veggies are incredible. (unfortunately, better access in less touristic/expensive barrios ie not prime Palermo or Recoleta, due no doubt to cost of retail space & low margins). I realize the stuff I can make is often better than what I'd buy at home (other than in very nice restaurants). I also rely so much less on pre-made sauces and spice mixes - and need them less since the veggies and such have great flavour & need less dressing up. I like Mediterranean style food a lot and though they do not do it much here, they have most of the ingredients to do it well yourself!

Things I make often: warm salads (potatos, green beens, poached eggs, dijon dressing); fresh salads (often with a cut up chicken breast milanesa cooked myself, bought pre-made at a chicken vendor); gaspacho; hummus; pasta with veggies sauteed in balsamic; pasta with fresh arrabiata sauce; pad thai; lentil soup w/ ginger, cilantro; supermarket OR pasta shop ravioli or tortellini w/ caseros or supermarket sauce (the ones in the pouches are shockingly good); arroz con pollo; glass noodles w/ thai sweet chilli sauce etc; order in ceviche (haven't tried to make it); morrocan-style couscous stew; random stirfries w/ plenty of ginger, garlic, spring onion. Pho soups in the winter.

Hope that helps. I do make other things but those are the most frequent.

slightly off topic, and hoping it doesn't sound pretentious, but my work situation doesn't allow me real time to cook, clean etc. and so I have a live in maid monday-friday. the problem is she's a worse cook than I am. anyone ever taken or know of cooking classes in spanish where she could learn to make something more than milanesas?

I have been thinking about how to get together with other Palermo residents once in a while to cook and eat a more interesting meal than I would usually cook for myself since I moved here a few months ago.

If there are a bunch of people who would be interested in getting together to cook and learn to cook various dishes, let's get together and do it.

Those of us who know how to prepare an interesting dish can show someone else how to do it. Its one thing to read or watch a video on how to stir fry, but its another to play around with the temperature and timing while someone looks over your should to prevent you from overcooking the food.

I can offer to show people how to cook various Japanese, Indian and maybe Korean meals. I am thinking of the kind of meals prepared in a Japanese temple, or French home, rather than a restaurant. I'd like to learn how to prepare a Thai dish, a Cambodian dish, and so on.

last night I followed a recipe for a Quinoa/Sweet Potato stuffing, I used calabaza and some different vegetables, it was fantastic. It only took 20 minutes as well-
http://www.fitsugar.com/Quinoa-Sweet-Potato-Stuffing-775334

I do a lot of stirfrys as well. Get some sauces from one of the markets in Chinatown, then toss the sauce in a pan with a thinly sliced steak and vegetables. Yum.

Back