What Do You Miss The Least From Home? (Ba Cast Survey)

I don't miss an easy and problem free life where everything works as it is supposed to. (I love the completely desorganised life in Argentina)

I agree with this... I don't miss how boring and predictable life in the United States is... so many puritanical rules makes like very routine and boring. I like the anarchy and unruliness here in Argentina. It makes life so much more random and fun....

Thanks everybody for their contributions. We'll include them on our next show. I've got a question for Holden and other people who said the same: what do you mean by puritanical rules that make life boring? Could you develop and/or give an example please? Is it the lack of spontaneity that lucha54 mentions one of those things?

Sure I can elaborate... in the US I would go out to a lounge (bars and clubs are going out of style back in the US), sit at a table with my friends, interact with no one new, go home and be hungover and not have any fun. Very predictable evening and a waste of money. Here in Argentina, the mega-club concept still exists... here you go out on a Friday night and maybe the boliche you planned on going to is closed for some random, unknown reason and you find yourself outside the club with a bunch of other people who wanted to go to that club but can't so you all get together to another bar down the street and you make a bunch of new friends. Nights of "random fun" like this happen all the time to me in Argentina, but rarely anymore in the US... I never know how my night out is going to end up in Buenos Aires and that's the way I like it!

Going to the US is a big gamble: if you have a heart attack, stroke or are hit by a car and you're uninsured you could lose everything.

It seems like most of the answers here are posted by those from the US…I'm curious about what expats don't miss from other countries!

I don't miss that most of our politicians in the US are complete idiots. They even seem to want to appear as stupid as possible so they can appeal to the broadest range of people possible. As depressing as they are, Argentine politics are at least a little more entertaining, and not quite as terrifying.

Morons that ask me questions like what's the difference between Latin America, South America and Central America. And my brother trying to convince me of the superiority of living in a rainy suburb in Seattle rather than Buenos Aires.

I don't miss the small town mentality of my home country (New Zealand) or the "beer and rugby" culture. I always wanted to go out dancing, had to get my girl friends drunk to get them on the dance floor and not even that would work with the guys. (I ended up marrying and Argentine dance teacher!!) :)

Hey, we used many of these answers in our latest episode. Thanks very much again and here's the link to the show for those who want to listen.

http://bacast.com/s4-e32-worldcupeando/

Back