What Do You Use When Going Over The Border, Dni Or Passport?

When travelling over the border by road or boat do you use?

• Foreign Passport

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • DNI extranjero

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I use Nothing, I swim/dig a tunnel/scale the fence or wall.

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
You know, that's not so crazy either - one time when the situation changed for my sister-in-law related to her change in status and we weren't aware of it, we attempted to cross into Paraguay at Clorinda. We'd driven some 15 hours straight, it was late afternoon (we left in the wee hours) and they absolutely would not let us cross because she didn't have the papers to leave Argentina to go to her home country (she had them to leave her country). We were in a panic - couldn't imagine just turning around and going home to BA.

We met a guy who swore he could do exactly that - cross with her in the backseat of a remis with tinted windows during siesta. We ended up not going that route (got her parents to come to Asuncion from Horqueta) but it was sure tempting...

Granted that wasn't going into Brasil, but still.

Only for Argentine nationals, its not enough for a Foreign national with an Argentine ID (DNI) to get into Brazil, Paraguay, Chile,etc. Uruguay is ok. According to official statements online anyway.
A couple of weeks ago I checked at the Chilean border with both the Argentinian Migraciones and the Chilean PDI and both told me that once I have my DNI then I am supposed to use the DNI and not the passport when traveling to/from Chile.

Back