What Do You Wish You Had Brought Or Left Behind?

Cotton t-shirts, plain, no tags. I could never find proper cotton here. I bought bulk Fruit-of-the-Looms last time I was up north.

Earl Grey. The national brands they call Earl Grey here are criminal. Awful, putrid rubbish.

If you plan to cook, teflon pans are 3rd rate. You can find T-Fal, but most often defective. Good non-stick (German - Woll) costs ~$6k pesos on mercadolibre, 'imported' with a hefty mark-up ( as a 28cm cost me around 75 euros in Germany). As mentioned, culinary knives are way too expensive here.

A lot of electronics among other things here are knock-offs. Things like Fenix tactical flashlights (and batteries), Bose speakers, Rayban sunglasses proliferate not only mercadolibre but mainstream stores as well. Figure out what PARTS might need replacing because even finding replacement parts for stuff that gets sold HERE is almost imposible to find. (My experience with Bose headphone replacement ear pads... long and fruitless even at authorized Bose seller).

Argentina gets a lot of stuff imported from China (so what? so does the US) except that it seems that the (really really crappy) stuff that no one wants to take in the developed world gets shipped here. If you have kids, plastic toys are better purchased elsewhere because some of that Chinese plastic is really unstable, noxious, toxins.

A good solid deadbolt lock with plenty of spares. Something that nobody here will have a key copy to ;) .

I'd like to say your favorite pepperoni, but it won't get past the border. No pepperoni here like you remember IMHO.

other than heavy furniture, fridge and a Blendtec Blender, everything i own in my deptt in bA is from US/UK

If you like peanut butter, don't forget to bring a truckload. The only one I have found here is loaded with sugar.

In no order...
Sheets!!!!
Towels
Pillows
Spices like dill, cinnamon
Cotton underwear and socks
Kitchen knives and pans
Maple syrup
Good peanut butter
Interesting salad dressing flavors
Cashews and pecans
Chocolate chips
Baking powder
Sanity
Positive attitude
Resilience

i guess you or your closed ones will travel to USA at least once a year. If you do a sport activity or a hobby, it is most likely you have access to a variety of items and quality in the USA, as the market is bigger. Medicines and vitamins, better ask in advance, as well as toiletry and parfumery.

Not sure how many new jackets you may need in one year, I agree about the price /quality relationship specifically in underwear, socks, sneakers. People tend to get homesick, someone with food, other with clothing, drinks, paper books, or music. About bedding, the size of the beds may be slight confusing between usa and argentina, for instance a "cama matrimonial" is 1.40 by 2 meters, and the height of the mattress usually is around 15 cm.

There is a store in Miami that sells brand new electronics and appliances at usa prices, with the voltage needed for south america, I dont remember the name rightnow. I suggest a good crock pot and a vacuum device, as the utilities are increasing, and food here is seasonal. Again, it depends in your style of life. To have an idea, here is very usual to wash and use again ziploc bags.

You can travel to neighbour countries, as chile or uruguay and also buy some electronics, etc once you are settled down in argentina, in average the prices are in between the usa and here, as well as the availability of latest models.

What a conundrum what to do ?? presume you own all your appliances and electronics and many may not be suitable for 220 V ?
  • Buy new appliances from a Miami Vendor 220 V . Give away the old ones.. :eek: A full time job must consolidate shipments with your household effects container and remove all tags and manuals to look as USED.
  • Buy Transformers various Sizes in USA
  • Buy Transformers Here...$$$$

Since I'm all about missing food, can't believe I forgot...

Pancake mix, jumbo sized (since the flour is totally different in Argentina)

High quality ground coffee

Back