What Do You Wish You Had Brought Or Left Behind?

In no order...
Sheets!!!!
Towels
Pillows
Spices like dill, cinnamon
Cotton underwear and socks
Kitchen knives and pans
Maple syrup
Good peanut butter
Interesting salad dressing flavors
Cashews and pecans
Chocolate chips
Baking powder
Sanity
Positive attitude
Resilience

Apart from the nuts I agree with all of that especially the last three on the list. :D My Argentine wife says bras brought in the UK are much more comfortable and she can't stand ones bought here. I've never bought socks,boxers,sleepwear here due to the poor quality and strange sizes. It's now got to the stage we rarely buy any clothing here including shoes. I miss my favourite pipe tobacco which isn't available and even if it was it would be extortionate to buy. The maple syrup is a good one to bring lots of. I looked on Mercado Libre and found someone was selling it a ridiculous price.
In some ways I have adapted over the nine years I've lived here but there are still a few things I just have to have or I'd end up going crazy. Still want the hell out of it though. :D

What a conundrum what to do ?? presume you own all your appliances and electronics and many may not be suitable for 220 V ?
  • Buy new appliances from a Miami Vendor 220 V . Give away the old ones.. :eek: A full time job must consolidate shipments with your household effects container and remove all tags and manuals to look as USED.
  • Buy Transformers various Sizes in USA
  • Buy Transformers Here...$$$$

Before you buy any major appliances (especially a TV), be sure check with the shipping company to see if you need to furnish receipts for their original purchase. I think theses items must be at least six months old in order to be "imported" duty free as a temporary resident. LED TV's here are very expensive to those sold in the USA and usually aren't the latest models. If you still have the box for your TV it will be best to use it for the shipment.

If you don't have a smart TV you can buy a "TV box" to convert it to a smart TV. They're available here but at about double the price. I like the style that plugs directly into the TV using an HDMI connection (without cables). I also use an "ezcast" device to "cast" the screen image of my smart phone to my TV and use the phone as a remote control.
emo32.gif

PS: The smart TV sticks and ezcast devices are available on ebay at great prices and are shipped directly from China at a very low (or no) charge for the shipping.

Before you buy any major appliances (especially a TV), be sure check with the shipping company to see if you need to furnish receipts for their original purchase. I think theses items must be at least six months old in order to be "imported" duty free as a temporary resident. LED TV's here are very expensive to those sold in the USA and usually aren't the latest models. If you still have the box for your TV it will be best to use it for the shipment.

If you don't have a smart TV you can buy a "TV box" to convert it to a smart TV. They're available here but at about double the price. I like the style that looks like a pen drive and plugs directly into the TV using an HDMI connection (without cables) I also use an "ezcast" device to "cast" the screen image of my smart phone to my TV and use the phone as a remote control.

Also, (as far as I know) keep in mind that you'll have to post a bond for the items you bring into Argentina duty free and, unless you become permanent residents, you'll have to take it all back with you when you leave...or pay the Aduana "import duty" of about 50% on any items left behind (probably before they authorize the "exportation" of your stuff and/or refund the bond).

PS: So, unless someone can contradict what I posted above, don't sell or give away anything that is in the inventory of the container shipment and don't throw away anything that is broken while you are here.

PS2: And don't bring stuff for anyone who asks to "share" space in your container (as a few here have). You would have to pay the duty on those items when you leave.
emo32.gif

Part of it all is that this is not [your place of origin]. Things are different and you cannot expect to have the same pancakes, but you can get good at either immersing yourself in your new [interim] home or learn how to do things more basically - from scratch.

There is plenty of culture shock that goes along with living here, and in the current economy it's even more confusing. You may curse the day you set foot off the plane or embrace it for what it is. I think that your packing list should contain things that are primarily health and/or safety oriented, then really consider what you cannot live without comfort-wise. I certainly would not sacrifice luggage space for pancake mix, but that just me (sorry mmoon). Either way, as the box gets closer to being empty - you will have to deal with you're outlook on what IS and what you WISH for.

There's no Ikea, no Cosco, Best Buy or Home Hardware; the local variant is sadly lacking and getting 'similar to' or imported items is really expensive even with dollars. Try to think "GENERIC" and you get a feel for what it's like to be here. Even Coke by Cocacola will taste different here.

There is coffee here, and machines to make it with. It all depends on how well you can adapt to change. Perhaps you'll like the local stuff better or find something that you can live with. One thing is for sure: your luggage space is finite so search the forum archives and take to heart all the bits of experiences you can glean from us (especially us lifers).

Somehow people have been able to live here without pancake mix. Every other Sunday I make them with what's available... go figure.

OR you can stay plastered the whole time and not care one iota. great idea mc kenna! ;)

Back