What Do You Wish You Had Brought Or Left Behind?

Its true that the local equivalent of mass produced, lowest quality lowest price point giant stores are cruddy. Easy and Jumbo are pale imitations of a real Walmart.

But the best stuff in Argentina, in any category, is always found in small, locally owned, family businesses.
I buy handmade shoes, hair brushes, carving tools, knives, frying pans, clothing, belts, furniture, and dozens of other things from family companies that have been in business for generations- something that is pretty much impossible in the USA, and rarer and rarer in europe, but common in Argentina.

Eat Local.
Buy Local.

its a waste of time to attempt to find a place that sells chinese products by the boatload for the same prices as in the USA or europe. the buying power of Argentina is way to small.

Buy Local.

its a waste of time to attempt to find a place that sells chinese products by the boatload for the same prices as in the USA or europe. the buying power of Argentina is way to small.

Very true...!!! I hear that in expat pages in Mexico and Tuscany they complain about lack of peanut butter and good burgers..??

Pass the Dulce de Leche...!

When the OP asked about what you wished you left or brought with you to BA, I think of course the answers are going to vary from person to person. We all have different priorities. With the exception of a smart phone and basic laptop, I would never plan to bring electronics here, but I don't care about futbol para todos in ultra HD. While I subscribe to the buy local philosophy, the truth is the most of the decent kitchenware I've found in BA is from Europe. As many have stated, the quality of clothing, bedding, appliances, etc that are made in Argentina are overwhelmingly expensive and low quality.
Having moved to BA with a young child, one of the things we missed the most, especially at first, were the flavors of home. Viva dulce de leche and all that, but sometimes you want some Annie's Gingerly Vinegarette salad dressing or Ghiradelli Intense Mint chocolate when you're missing the familiar. On the occasions when I pulled out that special, admittedly cheesy pancake mix, for whatever reason it helped us all with the pangs of homesickness a little. Maybe it's just my family, but food is home, and just because we are on the other side of the planet doesn't mean those familiar flavors don't have valuable meaning. It doesn't mean you aren't moving forward in your adopted new home, and appreciating what it has to offer. Maybe the OP only cares about 1000 thread count linens. It's all relative. Happy to sacrifice my luggage space for a food stockpile anyday!

But pancake mix? I will never understand that. And if those mix pancakes are topped with Aunt Jemima, ugh. Aunt Jemima is corn syrup, not maple syrup (which is one thing I will bring back from Canada and either down it in a couple of weeks or attempt to savour it until the next trip...)

Pancakes are some of the easiest things to make. I personally prefer crepes, which I make pretty much every sunday, though sometimes will make a double batch and then freeze them so that I get a sunday "off". And I like mine with lemon and sugar, or fresh fruit, anything but dulce de leche.

This question all depends on how long you have been here and how long you will most likely stay.After the first 10 or 15 years you don't really miss anything very much and you do begin to live more locally.You accquire a taste for local foods and a few clothing products.In my case I got very used to the porteño banter (el chichoneo) and sense of humor plus the" cafecito y comida con amigos".I miss these things when I'm back in NYC.
I like to repeat the words of an Italian friend of mine here who said," When i take the plane to Italy,I'm happy because I'm going home.and when I take the fight back to BA,I'm happy too because I'm going home".If you stay here long enough,you will probably feel the same.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The gist I am getting is to bring quality linens, cookware, ziplocks and any comfort foods we will desire once homesickness kicks in; although McKenna's idea looks spot on. Steveinbsas, thanks for the advice on a tv stick, my husband is already twitching at the thought that he might miss a Packers game ; )

Of course pancakes are very easy to make. The issue is the flour, as the flour in Argentina is different than in the US, so the flavor and consistency of baked goods are different, no matter what flour you try. Forget the mix and bring the flour if you want. Or don't. Bring your fancy tennis shoes, fruit of the loom tshirts and latest iPad. Whatever floats your individual boat. Jeez expat people, does every answer have to get so dramatic? No one I know uses that Aunt Jemima junk.

It's also called a "dongle" and it looks like this:

I've never used one of these but i have used a chromecast before. Its ok but to be honest the best thing to get is a small android box. We're using a fire tv which i've sideloaded a few android apps onto. Kodi being the most important one.

Agree with ejcot, the amazon fire stick is better than the chromecast. I have both and the firestick can also have Kodi downloaded to it or you can buy them on ebay already done whereas the chromecast has to be used with your phone or tablet. Ialso have the Roku dongle and can also add channels to it but not Kodi.

I may not know of the right channels but I don't think he will get the Packers games using these devices unless paying for something like the NFL Gamepass or similar.

Thanks to hannstew and ejcot. I bought the ezcast first and I bought this android tv box last week:

It looks like Kodi can be downloaded to it, so that's the next step. I would love to say chau forever to DirecTV.

Back