What exactly is El Dia de la Mujer?

ElLatingo

Registered
Recently, I saw a banner on the stall of an outdoor flower vendor proclaiming March 8th "El Dia de la Mujer."

Using (the) Google I found a site from the Argentine government that states: Se celebra cada 8 de marzo y conmemora la lucha de la mujer por su participación en la sociedad, la política y en su desarrollo íntegro como persona. Habrá varios homenajes a mujeres argentinas destacadas.

Without sounding cynical, is this a Hallmark holiday (i.e., do you get chocolates and flowers for the women in your life here) or is it a more serious occasion?

Everything here is a "Hallmark holiday".

It's The Day of the Woman!... of course.

So whether the woman is attached or single, she is still to be fêted on that day.

Just like "Day of the Child", "Day of the Friend", "Day of the Translator", "Day of the Students", "Day of the Computer Programmers"...

It is a day set aside to celebrate Women. Only since they make up more than 50% of the population, it's a pretty big f***ing deal!!

You are not required to celebrate the woman on that day, but you get more positive feedback if you do.

Vivan las chicas!!!

Thanks @Napoleon.

The banner on the flower kiosk should've been a telltale sign, but just wanted to make sure.

Delfina said:
When they do something to deserve it :D

No wonder past girlfriends have always told me...

"Hoy! Es Dia del Hombre... OTRA VEZ!!" :eek:

Well, since it is on March 8, it better be the day that my wife's immigrant visa is finally approved. So I guess we'll see if the US Embassy follows Dia de la Mujer here.

Whingeing is a major sport among 'expats' in Argentina, it seems...even an international event gets criticised only for being observed in Argentina. If no one in Argentina would celebrate it there would be also a similar post to this one criticising the primitive Argentines for not observing it...en fin, the Gata Flora is not necessarily Argentine!

Back