What happened to me 90 day renewal!!

Kevwillhunting

Registered
On Monday morning I went to Uruguay for 3 days and 3 nights (to get my 90 day tourist stamp). On Thursday morning (coming back from Uruguay at 4:30 am) the lady at the customs desk stamped my passport and wrote the 20/03/11 (I already had that date in my passport as I went to the migrations office in December) I asked her about the date and said isn't it supposed to be 90 days (not 10 days, that I already had) so in response she said no I have to go to the migrations office and get an extended 90 tourist visa. Are they allowed to do this?

Another question (I hate to be a pain)! If I don't renew it (I know there is a 300 pesos penalty) does it keep going up every 3 months e.g. 3 months I have to pay an extra 300 pesos and then in 6 months and extra 600 pesos. could someone please give me some advice.

Thank you in advance.

Kevin

I'm not an expert, but I've read on here in the past that if you've had a 90-day extension at migraciones, then that's all your stay is valid for if you leave and return to Argentina before the 90 days is up. If you'd been in Uruguay on the 20th, and returned after, you'd have another 90 days, but as you returned before that date, the renewal you already had overrides that.

And the fine for overstaying doesn't go up, no. It's 300 pesos whether you overstay by one day or five years.

Kevwillhunting said:
Another question (I hate to be a pain)! If I don't renew it (I know there is a 300 pesos penalty) does it keep going up every 3 months e.g. 3 months I have to pay an extra 300 pesos and then in 6 months and extra 600 pesos. could someone please give me some advice.

No, it doesn't matter how long you overstay. The fine will still be $300 pesos (unless they increase it again).

Kevwillhunting said:
On Monday morning I went to Uruguay for 3 days and 3 nights (to get my 90 day tourist stamp). On Thursday morning (coming back from Uruguay at 4:30 am) the lady at the customs desk stamped my passport and wrote the 20/03/11 (I already had that date in my passport as I went to the migrations office in December) I asked her about the date and said isn't it supposed to be 90 days (not 10 days, that I already had) so in response she said no I have to go to the migrations office and get an extended 90 tourist visa. Are they allowed to do this?

If you did not get an ultima prorroga at migraciones in December you probably will if you go back there for another extension before March 20. Some expats say they have several, but they also have traveled well beyond Uruguay (leaving from and returning through EZE) before receiving their next 90 day visa.

Kevwillhunting said:
On Monday morning I went to Uruguay for 3 days and 3 nights (to get my 90 day tourist stamp). On Thursday morning (coming back from Uruguay at 4:30 am) the lady at the customs desk stamped my passport and wrote the 20/03/11 (I already had that date in my passport as I went to the migrations office in December)
Nothing can override the date of a prórroga. If you return from Africa, Asia, Australia, anywhere, ... before that date has expired, you'll only get what is left of time, even on the last day.

Several posts in different threads state this.

You got effing screwed!

I went to Montevideo partly to avoid any screwage. I did this time, but who knows about the future?

John.St said:
Nothing can override the date of a prórroga. If you return from Africa, Asia, Australia, anywhere, ... before that date has expired, you'll only get what is left of time, even on the last day.

Several posts in different threads state this.
Same thing happened to me on a UK visa. I had only seven days left on it but had to enter the UK for a family emergency. I then had to leave the country seven days later and come back in, which was not easy. (Immigration was not happy.) Dates on your visa are dates; can't be changed.

Thanks for all the replies, I thing I am not going to renew it and hope my boss will sort out a work visa for me.

Kev

Back