What happens to a permanent residency when you leave for good?

Just curious if anyone actually knows anyone who lost their DNI by not returning every two years. Or if there this is actually published or written anywhere? I have heard this from other expats and immigration agents, but have yet to hear of it being enforced or documented.

My daughter just flew back and had no problems with the airlines taking her dni after being out of the country for more than 2 years. My wife who is an Argentine citizen went to immigrations last week to see if I and my daughter were still permanent residents and they said yes and she said they acted like she asked a stupid question . I guess they do not enforce the 2 year rule. I wanted to know as I want to do a duty free shipment when I return

My daughter just flew back and had no problems with the airlines taking her dni after being out of the country for more than 2 years. My wife who is an Argentine citizen went to immigrations last week to see if I and my daughter were still permanent residents and they said yes and she said they acted like she asked a stupid question . I guess they do not enforce the 2 year rule. I wanted to know as I want to do a duty free shipment when I return
With all my respect, you didn't understand. Your daughter is an argentina as soon as your wife is Argentine. This is why her PR never expires.

With all my respect, you didn't understand. Your daughter is an argentina as soon as your wife is Argentine. This is why her PR never expires.
I have a question: a friend is a naturalized Argentinian (she received the nationality from her Argentinian father), but it seems that her child (not born in Argentina) isn't automatically an Argentinian citizen, is this correct?

And what about oldgringo? If I understand corrtectly, he has Permanent Residency based on being married to an Argentine, so the question remains:

Would his PR "technically" expire as a result of being out of the country for more than two years (regardless of what his wife was told at migraciones)?

Bajo, you should know the answer to my question: where is the law, decree, etc. that says you have to return every two years?

La DIRECCIÓN NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES podrá cancelar la residencia que hubiese otorgado, cualquiera fuese su antigüedad, categoría o causa de la admisión, y dispondrá la posterior expulsión, cuando:
d) El beneficiario de una radicación permanente hubiese permanecido fuera del territorio nacional por un período superior a los DOS (2) años o la mitad del plazo acordado, si se tratara de residencia temporaria, excepto que la ausencia obedeciere al ejercicio de una función pública argentina o se hubiese generado en razón de actividades, estudios o investigaciones que a juicio de la DIRECCIÓN NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES pudieran ser de interés o beneficiosa para la REPÚBLICA ARGENTINA o que mediara autorización expresa de la autoridad migratoria la que podrá ser solicitada por intermedio de las autoridades consulares argentinas;

La DIRECCIÓN NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES podrá cancelar la residencia que hubiese otorgado, cualquiera fuese su antigüedad, categoría o causa de la admisión, y dispondrá la posterior expulsión, cuando:
d) El beneficiario de una radicación permanente hubiese permanecido fuera del territorio nacional por un período superior a los DOS (2) años o la mitad del plazo acordado, si se tratara de residencia temporaria, excepto que la ausencia obedeciere al ejercicio de una función pública argentina o se hubiese generado en razón de actividades, estudios o investigaciones que a juicio de la DIRECCIÓN NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES pudieran ser de interés o beneficiosa para la REPÚBLICA ARGENTINA o que mediara autorización expresa de la autoridad migratoria la que podrá ser solicitada por intermedio de las autoridades consulares argentinas;

Thanks DSP!

I have a question: a friend is a naturalized Argentinian (she received the nationality from her Argentinian father), but it seems that her child (not born in Argentina) isn't automatically an Argentinian citizen, is this correct?
If you are a native american who born in the jungle of Chaco, you probably do not have birth certificate neither DNI. However you are argentine in posesion of status lacking the formal evidence of the DNI. You do not need to get citizenship by naturalization because you got it by ius soli. The same situation was hers and her baby but by ius sanguinis. They are argentines automatically but it is optional to ask the evicende of that status. She didn´t get citizenship by naturalization, here you are confused, she used the right of option (free will) of nationality.
So, the only thing she has to do with her baby is the registration of the birth at the AR records at the AR Embassy and get the DNI. It is called opcion de nacionalidad.

And what about oldgringo? If I understand corrtectly, he has Permanent Residency based on being married to an Argentine, so the question remains:

Would his PR "technically" expire as a result of being out of the country for more than two years (regardless of what his wife was told at migraciones)?
Why the answer should be different?. As soon as he continue being married and continue living with his wife, PR does not expires.It is known as the principle of family nationality unity.

Back