What happens to a permanent residency when you leave for good?

Yes you must come back once every two years. Has anyone done this - returned after a long absence like that? What was the reaction of migraciones?

I was curios about the same thing. From what I understand, you must return to Argentina every six months in order not to lose your permanency status. Can anyone verify this?

I was curios about the same thing. From what I understand, you must return to Argentina every six months in order not to lose your permanency status. Can anyone verify this?

Returning every six months to maintain permanent residency is NOT required. The correct (or at least most popular) answer is once every two years.

Returning every six months to maintain permanent residency is NOT required. The correct (or at least most popular) answer is once every two years.

Steve, do you know where I can find a written copy? Thanks.

I wonder if it (returning) once every two years is really an issue regarding permanent residency. I have a DNI that is valid for 15 years. If I ever leave for more than two years I probably won't be returning, but I am confident that returning once every six months to maintain permanent residency is not required.

I have read that temporary residents must stay in Argentina for at least six months of the year in which their residency is valid or it will not be renewed. That's the only "six month" condition that know of.

I thought it was every two years as well. At least for permanent residents. Last night I spent Xmas with my family and my cousin is an escribano and he told me that a permanent resident must return every six months. I don't want to doubt his knowledge, but I thought it would be a good idea to confirm that with someone who specializes in immigration....where is Bajo_cero when we need him? LOL.

On page #1 of this thread.

I did look at page one before posting, but I was trying to look for the article or law that actually states that visiting Argentina every two years is enough to retain permanent residency. You would think it would be in the migraciones website.

Hi all!
I have an immigration question. I am a permanent resident. But, I'm leaving Argentina for good next week. What happens with my residency? I heard someone say that if you come at least once every 2 years it will stay vigente. Any advice on the matter? I probably won't be living here again and have no desire to go to immigrations to ask about this, and there site doesn't seem to address it.

Thanks!

Just bail you will have to two years to sort it all out allot can change in two years. Best of luck in your new direction! :)

No, I clarify it.

Once you have the 2 years of living in Argentina (nobody cares your legal status) you can apply for citizenship. If you leave the country for long time and you come back to live here again, then you already have the 2 years.

Once you are Argentine, that´s it. You can leave for 99 years and you still are Argentine because to have a citizenship is a right.

Regards

Does the law not stipulate conditions to lose even naturalized citizenship over a given period of time?

Not sure but I seem to recall having seen that the one time I actually read the law.

Back