What happens to a permanent residency when you leave for good?

I found this old thread as I am planning to return in November . Do to the pandemic I was in the states over 2 years and it says my permanent residence will be revoked and if that is the case I could not even enter the country even if my wife is argentine. Does anybody have any current info or experience on this . Thanks for any help you can give
No, for over a year the time was freeze. However, check it up at the DNM website because there are special rules for people in your situation.

Reading on from the passage quoted by niaruccia, "El Ministerio del Interior dispensará el cumplimiento de la cancelación prevista en virtud del presente artículo cuando el extranjero fuese padre, hijo o cónyuge de argentino, salvo decisión debidamente fundada por parte de la autoridad migratoria."

So it sounds like one can be relatively assured of retaining residency if a parent, child, or spouse is Argentine. What difficulties might be involved in going through the process of restoring validity to the DNI is left to the imagination.
Here is a common confusión. There are 2 expirations dates at the DNI. One is for legal residency that is not enforced if you have native family. The other is the expiration date of 10 years that is enforced to everybody in AR soil. If you were abroad, expiration is not valid until you are back.

Thanks Mercy We are trying to contact the embassy in Washington to see what they say. I sure don't want to get there and have any more problems than we are already going to have

I wonder if it (returning) once every two years is really an issue regarding permanent residency. I have a DNI that is valid for 15 years. If I ever leave for more than two years I probably won't be returning, but I am confident that returning once every six months to maintain permanent residency is not required.

I have read that temporary residents must stay in Argentina for at least six months of the year in which their residency is valid or it will not be renewed. That's the only "six month" condition that know of.

Things are often ambiguous in Argentina. An immigration lawyer confirmed to me that a PR must return once every two years to keep PR however he said it may depend on the immigration official who might just ignore an overstay.

Things are often ambiguous in Argentina. An immigration lawyer confirmed to me that a PR must return once every two years to keep PR however he said it may depend on the immigration official who might just ignore an overstay.
This is because it is a Federal country where you have coexisting dual legal system province/nation and nation/federal that is International Private law.
The issue with LR is it is unconstitutional and it makes no sense in the XXI century because it is a medieval passport. Just google passport (gate pass) history.

I found this old thread as I am planning to return in November . Do to the pandemic I was in the states over 2 years and it says my permanent residence will be revoked and if that is the case I could not even enter the country even if my wife is argentine. Does anybody have any current info or experience on this . Thanks for any help you can give

I asked an immigration lawyer about this a few months ago. At that time he said that the immigration authorities had NOT extended the two years due to the pandemic. If this has changed I am not aware of it. As to whether you will be admitted, if your DNI has an expiration date beyond the date of your return it will probably be up to the immigration official at Ezeiza. He may let you in. It's not likely that the airline check in people will know anything about Argentine immigration law, especially if you are leaving anywhere but Miami (and I doubt they'd know anything there - they'll probably just check the expiration of your DNI, if that). Before leaving I would check with a competent immigration lawyer in Argentina - an IMMIGRATION lawyer, not just any lawyer.

Here is a common confusión. There are 2 expirations dates at the DNI. One is for legal residency that is not enforced if you have native family. The other is the expiration date of 10 years that is enforced to everybody in AR soil. If you were abroad, expiration is not valid until you are back.

I was granted permenant residency in 2012 and I had the booklet version of the DNI until I got the "nueva tarjeta" of the DNI in 2014. The expiration date is in the year 2029, fifteen years from the date of issue. Could this have been the result of a "typo" when the card was being prepared?

I was granted permenant residency in 2012 and I had the booklet version of the DNI until I got the "nueva tarjeta" of the DNI in 2014. The expiration date is in the year 2029, fifteen years from the date of issue. Could this have been the result of a "typo" when the card was being prepared?
I know a Peruvian who achieved permanent residency in 2017 and the date on her subsequent DNI was/is also 15 years into the future.

Back