What happens to a permanent residency when you leave for good?

You might have seen an unamended version of the law. My understanding in naturalized citizenship is forever unless you obtained under false pretenses. Apparently, you can't even renounce under the law. Of course, we'll let Bajo be the judge here. :)

Does the law not stipulate conditions to lose even naturalized citizenship over a given period of time?

Not sure but I seem to recall having seen that the one time I actually read the law.

You might have seen an unamended version of the law. My understanding in naturalized citizenship is forever unless you obtained under false pretenses. Apparently, you can't even renounce under the law. Of course, we'll let Bajo be the judge here. :)

...You can lose permanent residence but you cannot lose citizenship. If there is a war between your homeland and Argentina, if you are a resident you lose all your assets and you go to a concentration camp. If you are a citizen you are Argentinian for Argentina and you are a national for your country. Neither Argentina neither your country recognizes the second citizenship in its territory. This is specially true with British. I don´t know if Britain accepts to have double citizenship with Argentina. During WWII Argentina declared war to Germany when the war was almost won, Merck Industries was expropriated.

If you condemned in criminal case,
1) Over 3 years you go to jail, at 50% of you condemn there are 2 possible scenarios: a) You are a citizen, so you have the right to recover partially liberty if you had good behavior. (You can be free during the day and you go to sleep to the jail). At 66% or your condemn you might be free full time.

If you are a resident, at 50% you can chose to be deported or you are deported. But you lose your residence status.

2) Less than 3 years you might not go to jail. Having permanent residence you loose it. Being Argentinian you go home.

You don´t lose citizenship. My father was born in Chile. He became Argentinian but he was living in Sweden the last 20 years. Now he is Swedish too.
With residence you must be here once every two years if I am not wrong.

I don´t know if Britain accepts to have double citizenship with Argentina.

My children have Argentine and British passports, and dual citizenship. They enter both countries as nationals of that country. Whilst my kids are in Argentina, they are Argentine and the UK embassy can't and won't help them.

Thanks Bajo. you rock. My cousin was incorrect if I understand the following article: you must re-enter Argentina at least every two years to retain permanent residency.

c) El beneficiario de una radicación permanente hubiese permanecido fuera del Territorio
Nacional por un período superior a los dos (2) años o la mitad del plazo acordado, si se
tratara de residencia temporaria, excepto que la ausencia obedeciere al ejercicio de una
función pública argentina o se hubiese generado en razón de actividades, estudios o investigaciones
que a juicio de la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones pudieran ser de interés
o beneficiosa para la República Argentina o que mediara autorización expresa de la autoridad
migratoria la que podrá ser solicitada por intermedio de las autoridades consulares
argentinas;

I found this old thread as I am planning to return in November . Do to the pandemic I was in the states over 2 years and it says my permanent residence will be revoked and if that is the case I could not even enter the country even if my wife is argentine. Does anybody have any current info or experience on this . Thanks for any help you can give

My children have Argentine and British passports, and dual citizenship. They enter both countries as nationals of that country. Whilst my kids are in Argentina, they are Argentine and the UK embassy can't and won't help them.
The whole idea of the Consul helping someone is nowadays an anachronism, Expat means that in foreign land you are under the jurisdiction of your Consul who is your judge who enforce the law of your homeland in a foreign country. This system was developed when the world was divided by religions in the Medieval Age and abandoned completely about 100 years ago.
In Argentina it was replaced by Federal Courts that is how we call Internationals Courts where local judges enforce international private law (status law).

Last edited:
I found this old thread as I am planning to return in November . Do to the pandemic I was in the states over 2 years and it says my permanent residence will be revoked and if that is the case I could not even enter the country even if my wife is argentine. Does anybody have any current info or experience on this . Thanks for any help you can give

Reading on from the passage quoted by niaruccia, "El Ministerio del Interior dispensará el cumplimiento de la cancelación prevista en virtud del presente artículo cuando el extranjero fuese padre, hijo o cónyuge de argentino, salvo decisión debidamente fundada por parte de la autoridad migratoria."

So it sounds like one can be relatively assured of retaining residency if a parent, child, or spouse is Argentine. What difficulties might be involved in going through the process of restoring validity to the DNI is left to the imagination.

Back