What happens to a permanent residency when you leave for good?

Because Migraciones are idiots. They never sent my tramite to Renaper for the DNI although it's been two months since the case was resolved. I now need to travel to Brasil in November. I now usually I can enter with a copy of the Disposicion but am worried I'd have problems with the airline/LATAM.
Any advice?

Thanks, Sergio. I appreciate the advice.

I never actually consulted a "qualified immigration lawyer" when applying for either temporay or permanent residnecy.

My Argentine girlfriend insisted that I use her attorney (who knew almost notning about immigration) to apply for temporary residency in 2006. After I realized they were in cahoots to get me to buy an apartment and put it in her name, I dumped both of them and applied for the temporary residnecy with the help of the "clipboard lady" who I met on the sidewalk, directly in front of my soon to be ex-girlfriend's office after returning from a meeting with her attorney.

If I ever have any doubts about my DNI, I will simply check with the office of the Registro in Punta Alta. They issued the nueva tarjeta in 2014.

I haven't had to deal with the DNM since 2009 (which is the year I was actually granted permanent residency, not 2012 as I wrote yesterday).

I don't think I will ever fail to be present in Argentina for two years or more and, as a result, lose my permanent residency. In fact, I seriously doubt I will ever leave the country again
That is a crazy story! I don't suppose you have the contact info for the 'clipboard lady' whose help I could use now to complete my temporary residency application and qualifying documents? What category did you apply under, btw?

I asked an immigration lawyer about this a few months ago. At that time he said that the immigration authorities had NOT extended the two years due to the pandemic. If this has changed I am not aware of it. As to whether you will be admitted, if your DNI has an expiration date beyond the date of your return it will probably be up to the immigration official at Ezeiza. He may let you in. It's not likely that the airline check in people will know anything about Argentine immigration law, especially if you are leaving anywhere but Miami (and I doubt they'd know anything there - they'll probably just check the expiration of your DNI, if that). Before leaving I would check with a competent immigration lawyer in Argentina - an IMMIGRATION lawyer, not just any lawyer.
Hi there, can you refer me to the immigration lawyer you mention? Thank you!

That is a crazy story! I don't suppose you have the contact info for the 'clipboard lady' whose help I could use now to complete my temporary residency application and qualifying documents? What category did you apply under, btw?
I applied for the visa rentista and yes, I have the contact information for Patricia, but she will not give any advice about the qualifying documents or any part of the process. She will accompany you to migraciones to act as a friendly translator, that's all. Looking back, I am still very grateful for her help when I applied for the residency in 2006, as well as when I renewed the first time.

If you have any questions about the qualifying documents or the process, just ask them here. There are others with recent experience with migraciones who I'm sure will be happy to share information about what you need to do.

I just entered Argentina for the first time in 4 years and not a single question about my permanent residence having expired and migraciones didn't look sideways at my card. It may be b/c my husband and children are Argentine but my DNI is still very much valid.

I just entered Argentina for the first time in 4 years and not a single question about my permanent residence having expired and migraciones didn't look sideways at my card. It may be b/c my husband and children are Argentine but my DNI is still very much valid.

What is the normal validity period of the permanent residence visa? Maybe 15 years? I may not need mine by then....

What is the normal validity period of the permanent residence visa? Maybe 15 years? I may not need mine by then....
Permanent residency is "vaild" as long as you are, provided you enter the country at least once every two years.

It's the DNI that expires 15 years after the date it was issued.

If you expire before then, so does your permanent residency.

I can second this. My ex-husband entered with his permanent resident DNI after not setting foot in Argentina for 2.5 years and nobody ever asked or checked anything. This was pre-pandemic.

He has now been living in Argentina with that same DNI for the past 4 years (even now that we’re divorced) and it’s still 100% valid. He left and entered the country multiple times and even qualified for a repatriation flight during the pandemic.

By contrast, I have permanent residency in Brazil (although I’m based abroad) and go back every 2 years for this very reason, and they ALWAYS check that you haven’t spent more than 2 years abroad.

I can second this. My ex-husband entered with his permanent resident DNI after not setting foot in Argentina for 2.5 years and nobody ever asked or checked anything. This was pre-pandemic.

He has now been living in Argentina with that same DNI for the past 4 years (even now that we’re divorced) and it’s still 100% valid. He left and entered the country multiple times and even qualified for a repatriation flight during the pandemic.

By contrast, I have permanent residency in Brazil (although I’m based abroad) and go back every 2 years for this very reason, and they ALWAYS check that you haven’t spent more than 2 years abroad.

Like many things in Argentina, it's unpredictable. Someone has luck; someone else doesn't.

Back