What Have You Brought And Sold For The Best Profit Margin?

I reckon % wise the markup on whiskey would be good. Prices are nuts here with the import taxes.

That said, it'd never make beyond my grasp as I like to keep a few decent bottles around for those cold winter months. I'll be bringing 2 or 3 bottles back this winter in and around the 70 (official 560pesos ish) dollar mark which would typically would see listed here not for sale or their not as good quality equivalents in and around the 1 to 2k peso region. Depends on taste, I think the locals would go for them as smooth blends (johnnie walker black, chivas blends) sell well here, Irish single pot stills are smoother than their scottish cousins. Jamesons (fairly average stuff) seem to be on a promotional drive in the region although only selling their bottom of the range stuff, the odler jamesons are decent so i suppose you could move those on off the back of the name the cheap stuff seems to be gathering.

Basically - private jet, small landing strip and clandestine route into recoleta and I'd soon shift off a few bottles of good whiskey at even better prices but for the fact that they'd all be diverted to my own collection.

Hmm, well, obviously we wont be pouring Maker's Mark into 100ml bottles for carry-on, so I suppose you carefully pack a couple fifths in your checked baggage? How often does that result in broken glass and booze all over your clothes? :(

I'm thinking seriously about this, I just don't see how the practicalities work?

Yep, Victoria's Secret stuff and baby clothes (tiny and you can buy, say, a 6 pack of onesies and sell them separately). Sports clothes also.

My little sister bought 15 Nike womens running shorts and sold them to a friend's hockey teammates at 4 times their price. Of course, it is not the deal of the century, but she covered some of her travel expenses that way.

Also, bike accessories.

Hmm, well, obviously we wont be pouring Maker's Mark into 100ml bottles for carry-on, so I suppose you carefully pack a couple fifths in your checked baggage? How often does that result in broken glass and booze all over your clothes? :(
Duty Free..carry on.

Duty Free..carry on.

Ah, OK, I haven't flown international since 9/11, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but...

The duty-free shops are after you pass through the TSA junk patdown? So the 100ml 3-1-1 rule doesn't apply to stuff you buy at duty-free?

So the 100ml 3-1-1 rule doesn't apply to stuff you buy at duty-free?

It depends: if you are on a direct flight, it won't (for items bought within the sterile area). If you have a connection flight, it might be if you have to undergo to the security screening again before boarding your connection to the second flight.

Lost one bottle of gin that way in Rome!

Bought a car, drove it around for a few years. Put 20,000km on it, plus a few dents and sold it for $25,000peso more than we paid.

Del boy would be proud of that one ;-)

Back