What is going on?

JoeKelly711

Registered
Ok, so my spanish is almost non existant... but I am working on it.

What is going on in the news? Why is the same story on every news channel? I tried to translate the headline online, but I am unsure of what they are saying..... It doesn't seem like it is too big of a deal but, again, its on every news station.... kind of freaks me out...

Kelly
(just so there is no confusion I am kelly and joe is my boyfriend -we share this account. Joe, who is at work is the one who knows spanish) :)

I believe you are watching a live broadcast of a dispute Argentina has with Uruguay regarding a Paper Factory installed in Botnia, Uruguay. We are against it and they are for it. The dispute is due to the fact that they built the factory rigth on rio de la plata shore, rio de la plata is a river we share with uruguay. Our side claims it will contaminate the river (which is partially ours as well) and they claim nothing´s gonna happen and that they need it cuz it´ll bring many good jobs.
The broadcast takes place in Holland the the funny looking bald dude talking is representing the LA HAYA tribunal (im not sure if that´s how it´s called in english).
This dispute has been going on for ages and it´s suppossed to end today. Both countries agreed that they will obey whatever decision the tribunal takes in this matter. Basically LA HAYA will determine whether the factory has to be closed and or moved to a different location (i.e. rio uruguay) or stay where it is as it is.

The ppl you are seeing live from Gualeguaychu are Argentinians. Gualeguaychu is a city in the province of Entre Rios which borderes the river in the area the factory is located at !

Hope that helps :)

ps: in case you are watching something else, disregard my msg heheheehehe

saludos,

-Juan

No.... that was it. Thank you! I understood bits and pieces but could not put the puzzle together. It makes sense now.

Thank you very much!

kelly :)

And I believe that the paper plant is owned by a Finnish company.

In classic First World (at least Northern & Western European & North American) form, a company builds a polluting factory on the other side of the world from the homeland. They state that the factory does not harm the environment/ its pollution is negligible, and yet they still don't want it anywhere near their borders.

From what I've seen in the past, I think that the factory will be allowed to continue. But I'm not an expert on International Law. Especially as it pertains to the possible polluting of waterways.

I drive across a river every time I come in to town that is so polluted you can smell it (and gag on that smell) for kilometers before you ever get to it. I wonder why Argentina isn't as concerned about some of its other rivers as well...

Hi Napoleon, you are totally right. Im looking at the news right now and they came to a final decision. The plant will remain as it is and their decision is indisputable....this will cause lots of unrest !!
..i guess this will never end then, ppl at Gualeguaychu are gonna go nuts over this decision, the rio de la plata is a big part of their everyday life !

Well, rio de la plata on that area was still untouched, you could drink from it, i guess in a few years from now it will end up like riachuelo as well !

About the riachuelo, there´s a judicial order to start cleaning it up (a bit at time of course and over the next coming years). The fact is our corrupted politicians are dodging that bullet for as long as they can, but eventually they will have start on it. But if the rio de la plata starts getting contaminated then it´s all worthless

ElQueso said:
I drive across a river every time I come in to town that is so polluted you can smell it (and gag on that smell) for kilometers before you ever get to it. I wonder why Argentina isn't as concerned about some of its other rivers as well...

That must be the rio Reconquista - it stinks to high heaven. There are many pollution sources on that river, which has been used as a sewer by everyone on it.

The Botnia plant sits on the Uruguay river, unpolluted and bordered by beautiful sandy beaches. It was built to employ technology banned in Europe, where the company was forced to switch to less polluting technology.

Former Uruguayan President Tabare Vazquez opposed the plant before he was president, but meekly went along with Botnia once he was elected.

Back