What is involved in getting a Driver’s License here?

I got a driver's here in November 2021. My driver's license issued in the US had expired. I am permanent resident in Argentina, and I reside in CABA.
If you are not a permanent resident, I can not offer particulars on the process that would apply in your case.
My process was:
enroll in an auto school online course, and view the course
request a turn for your driver exam
I went to the entrance of the Av. Cln Roca licensing facility and found a business that will rent you a car and get you into the exam site, coordinated with your appointment date
at the Centro at AVe. Cln Roca in Villa Lugano
you first are tested for physical things like hearing, vision, then you proceed to the computer based test on driving rules.
if you pass that test, you go out to meet up with your driver, and you both then enter the road portion of the test. If you pass the behind the wheel test, you park the rental car, and turn the keys over to your driver. Go back into the building, use the computer terminal to affirm the data for your new license. then wait for some minutes while your license is made. I forgot when I was photographed in the process. You will be issued a principiante license, with the stricture you can't drive on any road where the speed limit exceeds 70 kph. after 6 months from issue, you can drive on any road, but if you blow any level of alchohol for 2 years, your license is revoked

Thanks for this detailed message. I am a permanent resident, indeed: just waiting to receive my DNi in the mail.

I just did a physical and took a 50 question test on a computer and that was it. Also, you now have to take a training class on diversification in driving so you can be more woke behind the wheel.

Also the license is only good for a year so it becomes a pita. Actually more trouble than it's worth since I've never once been asked for my license.

I got a driver's here in November 2021. My driver's license issued in the US had expired. I am permanent resident in Argentina, and I reside in CABA.
If you are not a permanent resident, I can not offer particulars on the process that would apply in your case.
My process was:
enroll in an auto school online course, and view the course
request a turn for your driver exam
I went to the entrance of the Av. Cln Roca licensing facility and found a business that will rent you a car and get you into the exam site, coordinated with your appointment date
at the Centro at AVe. Cln Roca in Villa Lugano
you first are tested for physical things like hearing, vision, then you proceed to the computer based test on driving rules.
if you pass that test, you go out to meet up with your driver, and you both then enter the road portion of the test. If you pass the behind the wheel test, you park the rental car, and turn the keys over to your driver. Go back into the building, use the computer terminal to affirm the data for your new license. then wait for some minutes while your license is made. I forgot when I was photographed in the process. You will be issued a principiante license, with the stricture you can't drive on any road where the speed limit exceeds 70 kph. after 6 months from issue, you can drive on any road, but if you blow any level of alchohol for 2 years, your license is revoked

So the moral of the story is to just use your foreign license if it's not expired.

So the moral of the story is to just use your foreign license if it's not expired.
While you can rent a car with a foreign drivers license, you can't get a local car insurance unless you are renting temporarily. So, driving your own car with a foreign license is not really an option.

In some cases, including mine, it has been possible to get an Argentine license without taking either a written exam or a practical driving test by presenting an unexpired foreign license.

Alternatively, you take the course at ACA. You take the exam at their premises, using the same car and on the same "road" (their practice track) where you took the course. It is very easy, there's almost not failing it.

If you go with the Roca option, make sure you don't take the exam with a fancy/expensive car. They'll make the exam more difficult. At least it was like that a few years ago.

Back