What is more “third world” - Buenos Aires or San Francisco

Wherever Leftists are in charge things are going downhill so SF vs BA is just a race to the bottom. I have a home in the Portland suburbs where I spend several months a year and see the results firsthand. Apparently it was the now defunct patriarchy which was keeping law and order.

I grew up in the SF Bay Area. I now live part of the year in Burlingame, a suburban city about 30 minutes from downtown SF. I am currently there right now. The 8th and Market Street area has been a dangerous location long before Covid.

April 12, 2023

....The store at 8th and Market streets will not open Tuesday, the spokesperson said. The store’s website has also disappeared....The San Francisco Standard, an independent news website, reported that this Whole Foods location had previously reduced operating hours last year because of theft and changed its bathrooms after employees found syringes and pipes....

Do you live in SF? I would not wear a Rolex or leave valuables in my car in a parking lot anymore. Public transport is always rolling the dice with mentally ill thugs. They don't enforce laws against shoplifting. A whole foods literally closed down because of the crime. Beautiful architecture but most of it could never get built today
I live ten minutes from the city, and go there regularly. I would not wear a Rolex, because I have better taste, but I'm also not stupid enough to leave valuables in the car in any major city.

In BAires, public transit is rife with pickpockets.
In BAires, criminals are coddled when they steal and a victim fights back - victims are, in fact, blamed.

What's your point?

To purchase goods and get mail? BsAs is more third world. To walk the street? SF. No question, and it's relatively obvious I would think. Can you even have lunch on the sidewalk nowadays in SF? Or put any merchandise on the sidewalk? Societal collapse hasn't happened in BsAs, probably due to demographics and if that point is too harsh....don't care; tell NPR about it.
I had a sidewalk lunch in SF last week (at Tony's), and had my iPhone sitting on the table the whole time. Never worried once.

Was commenting on this post with my husband,and he was saying that in his opinion it is not so much about politics but about mental illness not being addressed in the US in general,then due to California's perfect weather it just attracts people that would find it a lot harder to survive in cities that get snow, etc. In such a rich and developed country,I fail to understand why there is no universal public healthcare system like the Canadian. Public schools seem to work just fine there.
The climate is definitely a factor - let's talk about the homeless in Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Albuquerque, LA, NOLA, etc.

Remember that third-world is outdated terminology. In the past it was to to group the economic size of countries, and had nothing to do with rates of crime. How to name and group countries with smaller economies is still under debate, but it is not correct to use that phrase in a modern conversation. This thread is only talking about the perceived level crime of some countries.

Back