What is more “third world” - Buenos Aires or San Francisco

Homelessness is caused by poverty and poverty is caused by inequality. And inequality is a massive, world-wide problem, period. And as economists such as Thomas Piketty have pointed out: inequality doesn't end happily when enough people get pissed. While waiting for the end, I've found that in most cities in the world, if one understands something about the people and the local social and economic world, speaks some of the language and doesn't act like an asshole, one avoids problems. (Another tip is not to tell people you're American, but something more...neutral. Like Canada. Nobody hates Canadians.)

While "third world" is pretty meaningless, I spend about 6 months north and 6 months south, and I would say that in many ways, Buenos Aires is more civilized, easier to live in with less money, and safer.
The US right now is a war zone on so many levels, and the inflation is officially nonexistent, but eggs cost 6 bucks a dozen and gas is $4.50 a gallon at costco right now. Average rents in most cities are 60% or more of salaries, its a quilombo up here.

While "third world" is pretty meaningless, I spend about 6 months north and 6 months south, and I would say that in many ways, Buenos Aires is more civilized, easier to live in with less money, and safer.
The US right now is a war zone on so many levels, and the inflation is officially nonexistent, but eggs cost 6 bucks a dozen and gas is $4.50 a gallon at costco right now. Average rents in most cities are 60% or more of salaries, its a quilombo up here.
Out of curiosity, what is the average rent in Buenos Aires as a % of the average salary?

I am calling it a tie. Both cities have many first world attributes, though it varies a lot by area. The aspect which I personally feel is 3rd world by Buenos Aires is the high level of dishonesty in business and government. Even many very affluent people chase away future business in order to steal today.

I am calling it a tie. Both cities have many first world attributes, though it varies a lot by area. The aspect which I personally feel is 3rd world by Buenos Aires is the high level of dishonesty in business and government. Even many very affluent people chase away future business in order to steal today.
I vote to end this ridiculous thread on this right here

It's funny how the US is becoming a more chaotic, and economically and politically challenging, place to live - basically becoming like Argentina and yet Argentina is 'better'?

Being lucky enough to be retired on a US pension/ living on a secure higher than average salary and living in a nicer cosmopolitan neighborhood is not the typical Argentine experience. Spend some time in a typical barrio to see the real Argentina. Ask the average working Argentine with a family to support if they'd like to emigrate to Spain or Miami etc if given the possibility.

Are Argentines generally genuinely proud of their country and believe it's an example to follow? Most are not and are quite bemused that Americans would choose to live and work in Argentina.

So not over 40% of people living below the poverty line then?

Back