What is the situation now?

Much epidemiological research before COVID seems to have had a general consensus that quarantines are most effective as a temporary stopgap measure and when targetted at the most vulnerable population. Unfortunately with COVID, lockdowns became more of a political policy than a health measure, and people were either for or against (like with any other political issue). And the WHO (which clearly has been trying to cover its ass throughout) never really made it clear if their priority was to reduce the infection rates or reduce the mortality rate. You don't need to go to med school to know that treatment and prevention are too different things.

In a country like Argentina where it seems like everything is political already and with its history of political violence, things could have actually played out much, much worse. Nowadays, far-right elites in Latin America (with a few exceptions) just fly to their second homes in Miami whenever things get too hot for them, rather than plot military coups.
Hey Renzi, (And I take no pleasure in what I am about to post, because it is tragic what has happened.) It looks like a couple of guys with their daughter, were in that Miami building collapse. What I read was that they were there to get vaccinated among whatever else they were doing. Have no idea if it is true or not, but that was what was authored. Sometimes having the means can get you killed and we don't even know for sure if that is their fate.

Hey Renzi, (And I take no pleasure in what I am about to post, because it is tragic what has happened.) It looks like a couple of guys with their daughter, were in that Miami building collapse. What I read was that they were there to get vaccinated among whatever else they were doing. Have no idea if it is true or not, but that was what was authored. Sometimes having the means can get you killed and we don't even know for sure if that is their fate.
I'll take average any day.

But the experience immediately after the COVID outbreak (i.e. in Wuhan) showed that quarantines do work, and for a long time after, as the first wave spread out and hit country after country, quarantines were the only policy that demonstrably worked. Wuhan was out of quarantine with single numbers of COVID cases by March last year, right?

I see the problems with countries with vastly fewer resources than China, like Argentina, and with entirely different cultural outlooks, applying this, but what policy do you reach for when nothing else has been shown to work? (talking about the first wave here in 2020 in case it's not clear)

as far as the Miami building collapse goes, current news is that possibly 9 Argentines are dead, along with a few Uruguayos, and some Paraguayans as well. Also some Columbians. The building was popular with Latin Americans, and very religious Jews, and there will probably be lots of both dead. 55 apartments are simply gone.

as far as the Miami building collapse goes, current news is that possibly 9 Argentines are dead, along with a few Uruguayos, and some Paraguayans as well. Also some Columbians. The building was popular with Latin Americans, and very religious Jews, and there will probably be lots of both dead. 55 apartments are simply gone.
When I was in Miami Beach in April I walked past that building nearly every day. Such a horrible thing.

. Nowadays, far-right elites in Latin America (with a few exceptions) just fly to their second homes in Miami whenever things get too hot for them, rather than plot military coups.
(above quote edited for brevity)

That's true, but not the whole truth. Operation Condor II has focused, so far, on lawfare rather than military coups. Lava Jato and the legally-questionable ousting of Dilma was a CIA operation. Though that's not to say the corruption it uncovered wasn't real.

When I was in Miami Beach in April I walked past that building nearly every day. Such a horrible thing.

In 2008 I rented a condo in Jupiter Fla, north of Miami, and it also had severe problems with the concrete. A square foot chunk fell out of my terrace floor leaving me able to look down at my neighbors below. I was told that in the 1990's builders used a lot of untrained workers. The construction laws and enforcement in Fla was so lax that they were allowed to complete the development. Over the years since, the condo owners have not wanted to take on the massively expensive project to correct the problem.

(above quote edited for brevity)

That's true, but not the whole truth. Operation Condor II has focused, so far, on lawfare rather than military coups. Lava Jato and the legally-questionable ousting of Dilma was a CIA operation. Though that's not to say the corruption it uncovered wasn't real.

It was fairly obvious that this was an OAS-CIA operation, one of the many regime changes that occurred under the Obama administration.

The most unsettling thing about "Condor II" is that the State Dept's destabilization efforts are being increasingly outsourced to corporate Evangelicals, who are the driving force behind the right in Latin America right now, most notably in Brazil and Colombia.

Back