What is wrong with these people!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BASailor said:
So how about you stop trying to play my parents' role? I'm 50 y.o. so I lived a lot boy. The truth can be sad but you must be honest.

Okay, so you're not just an idiot. You're a 50 year old idiot. Good to know.

nicoenarg said:
Okay, so you're not just an idiot. You're a 50 year old idiot. Good to know.

Yes I am! Just like you.
If I am wrong, please let us know by writing something with a little bit of understanding of the world we live in.

steveinbsas said:
I agree 100%

Laws outlawing guns will never prevent outlaws from having guns.

I don't think most gun control advocates are interested in outlawing guns outright or prying them out of the hands of worthy-proven citizens. They just want some sanity and application of common sense. Every American doesn't need and should not be due unlimited and unobstructed access to military grade assault rifles or high capacity cartridges or maximum damage causing hollow tipped ammunition. Owning chest of guns should at most be a cautiously administered privilege, not an absolute right. It's unjustifiable and absurd that it is legal for the gun industry to pump out a never-ending tsunami of lethal weapons to flood our streets and without even basic meaningful restrictions. Of course there is a balance to be struck between blatant immoral neglect and allowing ourselves the right to protect our families, but where we are now is so far outside of the bounds of reason and responsibility that it's mind-blowing. It's time that we seriously evaluate our society in this regard like thoughtful intelligent human beings and not mindless fools. The day we wake up is the day our politicians wake up too. The flawed notion that "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a self-destructive mentality that continues to reassure the unenlightened yet unfortunately all-powerful zealots within the NRA and their backers that more guns is the answer to the problem and not a large part of the problem itself. Sick or malevolent criminals kill people, A LOT of people, in large part because they are able to stock up.

Terkild and BAsailor, all the world loves to suck up the filth and garbage Hollywood pukes out, not just Americans themselves. For whatever reason, sadly, it seems that the vapidness and violence which comes out of Hollywood is simply the lowest common denominator when it comes to entertaining the masses and making a profit, I bet including in your countries too. The reason why European films are typically different is because their budgets are different too. But these movies and video games are not reflective of American culture, nor is the unfortunate recurrence of these horrible events. Do you have any American friends? Are they perverts for guns and violence?

There's a lot of maps going around. I saw one on CNN that compared gun laws/restrictions to mass shootings and there was little correlation. California and New York, two of the states with highest gun control laws, also have had cases of mass shootings. So have Washington and Colorado, which have medium gun control laws. http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/scorecard/CO/
Mass shootings happen everywhere and they don't seem to discriminate much.
http://www.cchsoracle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Mass_SHOOTINGS-CO.jpg

As sad as these events are, and as normal it is to want to try to prevent it, you cannot stop these crazy people by gun laws. They either break the law, or find some other (legal or illegal) way to inflict mass harm to people. I don't know what it is we need to change as a society or a culture to stop this from happening - if it's even possible to stop - but stricter gun control laws don't seem to be the answer.

The problem is America is so full of guns i don't see how they could fix it now.

There are 88.8 guns per 100 residents in the USA.

and per 100,000 population 10.27 deaths.

If you look at the countries with strict rules you can see there are far fewer gun related deaths.

This also happened in a cinema 20 minutes into the film. It wasn't until the second time he opened fire that people realised what was going on and imagine if everyone did have a gun, who would shoot who? In the darkness of a cinema with the film playing it would be absolute chaos and most likely even more people would have been hurt and killed.

Shwidelson said:
Every American doesn't need and should not be due unlimited and unobstructed access to military grade assault rifles or high capacity cartridges or maximum damage causing hollow tipped ammunition

Not even close to reality.

Swindelson, you should do a little research on the CURRENT gun laws in the United States. You obviously have a very misguided and uninformed opinion. Please come back to us with the gun and ammo purchase restriction laws including FBI background check and waiting times, caliber, classification, and permitted ammo, state by state. FYI - there are 50 states in the United States and each has different laws in case you didn't know.

Many thanks!

GS_Dirtboy said:
Nope.

Swindelson, you should do a little research on the CURRENT gun laws in the United States. You obviously have a very misguided and uninformed opinion.

For anyone who is doesn't know, the overarching Federal Assault Weapons Ban sadly expired on September 13, 2004, as part of the law's sunset provision, leaving it up to each of 50 states to to find the ability and political will to manage the production and flow of these weapons. Chaos. It's clear that the bulk of specific state laws currently in place are not strict enough and are likely not enforced thoroughly. Maybe new and enforceable laws to hinder interstate trafficking should be the focus. Or maybe the states should be trumped by federal regulation on this matter. Even if I am misinformed on the specifics, how can you say my opinion that the US is outrageously awash with powerful weapons due to lax control is misguided?

Welcome a debate with serious and respectful insights or thoughts on what induces some (very few) unbalanced people to commit such despicable acts.

The gun made them do it does not explain it.

There are other countries but the US where such type weaponry is also available, yet people do not indulge in similar practices (Switzerland, etc.). There are other countries where guns are not readily available to the general population yet they kill each other as a national sport (Mexico).
In between there are most countries, where guns are available in different measures yet the active shooter scenario is unheard of.
Finally, there are all those responsible gun owners in the US, and they aren't few, that refrain from these murdering acts yet some of you gladly put them in the same bag with the madmen, just because they own guns.

Welcome thoughtful dialogue. Please stop the nonsense (someone called it the painful truth) .

This should not be about guns, this MUST be about people's (extraordinay/aberrant) behaviour and what fuels and triggers it.

Shwidelson said:
Terkild and BAsailor, all the world loves to suck up the filth and garbage Hollywood pukes out, not just Americans themselves. For whatever reason, sadly, it seems that the vapidness and violence which comes out of Hollywood is simply the lowest common denominator when it comes to entertaining the masses and making a profit, I bet including in your countries too. The reason why European films are typically different is because their budgets are different too. But these movies and video games are not reflective of American culture, nor is the unfortunate recurrence of these horrible events. Do you have any American friends? Are they perverts for guns and violence?
1.Not at all, it's not about budgets, it's about a view on life in general, and is has to do with culture.
2. Yes they are reflective of a certain culture.
And I don't have "north american" friends (you can see how biased north american culture is, as they say only american...but America is much more than North America) but I met many North Americans and I worked for them many times. All North American people I met would agree with my point of view on guns and violence. All of them are reasonable people and none of them had a gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back