What is wrong with these people!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iznogud said:
There are other countries where guns are not readily available to the general population yet they kill each other as a national sport (Mexico).

The guns in Mexico pour down from the US and arm the drug traffickers, the people who are doing all of the killing. So our insanity is not only affecting ourselves but other countries too.

BASailor said:
And I don't have "north american" friends (you can see how biased north american culture is, as they say only american...but America is much more than North America) .

Come on, man. This is a totally obnoxious sticking point. It's quite a pain in the ass to have to say "people from the United States" all of the time when having a discussion. Give me a break.

BASailor said:
1.Not at all, it's not about budgets, it's about a view on life in general, and is has to do with culture.
2. Yes they are reflective of a certain culture.
And I don't have "north american" friends (you can see how biased north american culture is, as they say only american...but America is much more than North America) but I met many North Americans and I worked for them many times. All North American people I met would agree with my point of view on guns and violence. All of them are reasonable people and none of them had a gun.

Wow, I think you guys have a very "selective" view of Europe and its culture. I do not think you guys realize how similar the entertainment industry in Europe is to that of the USA.

1) There MANY highly violent video-games that came from Europe. Tiles such as Far cry, Crysis, Risen, the Gothic series, Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate, Alone in The Dark, etc...One European title in particular that comes to mind was Technocop. Relased in 90s, it was considered the most violent video game ever released until then.
One of the largest video-game publishers in the world is Ubisoft, a FRENCH company, headquartered in Rennes. Check their website and see for yourself what this 100% European company is producing and selling around the world.
http://www.ubi.com/fr/

2) Europe has a long history of producing highly trashy and violent movies. A few examples that come to mind include:

- Cannibal Holocaust (Italy)
- Switchblade Romance (France)
- Martyrs (France)
- 28 Days later (UK)
- The Human Centipede (Netherlands) probably the sickest movie ever produced
- Let The Right One In (Sweden)
- Iron Sky (Finland) One of the best movies of the year

3) I see no evidence of any "European Cultural Superiority" over the US. The masses in Europe like to consume as much junk as the USA. If you are going to judge a country for the crap its masses consume, what does this video says about Europe and its supposedly cultural sophistication?

Instead of focusing on the real issue (how to stop murderers who want to kill a lot of people before they kill them) the debate gets sidetracked into a gun-control question.

Seriously, I could give you a 3-hour class on home-made bombs and you would have enough knowledge to blow up the entire theater.

So, do we outlaw the common household chemicals you could use from your kitchen/bathroom? Do we outlaw the ball bearings? Do we outlaw the disposable cell phone you will use to detonate the device? While we are at it we should definitely outlaw axes (eg Lizzie Borden), cars (10,000 drunk driving deaths USA 2011), machetes (10000's African women and children dead), and butcher knives (Richard Speck, Chicago).

BASailor said:
What would you expect from a culture which love weapons and make wars?

so why do you think argentinies burn so many wives and girlfriends in domestic disputes? because we love cigarrettes??

Please provide unquestionable stats that support burning your significant other is a regular practice in Argentina or by argentines.
How many are "so many"?
How many sampled cases provide enough base for a generalization of this magnitude?

The stupid remains strong in this thread.

"What is wrong with these people!?"

I can't believe no one has said this yet. Mental illness is the problem. My two cents: Mental illness in a country where where mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Stigma+expensive treatment+lack of awareness= a dangerous combination. Obviously we don't know all the details of this particular crime, but come on. These guys are always mentally ill. It always comes out later.

The real problem is mental illness left untreated. All of this gun stuff is secondary at best, and misses the root of the issue.

Don said:
So far I saw no evidence that the accused had any economic constrains that prevented him from receiving treatment for a possible mental illness. He was from an upper middle class family and was getting a PhD in Neurosciences at CU Denver. So we are not talking about someone from the "excluded masses" here.

Iznogud said:
Please provide unquestionable stats that support burning your significant other is a regular practice in Argentina or by argentines.
How many are "so many"?
How many sampled cases provide enough base for a generalization of this magnitude?

The stupid remains strong in this thread.

irony 101 : FAIL

the stupid remains strong in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back