What Is Your Favorite Argentine Tv Channel?

What is your favorite Argentine TV channel?

• Telefe

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • El Trece

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Canal 9

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • América 24

• Canal 7

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Canal 23

• Canal 5 (C5N)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Telesur

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • TN 24 Horas

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • America en Vivo

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Cronica TV

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • 360 TV

• Total voters
Anything other than pagina 12 and the vacuous recycling of stage managed, government controlled, debate free zombie-vision, aka public TV.

Mostly I'd rather take the dog for a walk and watch movies or series I have downloaded.

Canal 7 is pretty good: they have wonderful nature documentaries at 19hs each weekday, good film cycles (if you can stay up to midnight), a wonderful talk show with teenagers in the afternoons (sadly the best political debate on TV, where they make everyone back up their statments with facts, and include everyone from the political spectrum, from pro to po). There is a science/math show every Saturday that is excellent, I think at 11am, and an international news hour after that. Sorry if I don´t know the exact times! So give it a chance Dublin2BuenosAires--you may be pleasantly surprised! Not all of it is 678.

But I do have a soft spot in my heart for Cronica. . .

I only watch the news (I`m a journalist). But it is terrible.

I find myself unable to explain to Argentines what I actually do, since there is nothing even remotely comparable here.

RR

I have watched mostly, "noticias prime time" in diff countries such as in Colmbia,Venezuela,Ecuador,Peru etc. I have noticed that these countries uses some knock out girls as newscasters. Me thinking, these girls mostly suited to starring in other kind of _movies_ but the T.V. Never seen the female casters in AR TV, are they as good and hot looking as in the other latin countries?

A novel idea would be to put opposing political characters in the same studio to discuss matters of great significance.
Maybe even more than once would be good.

Seconding ajoknoblauch, none of the above.

I didn't even have cable in North America, I can watch whatever I want online, usually streaming or ~2 hours after it shows live.
I'll indulge in FOX (en SAP ofc) at my friend's mom's place/friends' houses for The Simpsons or movies, but other than 10-15 mins
of Telefé during dinner while staying at my friends' neither one of us watch TV.

If we're talking about news I've never been a huge fan of local media, so I do the following:

America: MSNBC, Al Jazeera America, Salon, Huffington Post, Mother Jones, The Boston Globe, The Toronto Star, and Politico

Europe: The Guardian, The Independent, BBC, Le Monde, La Repubblica, and occasionally Der Spiegel and Svergies Radio

Middle East: BBC, Al Jazeera, Haaretz

Asia-Pacific: South China Morning Post, The Sydney Morning Herald, NHK, and People's Daily

South America: El Tiempo, MercoPress, The Buenos Aires Herald (Reluctantly), Página/12 and generally anything not La Nación/Clarín

Edit: I should point out I'm aware of the biases of theses organizations and my own (left wing, pro civil rights/liberties) and should read
more opposing points of view.
WOW! Gee whiz. I'm impressed.

3 is the most convenient button for me to press on the remote and TN hasn't failed with the local news so far. Plus I love their rock and roll background music!

El Diario con Eduardo Feinmann - weeknights at 6pm. At some point during the last wave of tomas de colegios he realised self parody paid the bills better than (aspirational) journalism and since then despite others trying to take the same path (hello Nelson Castro!) he has been untouchable - highly recommended and unmissable if there is a whiff of toma, leftist idealogy or porro in the news.

Montauk is right, don't dismiss the whole channel because of a few shows (even 678 can be worthwhile beyond the banal reports depending on the issue, the panel and the invited guests). The international analysis show on Saturday is well worth watching and the movie show of the two cinephiles (one of whom is now sadly gravely ill) is always full of surprises.

If you take out the dinosaurs with their apocalyptic visions and strange fantasies (Grondona, Morales Solá and Nelson) the political talk and interview shows can be of a pretty high standard - they certainly seem to have a higher opinion of the intelligence of their audience than much of what passes for news talk and analysis on commerical TV in English speaking world.

One unexpected discovery I made is Alejandro Fantino. Animales Sueltos has traditionally been another one of those gossip shows on a sprawling set with a freak show of washed up vedettes and dirty old men all talking over the top of one another, but just over a year ago I caught him doing a fantastic one on one interview with Aníbal Fernández where he actually left Aníbal without words on a number of occasions. I still havent worked out how often he does these interviews before the circus begins but if you ever catch one check it out. Last week there was a fascinating screaming match about economic policy with Luis Novaresio and Tomas Bulat and three guests I didn't recognise who either championed the 90's Cavallo model or the whatever the hell these people are doing now model - it really cut to the bone about some of the incredibly simplistic thinking that has been applied to economic policy here historically.

Seconding ajoknoblauch, none of the above.

I didn't even have cable in North America, I can watch whatever I want online, usually streaming or ~2 hours after it shows live.
I'll indulge in FOX (en SAP ofc) at my friend's mom's place/friends' houses for The Simpsons or movies, but other than 10-15 mins
of Telefé during dinner while staying at my friends' neither one of us watch TV.

If we're talking about news I've never been a huge fan of local media, so I do the following:

America: MSNBC, Al Jazeera America, Salon, Huffington Post, Mother Jones, The Boston Globe, The Toronto Star, and Politico

Europe: The Guardian, The Independent, BBC, Le Monde, La Repubblica, and occasionally Der Spiegel and Svergies Radio

Middle East: BBC, Al Jazeera, Haaretz

Asia-Pacific: South China Morning Post, The Sydney Morning Herald, NHK, and People's Daily

South America: El Tiempo, MercoPress, The Buenos Aires Herald (Reluctantly), Página/12 and generally anything not La Nación/Clarín

Edit: I should point out I'm aware of the biases of theses organizations and my own (left wing, pro civil rights/liberties) and should read
more opposing points of view.

Quite the same here (I never watch TV)

For the news:

America: NYTimes, Washington Post, NYPost (for the garbage news)

Europe: Courrier International, PressEurope.eu, Guardian, BBC, Le Monde, Le Point, French Extreme Right & Left news sites (often garbage but they'll sometimes publish news that don't show up elsewhere), Le Temps (Swiss), El Pais, Pravda (Russia), Le Soir (Belgium)

Middle East: Haaretz, El Watan (Algeria), L'Orient-Le Jour (Lebanon), JSSNews (French/Israeli news, quite on the Right spectrum)

Asia-Pacific: almost nothing, sometimes some Chinese sites

South America: MercoPress, Clarin/La Nacion/Página 12

Back