What Latin American Countries have normal, working mail service?

la_guachita

Registered
Hello! I have to get a number of electronic and other items from Amazon so I was thinking to combine a trip (to a country with a working postal service) and get them delivered to wherever I go. My question is what Latin American country could I go to where I will have no problem receiving items ordered online? Last year I took a trip to Portugal thinking I could get the items delivered there, but it turns out they also have a Kafkian postal service. I discovered Uruguay also has the same problem. I'd like to go to Colombia -- can you easily get mail there? How about Chile? Mexico? Any ideas? I know there are muling services but I need a number of items and I don't find it practical because I can't inspect the items to make sure they work before bringing them back and I've already been stuck with an number of non-working items ordered from Amazon that I had no way to get a refund for. Thanks!

I'm confused. Flying to Miami is a lot of money. A lot more than going to another Latin American country, so I am confused by this suggestion. Also I would have to pay for hotels and all that.

Thanks for the link above, but I don't understand why I would need third party service. You can't just order from Amazon directly and have it delivered in Chile?

Good luck. You don't seem to really want advise. Fly to Miami. Get your stuff. All done. Nothing else works very well.

I am remembering why I left this forum. Not only did my question not get answered, I even got a condescending, presumptuous pm about how I need to adjust to life here. Yeah, after 16 years — thanks for the advice! I figured out the problem on my own -- turns out there are other Latin American countries where you an receive Amazon despite what you all say.

Which countries?

In Argentina, I have a local friend who receives books from Amazon. He explained books are "allowed" while other products are not. I never followed up to understand what this meant, any ideas?

Your don’t pay taxes on books. They come marked as documents. It’s legal. I order my books from www.thebookdepository.com. They ship for free. They don’t give you a tracking number but all those packages have arrived.

I have a 50% success rate on items shipped from Wish and about 90% clothes from Rosegal.

You can’t have any oral pills sent to you, medical or not. Not even vitamins. Anything that is taken orally has to be approved in a rather complicated process.

Your don’t pay taxes on books. They come marked as documents. It’s legal. I order my books from www.thebookdepository.com. They ship for free. They don’t give you a tracking number but all those packages have arrived.

I have a 50% success rate on items shipped from Wish and about 90% clothes from Rosegal.

You can’t have any oral pills sent to you, medical or not. Not even vitamins. Anything that is taken orally has to be approved in a rather complicated process.

Thanks for this useful link

There are several forwarding services in Paraguay that work with Amazon. Packages are sent to Miami and then to Asuncion or CDE. They also make sure their customers are not over-charged by customs.

Back