What This Means For Ex Pats

I think it's safe to say by the election results that CFK will definitely be back. It's hard to imagine any scenario where Macri can turn things around so quickly. The election results were pretty convincing. Absolutely once CFK is back in office (and you KNOW she will be the one controlling things), there will be major currency controls, restrictions on financial transactions, fraudulent data on inflation amongst other things. I can't even imagine what taxes/laws/changes she will put on real estate.

Anyone foolish enough not to have gotten their funds out of Argentina will surely be in a rush to do it before CFK comes back in office.

I can't imagine any ex-pat that is still in Argentina unless they have deep pockets or a steady and stable income/retirement/pension in US dollars/Euros/Stable foreign currency. If so then as crazy as Argentina is it really doesn't matter too much. The thing I'd worry more about is instability with crime because when people get desperate they do desperate things.

I really enjoy visiting a few times a year MUCH more than living there. As much as I love Argentina I don't miss living there.

CFK is a clearly narciscistic and emotionally unbalanced person and yet she will be happily welcomed back by more than half the country. Trump is similar but not so unhinged and at least (for now) the US 'works' day to day. Thats Argentina set back for 10 years. Real Shame.

When K wins, I wonder if we will see the likes of Matias and the other paid government mouth pieces back here again.

One near certainty: no high level American politicians will be visiting Argentina in the next 4.5 years. With the common thief in power, Argentina becomes irrelevant to the rest of the world.

As I have said before, there are only two types of people in this world who care about Argentina: Argentines and expats crazy enough to live in Argentina.

One near certainty: no high level American politicians will be visiting Argentina in the next 4.5 years. With the common thief in power, Argentina becomes irrelevant to the rest of the world.

As I have said before, there are only two types of people in this world who care about Argentina: Argentines and expats crazy enough to live in Argentina.

Agreed but going back to the main point in my first post- It seems that there were more of us “crazy expats” living here during the CFK years, and albeit there were complaints about Cristina’s crazy ways regarding not being able to get foreign currency or imported goods, most people sounded like they were doing OK more or less, these frustrations aside. I feel it’s the massive inflation that’s gotten so out of control during the Macri regime that’s driven most of these people out, also for many people doing the ‘perma tourist’ thing, I find that under Macri they have been cracking down harder on this, as CFK generally welcomed “illegals” and even set them up with ‘planes’ (I understand most perma tourists don’t use the system like this) in hopes of them becoming voters at some point.

I’m not fan of any lefty governments but if Cristina does something to curb the inflation, which will surely be by cooking the numbers and once again offering heavy and unrealistic subsidies, I’m not sure that for ex pats it would be such a bad deal to live here.

Agreed but going back to the main point in my first post- It seems that there were more of us “crazy expats” living here during the CFK years, and albeit there were complaints about Cristina’s crazy ways regarding not being able to get foreign currency or imported goods, most people sounded like they were doing OK more or less, these frustrations aside. I feel it’s the massive inflation that’s gotten so out of control during the Macri regime that’s driven most of these people out, also for many people doing the ‘perma tourist’ thing, I find that under Macri they have been cracking down harder on this, as CFK generally welcomed “illegals” and even set them up with ‘planes’ (I understand most perma tourists don’t use the system like this) in hopes of them becoming voters at some point.

I’m not fan of any lefty governments but if Cristina does something to curb the inflation, which will surely be by cooking the numbers and once again offering heavy and unrealistic subsidies, I’m not sure that for ex pats it would be such a bad deal to live here.

How will phony inflation figures help expats? Prices will still go up. And how will it help expats if there are severe restrictions on selling property and getting the money out of the country? And how will it help if sales must be in pesos?

As a "cosmic orphan" with no living relatives or blood family in the world, I don't have anyone or anything
to "go back to" vis-a-vis the US, so I am happily here with my Argentine wife and her family as my home
base both physically and emotionally. So be it. I can just hope that the revanchement to the K days, such
as they may be, are more survivable than the last time. But we'll certainly see soon. I've been here without
return to the US since 2005, and have pretty much seen it all. But, like many Argentines, probably haven't
learned much. Maybe I was an Argentine in a prior life!

Good luck to us all, and especially to this special and even unusual place.

As a "cosmic orphan" with no living relatives or blood family in the world, I don't have anyone or anything
to "go back to" vis-a-vis the US, so I am happily here with my Argentine wife and her family as my home
base both physically and emotionally. So be it. I can just hope that the revanchement to the K days, such
as they may be, are more survivable than the last time. But we'll certainly see soon. I've been here without
return to the US since 2005, and have pretty much seen it all. But, like many Argentines, probably haven't
learned much. Maybe I was an Argentine in a prior life!

Good luck to us all, and especially to this special and even unusual place.

It took years before Venezuela reached its current state and it will take longer to destroy Argentina but the writing is on the wall.

Flour 30 % up ...no bread.. bakers unable to price bread. . Bad luck for bread eaters ..! however a baguette with prosciutto and pickles is welcomed once in a while ..( Nichons are always welcome...)

Back